Author Topic: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?  (Read 1433237 times)

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?
« Reply #13350 on: August 12, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
Tested something risky. Basically just stood there with two zombie grenadiers, using boxing's counter attacks to swat away the bomb-hacks. They seem to attack as they wait to blow up.

Survivor is still in one piece, no damage, all bombs destroyed with her fists - but man was that rather nerve wracking, since there's a possibility of missing and going boom.

Oddly, fighting bare-handed does more damage than having a punch dagger equipped.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline tarburst98

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: August 12, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
azrad, that's because of the style. boxing gives bonus damage to bashing, punch dagger doesn't have bashing as it's primary, try with a cestus instead.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
Naw. Thought it was the case initially, but a reinforced cestus could hit around 100 damage on a crit - about ten points of damage less than going unarmed, I recall that a barehanded crit was like 120 at one point. 'course, unarmed is at level 11 already, so perhaps that may be the case.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: August 12, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
And that's a third big military outpost cleared. So much ammo - at this point pretty much all the guns the zombie soldiers drop I got several of, so it was too tedious to take them and repair them. There's also the mines with so much gunpowder in them; crafting ammo if needed will not be a problem at all. That said, I gotta craft some black gunpowder when needed since reloaded 00 shot can use black gunpowder, and why waste normal gunpowder for those when a craftable option is available.

On the previous two big outposts I cleared, my general plan was to kill everything first then sort through the loot after. For this one I decided to loot and kill at the same time, bringing the foldable cart then attach the cargo carrier on each floor, like how I deal with labs. This one is faster, and there's less instances where I wonder if I already searched through the room of items.

Unlike the necropolis, the big outpost is less harsh on the lag. There's still a lot of enemies, but it's nothing compared to the necropolis. It's a bit more dangerous due to the zombie grenadiers - best to deal with them when they're alone as much as possible, since the bomb-hacks can get stuck in between several enemies, which could be problematic. The big outpost has much better loot as well - the place pretty much spawns nothing, but due to the item pool of the zombie soldiers, bio-operators, and grenadiers you'll end up with a ton of military stuff.

And not quite related, but I reckon 8 more in-game years and I might hit one million kills. Maybe less time; first year had a lot of quiet periods. Second year is not quite over yet; a little less than 45 days left, and so far I've done about 11k more kills than the first year. 'course, main priority is still constructing a base, so there will be a lot more quiet periods until that's done.

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: August 12, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
It's funny how, in all of my early-to-mid game playthrough, the search for a hacksaw is always after some fated battle against the zed or after a long journey. This time I had to cut through a small town shock filled with revived zeds after they ganged up on a anti-materiel turret. But just to gather the confidence, resources to craft a filter mask for those bloaties and the actual fight, it took me the whole spring.

I've finally found a hacksaw across the city on a disclosed houses, albeit with a brute nearby. Sucky how we need actual ammo to craft grenades instead of gasolines. Dealing with him is going to be a pain.

Azrad, how far up you need to be to actually clearing a damn outpost? Kudos to ya.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: August 12, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »
Maybe mid-game? It's possible to get it done earlier, perhaps.

So, first thing is being able to deal with the front gate. Kill the hostile NPCs, basically. Easy enough to do so in the dark. Be able to hit the ones with guns in the dark and you should be fine.

Then, the zombie soldiers. They can bite, but as far as I can tell they don't grab you to slow your survivor down. If you can funnel them through a small corridor things should be doable in melee. Bio-operators will be a bit trickier to melee, and you'll need protection from electricity if you wanna go that route - and in general electric protection will be helpful against the skitterbots - though there's so many zombies that the skitterbots are usually destroyed by the time you see them.

Main problem is the grenadiers. Good gun skills are needed against the bomb-hacks. If you've got decent amounts of shotgun ammo, and good skill with it, then shooting them down will be easy. Alternatively, shoot the grenadier immediately and run as far away from them.

Security bots pose another problem, with their guns. That said, usually there's so many zombies around that they empty their guns by the time you see them... that said, some end up in closed rooms and you might be in for a nasty surprise.

Offline deoxy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Security bots pose another problem, with their guns. That said, usually there's so many zombies around that they empty their guns by the time you see them... that said, some end up in closed rooms and you might be in for a nasty surprise.

Can they actually run out of ammo now?  I haven't tested it in quite a while now, but they used to have infinite ammo.
This is the text that goes under the post, and there ^ is the post, so this is where it goes.

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
At least I'm sure that turrets now do, since the one in my earlier post actually ran out of bullets and I managed to collect all of it's casings. Over 200 or something, so it depends on how deadly is the sec bots ammo.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:36 AM »
Yeah. They run out. Most of the security bots I've encountered on the big outpost, the ones who weren't in a closed room without enemies, were usually surrounded by zombie soldiers and have no means to fight them. The zombie soldiers don't have enough power to damage them (but the bio-operators and grenadiers (due to their bombs) can destroy them.

That more or less applies to other robots using guns of some sort. Not sure if a tank drone's flamethrower can run out, though.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
Man, zlave making to train survival is incredibly tedious. Unlike butchering or smashing corpses, there's no hotkey to quickly go about in making a zlave, not to mention that there's no zlave all command, so you gotta do it one corpse at a time.

And it takes a very long time to get a percent up. Gotta turn off learning from first aid because it's really slow progress.

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: August 13, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »

c h r i s t

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: August 13, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: August 13, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
Basic early-to-mid game stuff. Long sleeved shirts, hooded hard hat, steel-toed boots, etc. Got a steel spear with piercing/melee skill 4 and dodging 2. Remington 870 with 14 shells for emergencies.

How do I Cataclysm through this?

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: August 13, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »
Basic early-to-mid game stuff. Long sleeved shirts, hooded hard hat, steel-toed boots, etc. Got a steel spear with piercing/melee skill 4 and dodging 2. Remington 870 with 14 shells for emergencies.

How do I Cataclysm through this?
I would not consider a long sleeved shirt mid game. My suggestion blast your wheels until empty or they get too close then spear your way out and hope that you can either run or fight your way out. Speaking of which how the hell did you get there?

Offline CaioLugia

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: August 13, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
It's just that I hate encumbrance. Plus, I'm not actually in the middle of them, just "k" through the nearby school. Was searching for some books to get my mechanics/electronics up to build myself a welding rig.

Books takes me to great lengths, you see, heh.