Author Topic: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?  (Read 1417141 times)

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?
« Reply #13320 on: August 09, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »
I generally just use them for crafting and construction, since the time they cut down on both is real useful when there's so much to craft and construct.

And yeah, wish there were more commands for them with regards to tactics. They're smart enough to avoid smashing acid-type corpses so they won't get damaged, but not smart enough to fall back if there's a shocker zombie. And they always end up getting in the way when my survivor has to fire something.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13321 on: August 09, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »
Again so npcs can read skill books and teach the skills to you? Also what if a npc is in your party does something that took 10 minutes now take 5 or something?

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
Lab again. Car has been loaded up, so it's time to make my way back to base. It's not halfway through winter yet, so a second trip will work.

Anyway, finally found a book on Pankration. With that, all the martial arts books have been found, not counting the ones that don't spawn at all.

Also found 60 more railgun ammo, and another railgun magazine, but no railgun.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13323 on: August 09, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Lab again. Car has been loaded up, so it's time to make my way back to base. It's not halfway through winter yet, so a second trip will work.

Anyway, finally found a book on Pankration. With that, all the martial arts books have been found, not counting the ones that don't spawn at all.

Also found 60 more railgun ammo, and another railgun magazine, but no railgun.

I've only found a railgun once ever, and it was with some scientist bodies on the overmap.

Again so npcs can read skill books and teach the skills to you? Also what if a npc is in your party does something that took 10 minutes now take 5 or something?

NPCs can help you craft when you make a batch of something (at least 2) and they have sufficient skill to make it.  If they don't have sufficient skill, they watch you (there's a message) and gain some skill.  If they help you, it reduces the time taken.  Up to 2 NPCs can help at once, for both crafting and constructing.  This only happens if they are following you - posted nearby doesn't count.

I've never played an illiterate character, so I can't speak to that last bit from experience, but I've seen it claimed for quite a while that they can read books to you so you gain skill from the book.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13324 on: August 09, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Additionally, they can help with constructing as well. For two NPCs, it seems that at most it can cut time to almost half when it comes to crafting and construction.

Dunno if they can speed up with construction and repair of vehicles. Would be nice if they did.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13325 on: August 10, 2017, 02:36:00 AM »
Dunno if they can speed up with construction and repair of vehicles. Would be nice if they did.

Not last I checked - no messages, no apparent time improvements, no apparent skill gain for NPC.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline TheMightyHercules

• Survivor
  • How Mighty Are Ya?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

...Not sure what to do...

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: August 10, 2017, 06:47:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)

...Not sure what to do...
Easy

You:Hello there               how are you doing?

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: August 10, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »
Aaaand done dropping off the stuff back at base. Day 46 of winter, 1:17 AM. Took roughly a whole day driving back, more or less at 80 mph, slowing down when needed and making a few stops in ice labs to pick up some NPC slaves my survivor befriended, as well as perishable stuff. While it's winter, food can still slowly decay even if the weather is cold, especially the ones found during the early days of the season. It's gotta be ice labs to keep them fresh.

About two days sorting out the items. Maybe a day or two before I restock on supplies... mostly food. Since I decided to train melee skills to all hit 10 at least, I've been ignoring the guns lately.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13329 on: August 10, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
Aaaand done dropping off the stuff back at base. Day 46 of winter, 1:17 AM. Took roughly a whole day driving back, more or less at 80 mph, slowing down when needed and making a few stops in ice labs to pick up some NPC slaves my survivor befriended, as well as perishable stuff. While it's winter, food can still slowly decay even if the weather is cold, especially the ones found during the early days of the season. It's gotta be ice labs to keep them fresh.

About two days sorting out the items. Maybe a day or two before I restock on supplies... mostly food. Since I decided to train melee skills to all hit 10 at least, I've been ignoring the guns lately.
So if you were to make a vehicle with a fridge inside an ice lab in the winter how slowly would food rot?

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13330 on: August 10, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
If it's in an ice lab, it stops rotting period.

Offline KiBoy

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13331 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:55 AM »
I just witnessed arguably my greatest battle.

Anyway, some backstory:

I spawned as a high school student with Missed scenario, so I could spawn in a house. As for the stats, it was a no skill and 8/8/8/8 with traits:
Cannibal+Gourmand+Spiritual ( because it's ridiculous, that morale gain )
Packmule+Strong Back ( I'm a huge packrat, I never start without those )
Parkour Expert ( Once you start using it, it's hard to stop, too useful all around )
Self-Defence Classes ( Zui Quan, probably saved this character's life )

This spawn point was a jackpot, really. A house next door had a pool and made me a single katana ( Now branded as Tetsuryuken ) richer. Anyway, I'm dispatching a few stray zombies, looted two or three nearby homes, raising skills etc. The usual early game fare.

Then comes the 3rd Day of Spring, I'm scavenging some food from the forest and when I'm unloading in my base I take a glance through the window frame-

Zombie Hulk

Oh shit. Come on game, this is the absolutely farthest away house from the city! It's the third day! It's karma for a good spawn, isn't it!?

It's on the very edge of the screen, so I'm hoping it'll go away and go get some more forest resources. I come back-

And it's right outside the window. Since I was in the shadows it did not see me, so I ran around the house to kite it away ( yeah, I know, ridiculous with their speed ) but it noticed my starter NPC first before making said NPC very intimate with the window.

I tell him to come with me and ditch him in the forest to get that Hulk away from my base. NPC promptly dies, barely buying me enough time to get into a house close by. I try to get away but it shreds the building and right when I make it outside, I get punted away, HARD.

With the amount of pain I had, I knew escape was impossible. So I decided if this character has to die, it will die in battle. I wield my katana and begin meleeing that bastard. Surprisingly, with 1 cutting weapon skill and 0 dodge our HP is disappearing pretty much evenly.

"Wait, I can do this", I thought. After numerous punts and many blows The Hulk's HP is at :, my torso is at : and my head at |. One stray blow is enough to kill me. The time to decide the victor is at hand.

I wait patiently as the Hulk approaches. It gets into 1 tile range and punches. I dodge it and respond with an attack with my own. It's still not dead.

Then, the final turn comes: Hulk attacks again, breaking my arm while my character is blocking it and with a final slash, the beast falls.

250 pain and broken arm, but it's so satisfying to kill a Hulk with brand new char and some luck on world gen.

EDIT: Spelling
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:15:10 AM by KiBoy »

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: August 10, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
Nice. The first hulk kill is always a thrill, helps make it feel that the survivor is ready to take on the rest of the cataclysm.

In any case, been pondering about tears in reality. The ones that cause things to teleport randomly if they step into it. Once in a while it spawns nether creatures.

With that in mind, it would be possible to turn that into a slightly dangerous meat farm. Stuff like flaming eyes and grackens for animal meat, blank bodies for human meat. In between there's stuff like hunting horrors and flying polyps that just melt away upon death.

Main problem would be Yuggs since they have an attack that force-mutates survivors.

So, I tested things out. One, there's an artifact that can generate tears in reality. Two, Yuggs die if they're not in dirt tiles. Or in this case, they don't spawn at all on a rock floor.

Basically made a world, spawned artifacts until I got the one that produces tears in reality, used it on a basement, and waited. No Yuggs spawning, so that's nice. On the other hand, flaming eyes still do and as it turns out teleglow has a chance to mutate survivors. Still, the rest can be dealt with easily and there's a potential for infinite human and animal meat.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
So, I tested things out. One, there's an artifact that can generate tears in reality. Two, Yuggs die if they're not in dirt tiles. Or in this case, they don't spawn at all on a rock floor.

Basically made a world, spawned artifacts until I got the one that produces tears in reality, used it on a basement, and waited. No Yuggs spawning, so that's nice. On the other hand, flaming eyes still do and as it turns out teleglow has a chance to mutate survivors. Still, the rest can be dealt with easily and there's a potential for infinite human and animal meat.

So, set this up in a lower level of your ice lab home with laser turrets, lights, and some infinite power source (a couple of vortex generators, perhaps), and drop by to butcher every so often.  Nice.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13334 on: August 10, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
That's the general plan. Now I gotta find an artifact that does have a tear in reality effect and everything will be ready.

In any case, intentionally encumbering the torso is providing a good challenge. For a while most fights have my survivor dodging attacks quite easily. Now, adding a duffel bag, a strapped on rifle, and a plastic canteen has lowered her hit rate and dodge where even a group of 30 zombies can damage her. By quite a bit too if she just stands around and gets surrounded. Gotta move around once again instead of standing still to make sure damage isn't too harsh. 'course, having Deadened makes things a bit more comfortable since it prevents any stat penalties from pain.

That said, melee is still not improving at 11. Might need more encumbrance. Nothing that's meant as armor, since if that's the case most attacks won't even damage her. Hell, even giant cellar spiders are still doing some damage.