Author Topic: New Website Launched, Kickstarter Announced!  (Read 18290 times)

Offline uzername

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: New Website Launched, Kickstarter Announced!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
New website design is nice. But do we really different language support? Now only navigation elements are translated, but articles are still in English. Is it necessary to translate them too? I may translate them to
(click to show/hide)

Change please forum graphics theme from black to gray (the similar style as the website).

Offline Vronkio

• NPC
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »
I volunteer for doing a Portuguese translation.

Offline Máté

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »
Would be great, if the game supported Unicode, I have about 8 extra letters, double with caps.
Also, it would make things easier for people with completely different characters, for example Russian has only about 10 characters from the Latin alphabet.

Offline Máté

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
New website design is nice. But do we really different language support? Now only navigation elements are translated, but articles are still in English. Is it necessary to translate them too? I may translate them to
(click to show/hide)

Change please forum graphics theme from black to gray (the similar style as the website).
How do you even play the game?

Offline Soron

• Code Wrangler
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Internationalization would indeed take a lot of under-the-hood changes, on top of needing to actually get the game translated. We'd have to set up a way to grab the appropriate text in the appropriate language, and for a lot of languages, we'd also need to enable unicode support. Both of those require a substantial amount of work, although they're doable.

It's something that we're considering, but there are a few higher-priority big projects on our list.

Offline Avaa

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
I also doubt the immediate need for internationalization.
Cataclysm as an (at the moment) ASCII - based rougelike, with all the complexity and the learning curve that implies, appeals to a certain demographic that I assume has at least basic english skills.
This is, mind you, an ignorant guess on my side and localisation would of course always be a good thing, but personally I would, even as a non-native speaker, always prefer the english original.
Development time spent on improving the game would benefir it, for the moment, a lot more then trying to localize it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:29:43 PM by Avaa »

Offline Máté

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Serious question: how does one with a Cyrillic/Greek/Hebrew/Arabic/whatever keyboard play the game? I don't seem to be able to use my non-English letters, what is playing on a keyboard that has only non-English letters like?

Offline Fengferth

• Zombie Food
  • Epicly failing, one death at a time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
I haven't been around for awhile, just wanted to say donation-style kickstarter is a pretty nice idea. I was actually wondering why you didn't have ads on the main site as a way to even further fund the development.

Even though I haven't been following for the past few weeks I just wanted to give you guys a pat on the back, I'm seeing some nice changes in the git changelog.
Like Let's Plays? like Cataclysm? Watch me cover updates and fail miserably Here

1 Million kuddos to the DDA team for keeping the game alive <3

Offline Sharp

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
Serious question: how does one with a Cyrillic/Greek/Hebrew/Arabic/whatever keyboard play the game? I don't seem to be able to use my non-English letters, what is playing on a keyboard that has only non-English letters like?

Have you tried changing the key bindings? Go to the help menu at main screen or press ? in game then 1 for the key listings.

You should be able to use non-english letters then, I can rebind keys to even accept ¿ which I have to enter by using alt-codes.

P.S.

Whales seems to think the kickstarter is ok according to his twitter.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:19:58 PM by Sharp »

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:13 PM »
Actually, about half our fanbase (from the numbers we've seen) don't have English as their native language. A not-insignificant portion of those can't speak English at all.

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
Quote from: Máté

I'll play catch...
I found one of my unattended installations of WinXP_SP3 arabic codepaged. Meaning that if you wanted to, you could do all your work in eastern/arabic script. Text layout is completely different so you can only use above average-commercial utilities and programs. On the other hand, you can install support for other languages (western/eastern/whatevah) and switch appropriately.
Of course, people tend to have multiple OS machines so their installations wouldn't omit for unfair reason. I like having some win16 support anywhere; also, w9x games are very sensitive on the issue and won't run if you don't set up the environment to US standards.
But it's all just part of growing up, and here - CataDDA is the toddler. :D
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline Benedict

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
I'd love to help translate the game into French, if that ever becomes a possibility. :D

I can also try and translate into German, but I can't promise I'd be much good (and I'm sure we have some native German speakers on here somewhere).
Think you can write a good guide to DDA?

Please add to the guides on the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

Offline Pux

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »
I can also try and translate into German, but I can't promise I'd be much good (and I'm sure we have some native German speakers on here somewhere).

As a German I'd be happy to help :)

Offline Benedict

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
Awesome!

I'd obviously be happy to help, but you'd probably be much better than me at translating (I only did German in school until I was 18) :D
Think you can write a good guide to DDA?

Please add to the guides on the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »
Awesome!

I'd obviously be happy to help, but you'd probably be much better than me at translating (I only did German in school until I was 18) :D

Mich auch.