Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released.  (Read 76691 times)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
I was actually planning on expanding the grab+drag operation to items and furniture too (and get rid of my awful hack in the construction menu), but it turns out to be a bit more complicated than dragging vehicles, go figure.

Need to look into some more draggable/specific vehicles and construction methods for them, like sledges, carts, barrows, etc...
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
Yeah, we really do need to be able to drag furniture instead of doing whatever we do now.
And the autodrag/move sounds as a very nice function

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
I was actually planning on expanding the grab+drag operation to items and furniture too (and get rid of my awful hack in the construction menu), but it turns out to be a bit more complicated than dragging vehicles, go figure.

Need to look into some more draggable/specific vehicles and construction methods for them, like sledges, carts, barrows, etc...

Just reimplement all furniture as a type of vehicle? ;)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
HAH! And that'd fix the contiguous furniture problem too... (pool tables, benches, beds, etc)

Items are actually easy, Grab->grab what? menu, then grab a pointer to the item.

The main problem with furniture is that it can have "contents" but the linkage is only that they're on the same square, so if you drag around a piece of furniture it will either leave its contents behind, or vacuum up everything as it moves over them.  I believe pushing furniture around currently does this, but it's awkward enough to do that in practice it's not an issue, if the grab were persistent it might be.

And that's why I made shopping carts vehicles, because they already had their own inventory.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Kewl, I played one amongst the latest of builds - though I rushed, I still need to ask.
What's the deal with carts spawning instead of walls? Were you guys trying to encourage stacks of 'em or something in that venue?
Still, pretty much enjoying the great improvement over more formidable zombies being actually formidable. Arms like trashcans do pummel like trashcans, and three spitters at once are a spell to take special care of. Glad to see that animals tend to migrate, too.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
Hrm, carts spawning in walls is a bug, they're supposed to just give up if they would end up in a wall.

Offline Darrus Dreadtiger

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
Huh. That's weird. I started near a city (size six) and it's completely devoid of Zombies...

Well, there is a fungal bloom up close (about 10 tiles away from the town) and I had a run in with the denizens.... hundreds of them... but they can't be all from the city, can they?

Okay, almost completely. There were child zombies in the parks and a horde of zombies left the hotel and did me in, but other than that... ghost town!

EDIT:

...well damn. Who would have known. 0.0 is actually not 0.8. I might have to raise the spawn rate again......

disregard...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:07:44 PM by Darrus Dreadtiger »

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
A curses mac version (so no tiles) of .8 is now available here until it eventually gets uploaded to the website itself. I'll take a look into possibly compiling a tiles version later, but for now curses is the only option.

Offline fartbutt

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 11:58:34 PM »
This game has come a long way. Congrats to the devs!

The city size option is great!

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »
Something worrisome I heard: what's the proportion on ice labs?  The original proposal was 50%, and now I'm hearing 100%.  The latter would make a fair amount of otherwise-decent stuff practically inaccessible.

Thanks much.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
Something worrisome I heard: what's the proportion on ice labs?  The original proposal was 50%, and now I'm hearing 100%.  The latter would make a fair amount of otherwise-decent stuff practically inaccessible.

Thanks much.
It's 50% IIRC.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »

Thanks much.
It's 50% IIRC.

OK, thanks.  Came up on a wiki talk page.  Will look into that at some point.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »
...well damn. Who would have known. 0.0 is actually not 0.8. I might have to raise the spawn rate again......
I've heard that there were problems on windows specifically where setting the spawn rate to less then 1 will automatically reduce it to zero. Sadly I can't replicate currently, which makes fixing the bug difficult.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
Thanks to i2amroy, we have a mac build!

Offline Weyrling

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »
There's mouth encumbrance now, how wonderful.
Being able to drag small vehicles around is pretty useful, I've been dragging motorcycles into alleyways for use as blockades, but they are extremely awkward to move in anything but straight lines, and they occasionally turn at ridiculous angles.

As far as the revival mechanics go, I'd rather see pulping the first resort and have butchering take more time. Also, can a zombie necromancer revive a pulped corpse? If not, maybe they should be able to. This would encourage burning and butchering as more reliable but time consuming methods.