Author Topic: Vehicle Show and Tell  (Read 195631 times)

Offline AseaHeru

• Survivor
  • Looking for a way back into the Asylum.
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Show and Tell
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
dude... you just win.
I am in your threads, leaving piles of transparent comments.

Offline Caconym

• Survivor
  • Conspiracy Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

I think you need more trunks, just my opinion. :)

Offline AseaHeru

• Survivor
  • Looking for a way back into the Asylum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
no, it needs more turrets.
I am in your threads, leaving piles of transparent comments.

Offline TaintedHolyWater

• Survivor
  • Poisoning your antidote
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
Two, no three flamethrowers short of a win unfortunately, but you were close.
From the old world's demise
See an empire rise
From the north reaching far
Here we are

Offline Grackle

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »

I have two: one for clearing towns, the other for camping and storage.

Offline Caconym

• Survivor
  • Conspiracy Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
While not as crazy/awesome as other things posted here this is a quad bike I'm working on.

Offline Sep

• NPC
  • turretting triffids
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
hmm, hmm, /scratches beard, you know,
that sounds like an idea,
i could put flamethrowers and turrets in those

Offline Caconym

• Survivor
  • Conspiracy Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
hmm, hmm, /scratches beard, you know,
that sounds like an idea,
i could put flamethrowers and turrets in those
Do vehicle turrets fire automatically or do you have to man them yourself to use them?

Offline Sep

• NPC
  • turretting triffids
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »

this is the bubblebike aka the forest explorer.
after finding my 3rd flatbed on a farm i slaved over it all day yesterday. it has 4 36" wides, two next to the driver, so you could think it was build from a segway, one in front and one, for vanity, under the rear center trunk. 2 v6 engines power it. 3 tanks, flashlights wherever there was a slot. plates from the last slides in the neighborhood.

i was going for a 3x3 hovercar where i could be the turret but chickened out because of the acid rain. so i went for a double handle 'twister' cause i wanted to see the thing turn. here's what that looks like:

this is in the space before the lab i took over more than a year ago. when i do it right it can turn there without hitting the trunk-rover. my lab's next to a highway that goes straight for like forever. the thought is that i will burn down houses and/or make logging roads along that line so that it can fly through the world, ok, maybe with one more engine, before i set up camps to the far south and north..

going a few screens west i have a flooded road aka a swimming hole. its a single tile river tile that taught me the value of marking up the road with graffiti, meaning i can slow down or brake in time. with speeds like this i have to just look for the color before throttling down so i can make the turn into the forest on my final approach back to base.

back in reality though, i've never yet tried a mobile turret. i think it could work if i put 3 walls behind the driver and the turret on the rear handle. yes? what do i need to know about that?

Offline Sep

• NPC
  • turretting triffids
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Do vehicle turrets fire automatically or do you have to man them yourself to use them?

i think they fire automagically for as long as they have ammo .. without giving a thought to hitting you or smashing up your windows if anything hostile appears in their line of sight. i dont know that they have an on/off switch other than the ammo.

when i have juice again i might replace the 'rear' doors in the bubblebike with walls and put an opaque door behind the driver seat to see if i can get it to work without the whole thing turning into a fancy suicide machine.

Offline Greiger

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
Turrets can be turned on and off the same way as ammo.  And they act like a trunk for storage.  If there is compatible ammo inside their tile they fire it.

The machinegun goes through ammo wtfbbq fast though. I mean it just barfs lead.  So you might wanna turn it on only for 1 turn at a time.  Or else you may find 3 months worth of ammo collection vanish in the space of a city block.
I have a mod!  It has new vehicles! Like 3 wheeled microcars, dune buggies, trailer parks, and tanker trucks!
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13738.0

Offline Miloch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
I love this thread!

Offline fartbutt

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »

Based on a motorcycle. Wheels on the top and bottommost solar panel tiles.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:49 AM »
Solar panels.  Where are you solar-users finding them?  I've managed to find one storage battery & one electric motor in separate world maps.  Been through 3-4 garages so far on this map.

If I understand things properly, it's not possible to install both a gasoline & an electric motor on a given chassis & switch between them as needed, though, so making Das Auto* probably wouldn't work anyway.

*As in the car-version of Das Boot.  (I have the 6-hour German version, if it matters.)  Burns gas to move quickly & runs off charge to sneak through town.  Bonus if modded from a Beetle chassis.

Offline Sep

• NPC
  • turretting triffids
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »
ka, i got one from an npc one but all the others came from the garages. yes, they are very infrequent. and they are no sturdier than a flashlight. now i don't know if they magically inherit some of the strength of the roof plating you put them one - or if they are simply the most fragile piece of equipment in the game. 

i can not even keep my headlights repaired during a cruise through a new town but i've not run out of flashlights yet. not ever. not even close. because of that i would not even bother with solar.

but i have this untested suspicion that i energy storage units would loose their charge if i took them out of a frame acting as a 'solar farm' and then put them into a car. i would probably build a solar something if i tested that and it would hold charge.  but take the panel on the road or near a swamp. nope.

how do others do it, i mean, are there actual solar users that have had their car for more than a season?  .. no that its not raining all the time, it sure appeals!