Author Topic: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?  (Read 1351272 times)

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
Re: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?
« Reply #12915 on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
Are you using my mod or no?

But, runners are stage 1 hunters.
And acidics are stage 1 corrosives.

The game evolves them as fast as possible, with 100% accuracy in coregame.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
Not yet. In a future run, definitely.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: May 20, 2017, 04:43:43 AM »
Right, right, right. Time to figure out how I want my survivor's base to look. Last time I tried making an underground fort, it was spacious, but for most part aside from the bedroom it was basically just separate storage areas. This time I wanna go nuts. Dig underground, but use the construction menu to put up walls and ceilings. Using wood will be all right, I suppose, since it's underground I don't have to worry about durability.

I want it to look like a town. Something like the necropolis but a different layout. I'll even populate it with NPCs. Just make it look lived in, ya know? So, wood walls for most areas, but I reckon my survivor will have something fancier - like brick or rock. Carpets and paint as well.

So far, plan to use part of an ice lab; for food storage, plus a passageway that'll lead to the CVD machine at the bottom of a lap. Maybe multiple basement levels. Ground floor, garage area, a farm, maybe a sort of bar and a campsite for the look of things. Shame you can't drag those statues that's on restaurants down a level, but I suppose I'll simply just drop ornamental plate armor to act as statues of some sort. Ice lab will serve as food storage for perishable food.

Sorting out weapons and ammo will most likely take me some time to figure out the layout. Guns will be sorted by skill used, though I suppose guns that can be mounted would be placed in one container even if they use different skills. Ammo will be kept separate, like all 9mm ammo types in one container, all .223 ammo on another. Figuring out whether I should include BB guns and flintlock rifles among the other rifles, as well as other survivor-made guns.

At this point, my brain turns to mush as I think about how the gun storage should look like.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: May 20, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
Really, I don't need to do this, but I want to.

Food storage. Thinking about booze. Last time I basically made several wooden kegs and filled it (or tried to fill it up) with each type of booze. It looked rather untidy, and I suppose filling it with beer, thus opening the beer can, seemed rather unappetizing.

So, only certain booze will have a wooden keg to store them. Don't want standing tanks. While they can contain more liquid, I dig the sprite for the wooden keg. I could also ditch the keg and use wooden barrels instead. Basically, any booze that a survivor can make will get a keg/barrel. Stuff like beer in a can or uncraftable booze stay in the container they originated from. Not sure if I should count simple mixed drinks to be keg-worthy.

And that's just for booze. Other types of drinks, and meals would need attention, since it would look silly if I was all elaborate with booze and just kept things simple for food. Like always, canned food gets their own container. I'm still rather iffy including V8 among them since it comes in an aluminum can and not a tin can. For canned food that survivor makes, maybe a different container. Like a tin can of peaches in syrup go among the other found canned food, but the stuff the survivor makes like woods soup will be in another container. But what about meat soup? I think you can find those, and make them as well, so not sure which one will go where. And sap soup is a different thing entirely, since that's for the cannibal storage area.

Ingredients should be separate from ready to eat stuff. But should I put flour and salt in the same display rack or crate, or should they be kept apart? Decisions, decisions. Don't want to organize food by their material, like meat set apart from vegetables and whatnot but at the same time... agh. And what about food with more than one material? Anything considered junk food should also be in their own containers, or set of containers. Do I remove non-liquid foods from their containers, like remove the plastic bags or cardboard boxes they were found in.

This is getting rather neurotic.

And libraries, oh god libraries. If I want to be elaborate with gun and food storage, then it would be silly to stick books into three bookshelves (skill and recipe books, morale boosters, and misc. reading material like maps, newspaper pages, martial arts books, etc.)

In the end, I really should keep things simple... but dammit something about the game makes me desire to hoard, and keep that hoard looking tidy.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »
This is getting rather neurotic.

Getting?  :-)
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: May 20, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: May 21, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
After several months, I finally see the ants. They have disappeared for a very long time.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: May 21, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
Well, winter's over. Managed to drive back to the new base and drop down the winter haul there. ...now to go back to the old base and pick up most of the stuff down there.

Once that's done, it's gonna be time to start constructing the base. Starting with the food storage area, and by extension a kitchen area and a cafeteria. Latter two will be dug out from the non-ice lab area. After that, I'll work my way to the other rooms. For now, no entrance - survivor will come and go through the ice lab,

Won't be just jackhammering through solid rock. Plan to build walls around the area and ceilings, so this'll take a long while to do. Might even take an in-game year at least. Needless to say, my survivor will pretty much stay awake via atomic coffee.

