Author Topic: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?  (Read 1558781 times)

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?
« Reply #13155 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:32 PM »
|------|
|        |
|-      -|

^curling the plow in like this will let it take infinate damage as long as the tips don't break off. ( -  )

This is because the car won't let any frame still attached to 4 adjacent frames break off. or... something like that.

Try this on the front of your car (facing north, like in the vehicle screen):

Code: [Select]
=======
=     =
==== X=
   =

Since a frame can't be destroyed if it would leave another frame unconnected, as long as frame marked with an X is still intact, the plow will never be fully broken off.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #13156 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
Ah yea, that^ thats what I meant.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13157 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »
So full end forward empty end back.
I am a still bit sore about being unable to make sheet metal.

Offline Walegrin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13158 on: July 20, 2017, 05:15:26 AM »
Debating whether I want to go to the refugee center or not.  I do like doing the commune missions but then again there is the randomness of where the ranch ends up being...

I'm just about to the end of summer, on 20 day seasons, and doing fairly well.  A few minor CBMs and decent skills for my survivor. 

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13159 on: July 20, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
Yeah, it gets rather annoying if the outpost that gets unlocked is rather far away when there's another empty outpost close by.

Like, there's a refugee center about ten map tiles east away from my base, and in between is nothing but open fields for walk or drive through. There's an outpost west of my base, quite a bit farther than the refugee center but again it's all open fields in between.

Outpost gets unlocked farther north, through a few cities with roads surrounded by forests here and there. Bit annoying since I have to turn the car every once in a while instead of just blasting straight through.

I reckon I'll make some sort of motorbike-like vehicle, or at least some sort of 2x6 size vehicle with dual V12 engines so I can quickly travel to the outpost to trade any stuff the scrap dealer and bartender has on them.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13160 on: July 20, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
...what am I doing with my life?

Because it was in the way, clearing out a freaking second necropolis. The game would've forgiven me if I had lowered the spawn rate before getting near, but nope, going at it on 5x spawn. Around 12k more irridated wanderers expected, and currently around 2k killed. Agh.

Plus, rapiers don't seem to do the stop thrust counter as much anymore, so no point in using that as a rest move. Just relying on dodging while reloading the MP5. Having silat chosen as the martial art seems to provide the silat stance passive buff to dodge, at least.

Nail rifle isn't reliable here. Too many enemies, and reloading is a pain since it's like 7 in-game minutes to fully load a magazine, and the lag is too much.

Next time for sure. Any necropolis I come across I lower the spawn rate to just 1x or 0.5.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13161 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
...what am I doing with my life?

Because it was in the way, clearing out a freaking second necropolis. The game would've forgiven me if I had lowered the spawn rate before getting near, but nope, going at it on 5x spawn. Around 12k more irridated wanderers expected, and currently around 2k killed. Agh.

Plus, rapiers don't seem to do the stop thrust counter as much anymore, so no point in using that as a rest move. Just relying on dodging while reloading the MP5. Having silat chosen as the martial art seems to provide the silat stance passive buff to dodge, at least.

Nail rifle isn't reliable here. Too many enemies, and reloading is a pain since it's like 7 in-game minutes to fully load a magazine, and the lag is too much.

Next time for sure. Any necropolis I come across I lower the spawn rate to just 1x or 0.5.

Fire is your friend - throw some two-by-fours out into the hallway-ish area, toss a molotov, and let them wander through it coming to you.  They don't drop anything explosive (IIRC) or anything of any value, there's enough of them to keep the fire going a LONG time... that should help a good bit, I would think.  Well, once you actually get into the main area.  Before that... yeah, snooze.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13162 on: July 21, 2017, 12:40:58 AM »
True. I am rather iffy about using fire, only really resorting to it against the Mycus, or if I want to make a shortcut through a forest.

Decided to use another main weapon of my survivor instead: the AR-15. Haven't been using it for a long while, since mainly I stick to .308 ammo rifles, or .50 against armored zombies of shoggoths. Have a very nice amount of .223 ammo, and so far it's working quite fine. Most of the time one shot is a kill shot against the wanderers, and when reloading is required just burrow to a jackhammered wall and reload.

Bit of a waste of .223 ammo, but again since I mostly use .308 ammo the .223s are only collecting dust if I don't use them here.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13163 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
Decided on a more simple solution on the necropolis. Simply jamming the tab button for auto-attack, while wielding an awl pike. Low stamina doesn't matter since about a little over 95% of the hits from the wanderers are either dodged or blocked. Since the awl pike can do reach attacks while autoattacking, there's less instances of nothing happening when there's no adjacent enemy.

