Author Topic: Is there a faster way to chop down trees and subsequent trunks?  (Read 459 times)

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
  • My intuition does not prevent me from eating rocks
    • View Profile
Is there a faster way to chop down trees and subsequent trunks?
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:49:43 PM »
For both the disposal of and utilization of trees, it takes a long time to chop them and their trucks in bulk.

It takes my character 30 minutes to chop down a tree and then 1 hour for each trunk, I am just about as late game as you can get with post alpha and a myriad of installed bionics along with the ability to craft just about anything I could ever need... so why can I not find a better way to cut wood than using just a wood axe? I made a chain saw hoping that it could fell trees faster, but it take just as long as the wood axe.

The reason why I am asking is because I am making a large static base after an entire game of being nomadic and I need a lot of logs and planks.

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a faster way to chop down trees and subsequent trunks?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:07:17 AM »
Disposal is easy. Burn with flamethrower, or run over in a car.

Utilization is slow.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:16:53 AM »

Utilization is slow.
I now plan to make a separate build item for chainsaws as surly a chain saw would be much faster than any axe.

Offline Kryxx

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 03:02:35 AM »

Utilization is slow.
I now plan to make a separate build item for chainsaws as surly a chain saw would be much faster than any axe.

I wouldn't touch times at all, if anything make them higher for an axe.  I've done a fair amount of logging and cutting to clear land for my horses.  30 minutes is about right for cutting down a tree with a chainsaw, chopping the limbs off and into decent size logs, leveraging so it falls correctly and doesn't pinch the blade. Moving them out of the way etc.    Especially alone.  You don't rush it, a slip and you can cut feet/legs, or if something follows through too easy.

With an axe it really should be into the 1-2 hr range to chop down the tree's and cut it into moveable logs.  Which is what like 3-4 feet?  That's about as much I could personally pick up as 165lb person in solid shape.  I'd estimate those were 80-100lbs or more from a 10-16inch trees that were not dead. Heavier than 50-60lb bales of hay, about as heavy as I'd want to move myself.  Checking out an online log calculator for basswood average weight 1 foot around, 3 feet long is 83 lbs, as it's a lighter wood, Birch is 120lbs for same length. White pine is 91lbs.

Removing trunks is never 'easily' even with current grinders. There is a reason companies charge like thousands of dollars to chop down big tree's and a few grand more to grind trunks out.

The easier way is to pour in a bag or 2 of charcoal.  Light it up and in a 1/2 day or so it'll burn the trunk down enough (this is for like 2ft + trunks), that you can maybe chop the rest of it that doesn't burn out.   You don't really need to worry about it like running 'wild' unless there's lot of loose grass nearby.

Quote from: dharthoorn
IP laws are one first world problem a zombie apocalypse would solve and make the world a less ugly and especially less greedy place.

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
  • My intuition does not prevent me from eating rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:02:08 AM »
Removing trunks is never 'easily' even with current grinders. There is a reason companies charge like thousands of dollars to chop down big tree's and a few grand more to grind trunks out.

I don't know... I have seen what a chainsaw can do to a section of trunk, and it certainly does not take an hour. Honestly, I can split a section of trunk with an actual wood axe in under an hour and I am pretty scrawny (although the time to do it largely depends of the radius).

Maybe I am getting the wrong impression of what a "trunk" is in Cataclysm.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:04:46 AM by jacob.exe »

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »
The actual cutting yea, it takes less than those times, but the prep time for doing it right and safely always brings the amount of time used up.

To increase efficiency try and make falling trees hit other trees, it will knock them down.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:13:52 PM by TheKobold »