Author Topic: Prospector  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Binky

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Prospector
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this roguelike (I hadn't) called Prospector: http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

It's a space exploration/scavenge game with a lot of interesting mechanics/ideas (I've always wanted a proper 'captain a ship' game). It seems to have a lot of potential, but I found it a bit buggy/unpolished (it is version 0.2 though) - especially the other critters which seemed to constantly bump into me with a message about wanting to attack them.

Anyway, I just though it might be worth a look for anyone looking for a space themed game.

gtaguy

Re: Prospector
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:37 AM »
I had fun with it, but they don't have updates every week.

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
Holy Slow DevCycle Batman.
I played this years ago, and it was .1.9 then.
They haven't even made it to .3
I had all but considered it abandoned... and considering the rate of development, it nearly is.

gtaguy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »
Me too, I thought it was given up. Hey anyone here torrent play Kerbal Space Program?

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
gtaguy, you apparently need to get into a habit of posting new topics, cause you sure as hell seem to try to derail just about everything/can't manage to stay on-topic.

gtaguy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
Prospector is dead.

Offline Drakasin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Prospector is dead.

The king is dead, long live the king! (But who's the new king? Can't seem to find a good roguelike alternative to Prospector...)

And yes, I played Prospector well over a year ago (more like two, since I played it when 0.2.3 came out). And yes, it's fun, but the development isn't anything spectacular.

But I somehow still belive that one day it will rise again from the ashes of abandonment and it will flourish like never before. Just like Cataclysm (for those who don'T know - before becoming popular, Cataclysm was abandoned for a year and it was after the year that Whales came back to it and Cataclysm started to make a name in the roguelike world)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:05:39 PM by Drakasin »

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Offline Binky

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:05 AM »
Yeah, for me it needs quite a bit more polish to be something that I'd actually play for any length of time. It seems to have gotten into a bit of a 'new features for new features' rut as some of the bugs/issues make it pretty unplayable and the current development (as it still seems to be on going) mainly seems to be about adding yet more features.

However, I would LOVE to see it completely fleshed out and solid. A really good space exploration roguelike would be much appreciated.

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »
Personally, when it comes to a space exploration RPG (rather than specifically a RL) I'm holding out for Starbound.
Kinda ticked with the rollbacks for release, and also the no-preorder, but they're not enough to kill my interest yet.

I'm not sure the full extent that URR is going to go, but with it having planet creation, it's possible that it might branch out to allow inter-planetary travel. Just a very broad guess on that one though.

gtaguy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »
Blah.

I can't figure out dwarf fortresses new cart system, I have tracks and wooden carts. Move my lava damnit!

I can draw spacemen, but I'm rubbish with finger and faces. I doubt prospector needs any artwork.
Anyone here play any other good roguelikes recently?

Offline Drakasin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
I've been playing Tome 4 since beta 37 or something like that. Great roguelike.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

gtaguy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
Is it like nethack?

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »
not really, outside both being fantasy roguelikes.
NetHack is more a tongue-in-cheek dungeon delver, while ToME is a full campaign with little humor.
The latter consisting of an overworld, with towns and dungeons and such, the former being a single dungeon, no (proper) towns.

E: BTW, DF's carts are for people and objects, primarily in the context of stockpile management and item delivery.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:34:00 PM by n9103 »

gtaguy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
So no lava?

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
Not unless you find a mod that turns them into items (I'm sure it exists) and back again.
Then again, my understanding of them is from the first week after Toady released them, perhaps there's something I missed, but I tend to think not due to having seen several threads about it on the DF forums. (Which, coincidentally, you'd be better served looking there than derailing here.)

On Topic:
Are you looking for a replacement game to play in lieu of Prospector, or just felt like pointing it out?