Author Topic: Vehicle turret blacklist?  (Read 308 times)

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
  • My intuition does not prevent me from eating rocks
    • View Profile
Vehicle turret blacklist?
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
Like the title says, is there a way to set a blacklist for creatures that are targeted by vehicle turrets? I am asking this because it seems that my mounted laser rifles have decided that cattle need to be exterminated; I lost a few cattle by accident when I passed by them in my vehicle.

I should also note that this is the default vehicle system as the only mods I have are "Disable npc needs" and "Filthy clothing".

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle turret blacklist?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
Huh, my turrets only seem to shoot things that turn hostile.
(click to show/hide)

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
Maybe cattle can turn hostile?

"The domestic cow, a baleful, ruminating farm animal. It is quite muscular, and the males can have a violent streak to accompany their nasty-looking horns."
Taken from the wiki, I have seen this description in game and I tested if they could go hostile. As far as I know they don't, but the description seems to show otherwise.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
Maybe you should switch off the turrets as you're traveling, and only activate them when there is real danger.

Question: Are you playing the stable or experimental version?

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »
I love my turrets so much that I can't turn them off. They create a nice little safety area around me :)

I always play the experimentals. Although, my version is probably slightly outdated (I don't know how to find the version :P) and this is the first time I compiled it myself (on Ubuntu).

Edit: Is the number that shows up on the main window the latest change or something? Because mine shows cf919fc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:24:00 PM by jacob.exe »

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »
It should say what version it is on the file itself. Still, turning the turrets off when you're camping out should make it so that you won't kill cows. Since I don't use turrets in my playthroughs I can't give that much advice on them.

Is it possible to switch what your turret will and will not target? By this I mean killing hostile creatures only.

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »
It should say what version it is on the file itself. Still, turning the turrets off when you're camping out should make it so that you won't kill cows.
I downloaded from the git repository for my version of CDDA, so it is just labeled as "Cataclysm - DDA". The cattle are enclosed in a large pen that they spawned in and my base is a few map tiles away from them, so I don't really run into the issue of them getting killed while I am doing things other than driving. And I have learned to keep clear of the cow pen when in a vehicle now.

Is it possible to switch what your turret will and will not target? By this I mean killing hostile creatures only.
That's what I am wondering myself (hence why this topic exists).

Since I don't use turrets in my playthroughs I can't give that much advice on them.
Why don't you use vehicle turrets? Is it a balance thing?