Author Topic: Experimental SDL version uploaded for Windows  (Read 38149 times)

Offline Dzlan

• NPC
  • Succeed not by money but by achievement.
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental SDL version uploaded for Windows
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Oh, well, they just moved one step as if I had skipped my turn. Nothing too serious there.

OH WOW!!! So, before, reading was literally 20 seconds, skill increase to 13%, another 20 seconds, skill increase to 19%
Now, it is almost instant. Just Bam! 13% Bam 19% Bam 24%.
I must say, that is a definite improvement.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:22:30 AM by Dzlan »
Writing... I like writing... I really like writing...
Bahh, who am I kidding..
I LOVE WRITING
What kind of writing? Eh, Story writing, short stories, novels, fiction, poetry, fan fiction, fantasy, words, realism, based off dreams, I'd go on and on and on, but the Cataclysm really couldn't care less.

ajwilli1

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:51 AM »
Well it sounds like all the bugs are ironed out midnight seems like a good time to play some new cataclysm.

Offline Dzlan

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
Haha, Yeah. I think this has been a major step forwards for Cataclysm. Doing a great job. And I must give a big thanks to the devs for this too, cause Cataclysm has given me a huge amount of fun. Not just playing it, but the stories I make in it and of course, I'm writing a small novel based on Cataclysm, to help refine my writing skills. Currently 7 pages in, but when it's complete I'll put it up online for others to read. : )
Bahh, who am I kidding..
I LOVE WRITING
What kind of writing? Eh, Story writing, short stories, novels, fiction, poetry, fan fiction, fantasy, words, realism, based off dreams, I'd go on and on and on, but the Cataclysm really couldn't care less.

ajwilli1

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
I'll have to give a read then. I do agree with you that its about making stories then sharing them with other people or turning them into novels or any other form of media, and in that sense Cataclysm becomes more of a source of inspiration than a rougelike (but still is a great rougelike). This is what most post-apocalyptic games should be like creating your own story while surviving in a harsh unforgiving world.

Offline Dzlan

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »
Yes, that is definitely my favorite part of Cataclysm and Dwarf Fortress. Making your own stories and tales. A true Rogue Like game.
Oh and of course the ASCII graphics. (Like a novel, your mind has to create the visuals).
Bahh, who am I kidding..
I LOVE WRITING

Offline Dzlan

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »
Thought I'd better ask...  : )
How often will the SDL version be updated? Does it feature nightly builds too? And is that every night?
Bahh, who am I kidding..
I LOVE WRITING

Offline Wayfarer

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »
Hmm...I could be retarded, but I'm stuck on a motorcycle.  "e" just goes to examine, not exit vehicle.

ajwilli1

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »
When you hit "e" try exiting where the vehicle isnt

example:

^
          <--@-->

0       ^
             ^    /
               @/
             /     0
           /
         v
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:43:54 AM by ajwilli1 »

Offline Wayfarer

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »
Tried all directions.  Very much stuck.  It could be because it's one of those vehicle-crashed-into-another-vehicle scenarios.  Front wheel area is inside a car, jumped on to see if it had an engine and could move it, whatever, just to experiment.

ajwilli1

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Oh I have had that happen to me before only I hit the gas and got ejected into a concrete wall.

Offline Soron

• Code Wrangler
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
Both the bleeding edge/experimental builds will be updated within minutes of new changes being approved by one of the maintainers. That's much more frequently than nightly, btw ;).

Once we're ready to release 0.6, I'd like to provide both the GDI and SDL versions - especially if the SDL build is indeed massively faster, as it seems to be.

Hmm...I could be retarded, but I'm stuck on a motorcycle.  "e" just goes to examine, not exit vehicle.

The key for exiting vehicles was recently remapped (leaving it on 'e'xamine was a little funky). It's now in the vehicle control menu, accessible by default from '^'. You may need to go into the keymap page ('?', '2') to set that keymap up if you don't have it for some reason (e.g., if you copied over your old keymap file).

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »
^ is sort of a tricky thing on some keyboards, mine included. Shift+^ key, then space. Otherwise it doesn't register.
You get used to it though. Eventually.

Offline Soron

• Code Wrangler
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
Huh, odd.

May I suggest remapping that key to something else, then?

Offline prytoclasm

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
^ = odd on a lot of keyboards. On a german, french, czech and so on layout you have to press the key "^" and then anything else or it does not work. It's mainly for stuff like "o" + ^ to "ô" and so on, to get chars like î, Û, â. It's used in a lot of 'eastern europe' languages too, for example.

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
Huh, odd.

May I suggest remapping that key to something else, then?
Nah, I'm used to it by now. Just thinking that this may become a future problem for other people.

Oh, and...
Both the bleeding edge/experimental builds will be updated within minutes of new changes being approved by one of the maintainers. That's much more frequently than nightly, btw ;).
Fantastic!