Author Topic: The WTF Thread  (Read 28101 times)

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: The WTF Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »
No. 2989 in Launchpad: “grnd grnd grnd”

That's the sound of a Hacksaw cutting metal, such as when you cut open the bars in a sewer to get into the Lab from underneath.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »
Thanks.
No. 5489 in Launchpad: “Crunchy sugar in chocolate capsules. Legal and stimmy.” (description of “malted milk balls”)
What does the word “stimmy” mean here? I can’t find it in some dictionaries.

PS: And what kind of shape/food/whatever is meant with all those “flakes” I find throughout the item desriptions of foods (“fruit flakes”, “vegetable flakes”, “meat flakes”, etc.)? The only food-related meaning I find for “flake” stands for “shark fin” and this is Australian English …
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:02:19 PM by Wuzzy »

gtaguy

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
I translated "There's some Buffoon in the way!" Into: "There is some monkey in the path!"

Offline yobbo

• Contributor
  • Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
I think "flake" just means a small, flat, irregularly shaped thing. Like cornflakes, which I think are also in the game. Flakes of other things are probably little pieces of dehydrated whateveritis.

"stimmy" tho, i have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »
So vegetable flakes are like cornflakes, but not with corn but with vegetables intead?

I have a guess for “stimmy”: It’s a stupid synonym for “stimulating” and the word was made up on the spot. That would explain why I can’t find “stimmy” or even a verb “to stim” in any dictionary, not even the Urban Dictionary. The item description is for the malted milk balls and when I eat one, I get the  effect “stimulant”. To whoever came up with the word “stimmy”: WTF? ;-)

Here’s a new WTF: “Build Log & Sod roof”. I don’t know what a “Log & Sod roof” is supposed to be.

Offline ComputerWarrior

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »
So vegetable flakes are like cornflakes, but not with corn but with vegetables intead?

I have a guess for “stimmy”: It’s a stupid synonym for “stimulating” and the word was made up on the spot. That would explain why I can’t find “stimmy” or even a verb “to stim” in any dictionary, not even the Urban Dictionary. The item description is for the malted milk balls and when I eat one, I get the  effect “stimulant”. To whoever came up with the word “stimmy”: WTF? ;-)

Here’s a new WTF: “Build Log & Sod roof”. I don’t know what a “Log & Sod roof” is supposed to be.
Well, sod basically means grass, so maybe the logs are tied with really long weeds?
Favourite Cata DDA Fanfics:
-Alone
-Gamer of the Apocalypse

CDDA Soft Kitty Song: Undead kitty, gnawy kitty, little bundle of bites; Glaring kitty, evil kitty, num num nummm.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
Thanks.
No. 5489 in Launchpad: “Crunchy sugar in chocolate capsules. Legal and stimmy.” (description of “malted milk balls”)
What does the word “stimmy” mean here? I can’t find it in some dictionaries.

PS: And what kind of shape/food/whatever is meant with all those “flakes” I find throughout the item desriptions of foods (“fruit flakes”, “vegetable flakes”, “meat flakes”, etc.)? The only food-related meaning I find for “flake” stands for “shark fin” and this is Australian English …

Just saw this, sorry.  I made the malted milk balls: "stimmy" is indeed "stimulating", both in the sense of sugar-rush and enjoying the sensation eating them provides in your mouth.  It's a pretty common term in the areas of the Net I frequent.

Sod is a tough chunk of soil held together by grass roots.  Was a pretty common building material when folks were settling the USian Midwest/Great Plains region.

Offline jimboblordofeskimos

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Sod is grass with some dirt on it still, so the grass, roots and some of the dirt it comes with, a sod and log house is an old style peasant house that basically has grass growing all over it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:20:07 PM by jimboblordofeskimos »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Offline Taraq

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure that is what was intended with stimmy.
I wrote a thingy.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Is “Black Road” a cultural reference?
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
There is a setting called “Black Road” which causes—if activated—the game to spawn zombies at shelters. It sounds like this is some cultural reference and therefore shouldn’t be translated literally.
  • Is this correct?
  • What does “Black Road” refer to?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Is “Black Road” a cultural reference?
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
There is a setting called “Black Road” which causes—if activated—the game to spawn zombies at shelters. It sounds like this is some cultural reference and therefore shouldn’t be translated literally.
  • Is this correct?

It is a movie reference; I can't find the movie ATM though.  Sorry.

Concept is that it's a difficult path, I believe: you start out already under attack, after all.

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
  • Is this correct?

Concept is that it's a difficult path, I believe: you start out already under attack, after all.

I think the reference originates from this esoteric source.

In the MISERY fan-made modification for the PC game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, черная дорога or The Black Road is an option you can select when you start a new game. It's basically super-hardcore mode, starting you with virtually no equipment and in hostile territory.

What I think happened is somebody who likes S:CoP added it in as an homage.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
  • Is this correct?

I think the reference originates from this esoteric source.

In the MISERY fan-made modification for the PC game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, черная дорога or The Black Road is an option you can select when you start a new game. It's basically super-hardcore mode, starting you with virtually no equipment and in hostile territory.

What I think happened is somebody who likes S:CoP added it in as an homage.

Could've sworn I saw someone describe it as a movie-reference, but wouldn't be the first time I'd been wrong.  Fair enough.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 05:53:01 AM »
The description of the item “fertilizer” is “A token, representing fertilization of a plant.” (4138). I don’t know what that even means. What’s the purpose of this item?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Edit 1:
6431: “Flat bonus to damage.”
Related to martial arts. I don’t understand this.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:55:01 AM by Wuzzy »

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 06:11:53 AM »
The description of the item “fertilizer” is “A token, representing fertilization of a plant.” (4138). I don’t know what that even means. What’s the purpose of this item?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Edit 1:
6431: “Flat bonus to damage.”
Related to martial arts. I don’t understand this.

1) Fertilizer: looks like a placeholder item.  It represents that you've pumped nutrients into the soil, so the plant will grow more effectively.

2) That's a typo.  Damage sustained leading to expiration = how much injury was done to it in killing it  (shotgun blast, rifle bullet, chopped with swords, etc).

3) Physical trauma.

4) I wrote that; I've since changed it and gotten the replacement merged.  Current entry is "+2 bashing damage."  I trust that's clear enough.