Author Topic: Cataclysm DDA 0.6 "Samedi" released.  (Read 42232 times)

Offline Labtop_215

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm DDA 0.6 "Samedi" released.
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »
I just dislike that we can butcher them instead of smashing them because it defeats the purpose of smashing them.
I also dislike the smashing them repeatedly...
What if... When you smash a body it makes it take time (Like reading a book but of course much less time, you know it skips time)
And make it you can't butcher unless you've smashed them to a pulp... LOL, because butchering them defeats the purpose of smashing them... Really, it is for me, is the decision of lvling my melee or survival skill...

That seems arbitrary actually.  Like if I have the option of either smashing their faces in or just chopping the head off, why wouldn't I just chop the head off instead?  Butchering a corpse makes far more sense than ineffectually flailing away at it with a crowbar or a hammer.  Although personally, I like that I have the option anyway.

Offline Ferris Bueller

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
Butchering should take longer - More methodical
Smashing should be faster but make noise

Offline KWilt

• Zombie Food
  • Fire is a good-bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
I never understood the whole idea of debating smashing or butchering. Why not do both?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2013, 05:18:44 AM »
I never understood the whole idea of debating smashing or butchering. Why not do both?

Because while you do another two zeds are ~4 tiles away.  Work fast.  Knife, "s", aim at the corpse.

Offline KWilt

• Zombie Food
  • Fire is a good-bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2013, 05:47:03 AM »

Because while you do another two zeds are ~4 tiles away.  Work fast.  Knife, "s", aim at the corpse.

Pfft. If you can't take five minutes to take down any other enemies before you count your spoils, you're doing it wrong.

Geez, I just can't seem to play this game right, according to anybody's style. Am I really supposed to run after I engage? Seems silly to me

Offline darth_servo

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
Geez, I just can't seem to play this game right, according to anybody's style. Am I really supposed to run after I engage? Seems silly to me

I'll butcher a corpse even when I have Zs in sight.  I've gotten pretty good at judging how long it takes for them to close the distance.  Last thing I want during an extended skirmish is for the dead ones to pop back up as reinforcements...

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »
I just butcher the Zeds.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:26 AM »

Pfft. If you can't take five minutes to take down any other enemies before you count your spoils, you're doing it wrong.

Nah.  I normally butcher too; pulping then butchering is overkill in terms of stopping the zed from rezzing.  That scenario I offered was when I was full up on Lab first-pass salvage, had the machete in-hand and no room to put it back, was already a bit dinged and encumbered...so thinking "I should be going now."

Offline Sonny

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
Why is there y/n choice on butchering? Like that anything bad happens if you chop up some corpse. Meat from them goes bad even when unchopped. I'd definitely remove this Do you want to butcher this corpse? y/n choice, because all I ever do is... shift+b,y,shift+b,y,shift+b,y...

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2013, 05:31:45 PM »
Good point.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2013, 02:44:45 AM »
Why is there y/n choice on butchering? Like that anything bad happens if you chop up some corpse. Meat from them goes bad even when unchopped. I'd definitely remove this Do you want to butcher this corpse? y/n choice, because all I ever do is... shift+b,y,shift+b,y,shift+b,y...
Mainly so when you accidentally hit shift+b while a zombie is bearing down on your face you have an option to cancel if necessary.

Offline Sonny

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »
Mainly so when you accidentally hit shift+b while a zombie is bearing down on your face you have an option to cancel if necessary.

Ah, I understand.. Anyway, can't think of how one could push shift+b accidentaly if only keys we use for combat are directionals, t, f, maybe F. B already requires moving my thumb further when I keep shift pressed, and that y/n question is a bugger. Maybe add it in options, same like query on disassembling?

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
It's a regular concern; some two thirds of the players here, in my own humble opinion, approach the game as it was an arcade survival, other than that the inventory management in general (roguelike) is something of a perk. So if you are hurt and attempt to finish a task that lasts longer than usual (one turn), a predator may lunge out and harm you - the very one you ignored just before.
Anyway, any task that could be scripted through roguelike game's interface should have a query start; I still have 0.4 CataDDA with ol'skool bindings and it's (C)hop for me, not butcher any like now.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper