Author Topic: C:DDA Design Outline  (Read 36261 times)

Offline knightkat

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: C:DDA Design Outline
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but do you have any general design document outlining the underlying procedural generation techniques that are used? I'd also be interested in how the AI is implemented and the mechanics of the crafting system.

In terms of the crafting system I took a look at the data/raw/items section and was wondering if you were planning to implement any form of procedural system for that rather than an explicit list.

This is all just for personal interest more than anything.

Thanks,

KnightKat

Online Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
Afraid not with the procedural generation, frankly I wouldn't look to dda for a good example of procedural generatiin, it's all very as hoc and messy, there's not much in the way of solid theory behind it.
No plans currently to do any procedural generation of items, monsters,  etc,  it would be rather difficult to harmonize procedural generation with wanting to be representative of real world items.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »
It would be fine for crafted items, though.
For example, we have those kinds of spears: wooden (fire-hardened), stone, copper, knife.
For monsters, having templates like young, monstrous etc. would add some flavor to the game.

Due to lack of recipes, wool is pretty useless as a material. Allowing it to substitute cotton would actually allow making it useful.
Even if it was as simple as just generating a duplicate entry with cotton replaced by wool and tiny adjustments to warmth.

The items in the game are only as representative of real world as their uses are. If an item is made useless by game mechanics (but useful IRL), it won't be representative until it becomes useful. In this case, wool is useless because of limited recipes and mild winters.

Offline Rising Star

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
So, hi. Just out of curiosity...how relevant is this roadmap now? As someone who's been playing the dev versions on and off for a few years, and I've been looking forward to the stuff past the basic Survival stage, like dealing more directly with stuff beyond zombies, maybe even getting to traverse the shimmering portals (or send in a drone, or something.) Or just more peaceful/non-combat interactions with the world, even, especially since NPC mutants are now a thing. Really, the thought of a gradual transition into a more fantastic game world is pretty exciting. Thanks!

Online Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
Its still quite accurate (i just re-read it briefly) as far as our intentions for development direction, though some priorities have shifted (we dont have anyone strongly championing mutations or martial arts at the moment).
I'd have to spend some serious time to evaluate how soon specific features could be expected, and I don't have the time at the moment.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline End Transmission

• NPC
  • Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo..
    • View Profile
    • End Transmission Games
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
"Low-intensity" is literally the dead last way I would ever describe C:DDA, but having read YOUR definition of it, I see what you guys mean.

I don't think the actual game is anywhere near there, because I've run 50+ experiments on trying to subsist peacefully in the woods that have ended with me being mauled to death by a zombie bear or smashed into chunks by a zombie hulk or had my legs melted off by acidic zombies in town looking for a gun enough of high enough caliber to prevent the former from happening or ripped apart by ants somewhere from point a to point b (I think you get my drift here) all of which is pretty fucking INTENSE, but I quite enjoy where the actual game is at, so I'll withhold my suggestions on how to make it "low intensity" in the sense you guys seem to mean it.

By the way, skimmed, did not read. Tried to avoid some of the spoilers while still getting a peek at the underlying design philosophy. Very interested in the world lore and how much of it can be learned in-game.
Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew - Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash, and Captain Dallas - are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up.