So, time to go into autopilot when playing this while listening to tunes or podcasts. Cleared out around half of the first necropolis level. Second level is still full, and sewers I haven't touched much yet aside from clearing a path to the vault entrance. Gonna be a long ride here.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13164 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
12-13k more kills later, and the second necropolis is more or less cleared.

Next time, if a necropolis is spotted on the map, I'll set the monster spawn rate low, 'cause I ain't doing that tedium ever again. For realsies this time.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13165 on: July 22, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
12-13k more kills later, and the second necropolis is more or less cleared.

Next time, if a necropolis is spotted on the map, I'll set the monster spawn rate low, 'cause I ain't doing that tedium ever again. For realsies this time.
The ONLY either interesting or useful things that I have found from the necropolis itself is a couple and I mean only a couple of advanced books and the minigun and that is it. Albiet to be fair I did find some hazmat equipment a couple of pistols and ammo from killing the wanderers themselves.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13166 on: July 22, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
Yeah. For those kinds of loot, you're better off finding them elsewhere. Hell, some zombie soldiers drop miniguns, so it's really not worth the effort. Only did this again for horribly dumb RP reasons. My survivor is on a mission to empty every place she comes across of zombies, so why should the necropolis be any different?

That said, this helped her achieve four more levels in dodge, going from 13 to 17. Once 17 was hit, no more progress in dodge.

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
  • Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo..
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #13167 on: July 23, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
Dr. Rosalie Boyce has survived until the first day of summer. And OH BOY, what she has survived. The highlight was around Day 10-12 when a skeletal dog that I couldn't hit in melee or with my pistols gnawed off both of her legs and brought me up to Pain 200 before I finally somehow killed it with a lucky headshot (it's the first time in Cataclysm I can think of the RNG miraculously saving me instead of anti-miraculously fucking me). I didn't have the Strength or volume to carry two weapons at once, so I had to drop the gun to pick up my makeshift machete and butcher it. She was left panting on a kitchen floor with two broken legs and her pants and backpack destroyed, STR, DEX, and PER of 0 from the pain, no painkillers stronger than Aspirin, and waiting for the crystal meth to wear off. Somehow she managed to build splints out of the curtain rods from the kitchen windows, splint her broken legs, drag herself into the next room, dismantle the bed, board up the windows, and sustain herself on a small cache of orange soda and root beer while waiting several days for her shattered bones to set. It is the only time EVER in Cataclysm that I have hit 200 pain and two missing limbs and actually somehow survived it. This came after: a day one that involved running through a road-clogging gauntlet of giant ants that unexpectedly turned hostile midway through, a day one run-in with a giant wasp that I really shouldn't have survived, the wasp sting transitioned directly into the common cold which I was able to hole up in someone's panic room and wait out (although I came very close to dying from dehydration). And was followed by: detoxifying from acquired alcoholism.
Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew - Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash, and Captain Dallas - are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13168 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
Good job on surviving... but a doctor doing meth, for shame! FEEL SHAME, SHAMEFUL DOCTOR!

But seriously, good job. It's generally better to rest it off to lower the pain than risk it with drugs. Years ago, discovered that pumping too much morphine on a survivor brings a quick case of dead, so I ended up avoiding drugs in the game ever since. All that cocaine and meth is only for collecting, like a dragon like Tony Montana hoarding drugs.

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
  • Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo..
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #13169 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
I don't know the buffs from meth are REALLY good. Same with cocaine. But yeah I can't imagine Dr. Boyce was very happy about her meth usage. In general as a player I hoard coke and meth as panic buttons of last resort in case I really need to get away from a brute or hulk or I get trapped and I need to fight my way out of a scary hoard. Whereas I just casually use cannabis all the time that I'm not in imminent danger because

(click to show/hide)

Also after the third or fourth time I  MY CHARACTER snorted crystal, she started getting the uncontrollable itching of abcesses and the "You feel paranoid, they're watching you" messages and I was shit scared that she was going through Meth Addiction/Meth Withdrawal. But even though she managed to catch alcoholism, Dr. Boyce hasn't become a methhead. And probably won't. Clearly she hasn't followed the "not even once" rule, but I don't think she's gonna push it to snorting meth for a fifth time.

Something I've always wondered: the game specifies that all the meth you find is "low-grade methamphetamine". Were there plans to include "high grade methamphetamine"  at some point? Hell, is it in the game now?
Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew - Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash, and Captain Dallas - are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up.