Author Topic: Cataclysm DDA "Multiplayer" Guide  (Read 10256 times)

Offline kingorkami

• Zombie Food
  • Never Knows Best
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm DDA "Multiplayer" Guide
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »
Which game had that feature where you met other players ghosts in your game? I think it was CDSS, but am not sure.
I experimented by running around and fisting all the children at my town's parks and seeing if I got more skilled.

Offline Alec White

• NPC
  • I'm shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
Which game had that feature where you met other players ghosts in your game? I think it was CDSS, but am not sure.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

There you met your previous dead character's ghosts

By the way no one mentioned that if you have several characters in the same world, and if you try to farm for food, it will act very very buggy.

Offline hexman

• NPC
  • no longer lurk here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »

DCSS has that feature, it's called 'Bones'; it originated from Nethack but it's much more dangerous in DCSS imo.

Although it isn't related much to this topic, there should be a ssh-server for C:DDA similar to NAO (nethack.alt.org) that Nethack has. Players will be able to watch other games in progress, play on machines which don't have a local installation and compete with others. But performance bottlenecks will be an issue since dda is a large game and performance issues still happen in normal game.

And I'm also not sure who will set up a dedicated cdda server and manage it. I think this issue was raised in the beginning but perhaps there was not much support for it and users didn't see any advantage over using a standalone installation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:13:01 AM by hexman »
"I've played since the eighties! I've seen more dungeons than Torquemada! I've killed more explorers than malaria! I've kicked in more doors than the LAPD and I've opened more chests than a M*A*S*H unit! Crom help me, I have ascended a Tourist." - Rob Balder (NetHack Parody Song)

Offline jacob.exe

• Zombie Food
  • My intuition does not prevent me from eating rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:03:40 AM »
I'm necroing this topic to share the experiences me and my friend had with our "multiplayer" cataclysm game, and how we set it up.

First off, the multiplayer we had set up allowed us to play on the same world at the same time, but we could not overlap reality bubbles. That was really the only catch and we could do anything else without problems or conflicting saves. The only real issues we had were not due to the game itself, but to the method of sharing that we were using. I'll explain more on this later.

These are the basics of how we got things to work (taken from another post of mine because I am lazy):
(click to show/hide)

What we had effectively done was to have cataclysm read and write map data to a common source. We did this on a Windows OS so it may not be the same process while using a different OS:
  • I first set up a dropbox account (and my friend already had one).
  • Then I downloaded the dropbox software onto my computer (this is needed for later).
  • Next, in cataclysm, I created a new world with an easily recognizable name, in that case I called it "SharedWorld" (although it can be called anything you want).
  • Outside of cataclysm, I took the newly created world file and moved it into my local dropbox folder (this was created when I installed the dropbox software, and can be accessed from the dropbox icon on the system tray).
  • Once I put the folder there it synced with dropbox and was saved online to my account, and at that point I shared the file with my friends dropbox account so he had it as well.
  • The next thing I did required the use of the command prompt: I created a junction using the path to the cataclysm world save folder (with "/SharedWorld" at the end) as the link, and the path to the actual "SharedWorld" folder (the one that I put inside my dropbox folder) as the target; doing this made a link in the save folder called "SharedWorld" which then caused cataclysm to read and write to the real "SharedWorld" folder that was located in the dropbox folder. In the command prompt this looked something like:
Code: [Select]
mklink /J path-to-save-folder/SharedWorld path-to-dropbox-folder/SharedWorld
  • Then I had my friend do the same steps to link their folder and voila! We were then using a shared world! And after we had set it up, we were able to join the same world at the same time (with different characters).
Now, the issues that we encountered came from us and our use of dropbox. Technically this world we were both in was not real time, but instead communicated in chunks as we periodically saved, meaning that our "interactions" between each other were dictated by when and how often we saved. We should have decided a mutual auto save interval, but we did not. This ended up causing his game to overwrite some of the looting that I had done in a lab, duplicating items. Another thing we should have done better was communication. Like I said earlier, you can't overlap reality bubbles, but you also can not overlap your reality bubble with the world data that someone else has modified before saving; the larger the auto save period, the larger the trail of unsaved world interaction a player will leave behind. If you overlap your reality bubble with an unsaved area, like me in the lab, whoever saves last overwrites the changes of the person who saved first, even if the last person to save was the first to modify the area in question. A way to avoid this almost completely is to have each game save nearly constantly, but that is sometimes too demanding on bandwidth and processing power. Instead, the most accessible way would be to set uniform auto save intervals and communicate when and where each member is going to be for the majority of the time. Eventually me and my friend came up with an easy way to make sure that we do not get too close to each other. We decided to divide the map into two sections, split down the middle, with 12 map tiles in between marked as the "no man's land". And if I needed to cross that boundary for some reason, then I would detail where I planned to go and would notify my friend when I returned and saved. We also did the same zone thing, but around cities that we claimed, using a map note every-so-often to trace a rough perimeter that was on the outer edge of the "no man's land" surrounding the city of either one of ours.

In the end of it all, we had fun trading things to each other and swapping roles as "base keeper" and "scavenger", It made the game 200% more awesome.

Edit: Feel free to nitpick and improve my information.
Edit: Edit: I can provide pictures for visualization on request.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:10:10 AM by jacob.exe »