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: May 21, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
Well, winter's over. Managed to drive back to the new base and drop down the winter haul there. ...now to go back to the old base and pick up most of the stuff down there.

Once that's done, it's gonna be time to start constructing the base. Starting with the food storage area, and by extension a kitchen area and a cafeteria. Latter two will be dug out from the non-ice lab area. After that, I'll work my way to the other rooms. For now, no entrance - survivor will come and go through the ice lab,

Won't be just jackhammering through solid rock. Plan to build walls around the area and ceilings, so this'll take a long while to do. Might even take an in-game year at least. Needless to say, my survivor will pretty much stay awake via atomic coffee.

Always loved reading your game experiance think I said this in another post of yours ages ago.
Any who would love to see some pics of progress when ya can :)

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »

Always loved reading your game experiance think I said this in another post of yours ages ago.
Any who would love to see some pics of progress when ya can :)

For sure, I'll post pics of progress.

That said, looking at the construction screen (and barfing at the time it'll take to construct a rock wall; six hours, construction scaling set at 0 which says that it'll automatically match the construction time), I realize something.

Simple metal walls can be built. Three hours total, plus a little extra for digging a shallow pit. Four steel platings required.

...Hm.

Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll be using that. Looking at the JSON files, it's inferior to simple concrete and brick walls, and slightly better than rock walls. Overall much better choice than rock walls, since construction time is faster... well, kinda. Lots of rocks can be dug up via jackhammering, while you need steel plating, and if you don't have any you gotta craft them from lumps of steel.

On the other hand, making 20 steel plates will only take four hours. 20 of them will make five simple metal walls. 4 hours of crafting, 15 hours to construct the five walls, 1 hour and 40 minutes to dig shallow pits. That's 20 hours and 40 minutes.

Five rocks walls will take 120 rocks. One wall takes 6 hours, so five is 30 hours.

That said, you can't dig pits on solid rock floors...

...and that's why I've decided to build on the surface level. Surface level floor of the ice lab and the basement will be food storage, and around it a town shall form.

There's even a construction for reinforced windows with metal shutters which I assume can be opened. Oh my gah. The things I can do. No more hiding in the darkness. Better yet, not much need to haul loot down a level. Only perishable food, while all the other items can be kept on the surface level.

Plus, mistakes can be easily corrected. If I dig too much, I can't restore the solid rock and it'll look ugly. If a building doesn't look good I could simply jackhammer it and start over. No more digging pathway tunnels. And there's no need to metal wall everything even.

And good gah! I can drag statues to decorate the streets! Statues! Some clothing stores have mirrors, and I hope they can be dragged as well.

I think I need to lie down for a while, or overexcitement will explode my brain.

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: May 21, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »

This is funnier than you may think.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:10 PM »
Want to do something like this as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant

Like, till some soil and make a giant piece of art on the earth. Or maybe a set of braziers and load them up with wood to make some sort of shape on fire.

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »
Future archeologists would find long straight lines presumed to be the spaceship runway constructed by the last survivors of the ancient intelligent species.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: May 22, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »
Hmmm...

Metal walls and metal ceilings/floor can't have paint/carpets. No sprite yet for the latter as well, showing up as dirt tiles, making me somewhat hesitant on using it for floors/ceilings.

Anyways, flooring will be done once most of the walls have been set up. If I want to use some paint, I'm thinking that certain buildings my survivor will construct will have two layers; one's the outer layer using the simple metal wall, and the inner layer which will be made of wood. Only for certain buildings, since storage rooms won't need such luxury.

Kinda miss the fact that gold and silver bars no longer exist. Diamonds are still present, though.

Also, got around 7000 cash cards, and still far away from maxing a single one.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: May 22, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
There's also a slight snag in metal wall production.

I thought that a nearby town had a hardware store with a metal compactor. Turns out I was wrong.

So, I'll have to gather lumps of steel from car wrecks, or cut up any vehicles with steel platings. Surprisingly, the former takes less time than the latter (12 minutes to craft vs. 15 minutes to remove from a car). I could also cut up metal doors with an acetylene torch, and there's a nearby factory with some machinery that has steel plates when deconstructed.

Gonna need a ton of steel for this. I reckon this'll take more than one in-game year to get the materials and construct everything, not to mention that my survivor still has to craft some ammo as well.