Author Topic: Prospector  (Read 4055 times)

gtaguy

Re: Prospector
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
I am looking for a replacement.

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »
Well, there's FTL, though it's not traditional RL. Same goes for Weird Worlds (and it's predecessor.)

If you're interested in the exploring part of prospector, you're pretty much out of luck beyond that.

For space-y person-to-person combat, there's DoomRL, AliensRL, this possible gem I spotted...

For ship to ship... just go look yourself, as there's a ton out there.

For the record, I despise the forum's handling of hyperlinks, and the behavior of the built-in editor. *grumblemumble*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:23:44 PM by n9103 »

gtaguy

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
I feel like if you can't enjoy cataclysm or any other ASCII game then you can't be a gamer. Roguelikes delve past graphics for more intimate gameplay. I would rather imagine my person doing a million cool things on letter graphics then watch one person do the same thing in the best graphics imagine able.

Offline Binky

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
I was sort of pointing it out to see if anyone else had any experience of it, but I'd love a new RL to play - especially of the space variety.

Offline Drakasin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
Look up "ASCII Sector", it's a roguelike... in space! Though I haven't played it much myself, from the few moments I did play it  I can tell that it is quite good.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Offline n9103

• NPC
  • Southern Survivalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
AhHa! I knew there was an ASCII RL similar to prospector I was forgetting.
Yes, I'd recommend ASCII Sector over the old prospector anyday. (haven't played the new one, but likely still stands.)
It's a first person view, rather than overhead, when it comes to space travel. Very unusual, but it worked for me at the time.
If you ever played and liked Privateer, you'll love this.
If non-2D space isn't what you're looking for, you probably won't, but should try it anyways.

Offline int

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
I played prospector and "beat it" (I set foot on every planet and some other interesting stuff.) It was pretty fun and I didnt notice any game breaking bugs. Hell I've had more game breaking bugs with DDA with a quarter of the play time. The guy updates it regularly, its just regularly is once a year.

For Tome i never really got into, there's too many got ya's for a roguelike focusing on combat for my taste.

Offline Sebastian2203

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »