Author Topic: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?  (Read 1588794 times)

Offline Malkeus

• Survivor
  • Master Necroposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?
« Reply #10125 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
Is it possibly to clean blood from walls and floors?

Use a mop.

In any other game, this reply would be someone trolling. In cataclysm, it's a fact.

I love cataclysm.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: December 07, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
Ya know, bugger this. I got other, and better, things to do and I'm not gonna waste time on this any more.

Debug, kill all monsters. The speed drop being near the slime pit is a headache and a half. I think going and pretty much exterminating five floors filled with freaking blobs count as a success.

Screeeeeeeeew youuuuuuuuuuu, blobssssssss. It's 40 days until winter, I already have a place in mind to move into, and I'm not gonna waste time since I got to clear the ice lab in the place where I'll create an underground fort. I need to tunnel the place, set up a temporary area to hold perishable foods, and set up farmland. I got a billion things to do, and burning slime ain't at the top of my to-do list.

I'll make the mother of organized bases that'll make my old ones pale in comparison and make the clutter demons look at it and say "dude, you're insane".
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline railmonkey

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: December 08, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
Day 64. Found a Mobile Gun System! Sadly, the RWS is only the standard 120mm, but it makes up for having much more common ordnance. Also found an APFSDS round to fire from it. That, too. Crafted another batch of mutagen. Found a survivor utility belt off of a survivor zombie, so I was finally able to stow my toolbox and ditch my sheath. Found a modest collection of seeds, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with them, since I'm going with a nomadic playstyle for the time being.

Offline Jesus Smith Nandez

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: December 08, 2015, 12:43:23 AM »
Just got a chemical imbalance from a mutagen and am managing to almost freeze to death  despite being bundles up like a mummy.
Help.
Yes

Offline Iceblaster

• Zombie Food
  • Expert in friendly fire since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: December 08, 2015, 01:14:09 AM »
Doing lab escape, looking through rooms.

happy goop :3
Insert witty sigtext quotes here.

Offline Closet Pankin

• Survivor
  • we all do it, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: December 08, 2015, 01:28:56 AM »
Well, this is odd. Was going to the ice lab area of my base. Instead of going down the stairs, I pressed the key to go up, and the game asked which direction should I climb up.

Curious, I did so, and found myself in a vast field of open space. With no where else to go, I move in one direction, and I find my survivor badly injured as she falls down to the ice lab area.

I'll chalk it up to a real bad hallucination from drinking so much.

I did the same thing, but in a house. I landed on a book case.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: December 08, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Mm hmm hmm. Clearing out the ice lab that shall become the underground city I want to make. I reckon it's best to do this while it's still early autumn, cleaning out the place of items and creatures before winter when the temperature drops even further.

Bottom of the ice lab is finally a CVD machine. The place is five floors deep so I suppose it was wise to do this while the weather is still warm.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: December 08, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
Mm hmm hmm. Clearing out the ice lab that shall become the underground city I want to make. I reckon it's best to do this while it's still early autumn, cleaning out the place of items and creatures before winter when the temperature drops even further.

Bottom of the ice lab is finally a CVD machine. The place is five floors deep so I suppose it was wise to do this while the weather is still warm.
CVD machine at the bottom of an ice lab makes me sad - almost impossible to use without freezing to death.

I mean, I've actually done it (it was a close thing - barely made it out alive, even with thermal outfit and warm clothes on top), but what a PAIN.

The most annoying thing to me is that zombies are totally immune - hello, it's -100 in here, you should be FROZEN SOLID.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: December 08, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
Doing lab escape, looking through rooms.

happy goop :3

Hehe, nice.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: December 08, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »

CVD machine at the bottom of an ice lab makes me sad - almost impossible to use without freezing to death.

I mean, I've actually done it (it was a close thing - barely made it out alive, even with thermal outfit and warm clothes on top), but what a PAIN.

The most annoying thing to me is that zombies are totally immune - hello, it's -100 in here, you should be FROZEN SOLID.

On the bright side for me, the temperature is just right. It's five floors down, and all I had on for extra warmth was the climate control CBM and a thermal electric outfit, which ended up being very cold only to my survivor. I got an extra thermal electric outfit, lined with fur, a fur cloak and a fur scarf in the Sluggernaut, so I can make diamond weapons easily.

I won't use them, but it would be nice to have several diamond weapons on display.

Anyways, current plans are, first ice lab level will be the city itself. Might dig up a level down for basement areas for some rooms I've planned, and above ground will be a farm and a bar.

Offline SenorOcho

• Zombie Food
  • Professor of Creative Necromancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: December 08, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
Baseworks were just about complete, Alpha mutation was about to cross the threshhold...

but my hard drive went kaput.  So much for that save.  D:

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: December 08, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
Still thinking of the general layout of the underground town as I clear out the ice lab of items. For one thing, my plan is to not just make it a presentable storage area for one survivor. I want it to look like a place where a small population could live in. Something like the vault, somewhat compressed in some areas. It'll probably end up like my dorf forts, though: initially decent layout eventually becoming a convoluted mess.

In any case, what I'm thinking about it toilets and bathing areas. Stuff regarding waste isn't in the game, and more or less rightfully so, but I want something resembling a toilet for the look of the thing. Can't drag toilets, so I'll have to pick an item that'll more or less have the suggestion of a toilet area. Pits can't be made on rock floors, so my thought is to make a toilet room that consists of a clay hydria. A rather primitive looking toilet, but it's probably the only thing I could think of for decor suggesting the room is a toilet.

Other less gross ideas for the base would be a bar, a large dining hall, and small-room housing for new members of the community. Not sure whether I should make several small rooms or make one big dorm for that. Beds will be made, with pillows and blankets assigned to each beds.

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: December 08, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
Bah. I'd wind up making a grid of interconnected 5x5 spaces, with some larger rooms made by fully knocking down dividers, if I wanted my base to resemble my typical fort.

Don't forget the ground-level watchtowers covering the ramp leading into the entrance, that are only accessible from inside the fort. o3o

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
I basically just chain up dogs, or some other animal at the edges of the map, surrounded by cage traps.

Anyway, finally found the Barrett M107A1. Adding the gun mods in, it's dispersion is 0, which is nice as the standard ammo for the gun has fairly low dispersion. Recoil is somewhat low-ish, at about 330, which is the same recoil as the rivtech revolver my survivor carries. Survivor can do a precise shot, and steadiness won't go down for a small bit when firing normally after.

Still, total damage value of the gun and ammo falls somewhat short compared to the M27 IAR I got that's using a .308 conversion. On damage values at least; armor pierce and range is far superior in favor of the Barrett. While damage of both guns for most part go around 150-200, it also feels like the Barrett gibs zombies more often.

In the end though, the modded M27 is still the winner. Recoil of it is half the Barrett's, so after one precise shot steadiness doesn't seem to go down at all. Ammo capacity is far higher so less time to reload. More importantly, .308 ammo is far lighter than the .50 BMG so more can be carried around.

In some ways, it's better at killing shoggoths. The Barrett's armor pierce helps deal more damage, but after a few shots recoil kicks in which can lower damage significantly, while the M27 can fire continuously while dealing about half the average damage of the Barrett. But since it's done continuously without recoil penalties, it can chip down the shoggoth's health reliably.

Offline Random_dragon

• Survivor
  • Psycho bored dragon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: December 08, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
Ah, but that's the best thing to have chained up riiight behind the trapped entrances and the drawbridge. o3o

And I suspect that just laying into a shoggoth with an M2 would be a more effective use of .50 BMG.