Author Topic: ASCII/Retro tilesets  (Read 66007 times)

Offline Mamalque

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII/Retro tileset
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
This is great. And I for one quite like the zombie sprites. The girl sprite is great too, distinct, it's amazing how much you (or the artist) managed to convey with so little. I can't praise you enough, this will most likely be the one I eventually use.

I will echo the criticism regarding the color change, however. I find the darker colors of the first screenshot, not only the black, easier on the eyes. Though, as you say, it depends a lot on how one's monitor is set, and I understand I could just personally change them later on for my own use.

Offline HRose

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Made walls a single line. Not sure if I like this better, but it looks cleaner, especially in town.

Offline Mamalque

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
I'm... not sure either. But I feel the doors match the double lines better.

Offline HRose

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
walls:

Offline infectedmochi

• Survivor
  • Omnomnom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I like this new wall more, good job!

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
Yes. Thick walls better than single or double.

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »

Here, you can use these if you want to change the car layouts...
I only need to make 'em larger so they fit into the 8x14, or 8x15 pattern for the screen font.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline Tsu

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
This looks quite cool..  My only concern would be that it might feel a little overwhelming, that the low pixel density might be interpreted as heavy detail by your eyes. But it's a gorgeous style that I don't think I've ever seen an equivalent of.

trusty_patches

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
Oh. My. God.
It looks just like a game running on the Spectrum.
THIS MUST BE IN THE MAIN PACKAGE

Offline dwarfkoala

• NPC
  • Dwarven !!Engineering!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
I find the darker background better as well, but I also really like the thick single line walls.

I really like this tileset. Once it's done it's gotta be in the main package.

Cinghiale

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
For some reason this tileset bothers my eyes, my brain keeps shifting between the neon dots and the black background. However, maybe other people do not have this problem so don't consider it. It is beautiful looking from an artistic standpoint, if not functional for me :)  I don't think I'll ever stop using ASII, i've been playing with it so long it seems like heresy to quit using it.

Offline HRose

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

Here, you can use these if you want to change the car layouts...
I only need to make 'em larger so they fit into the 8x14, or 8x15 pattern for the screen font.

I'm not sure it can work. On one side the vehicles are changing frequently and still not 100% consistent in tile mode. On the other side every vehicle is built its own way and so it's hard to make tiles that look fine when recombined in different ways. Right now even the wheels aren't frequently shown.

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
I know. The game assumes your driving skill only lets you line up your vehicle once the turn is over and does so in 15-degree increments, but doesn't see fit that if you turn your steering wheel - the vehicle keeps on steering in that direction. The ideal thing would be, since movement is based upon direction keys, that if you keep steering you line up your ride with either diagonal, or x/y axis. Otherwise, hitting '.' key would straighten up your direction to the nearest of [0, 90, 180, 270] or [45, 135, 225, 315] respectively. It would certainly mean difficult maneuvering in-between the trees, but it is exactly how your character goes on walking/running on foot.
I've also recognized the other solution being that of what tiles you cover if you shift tiles the current way steering works, and it's far more complicated. It would require much more than a few redraw() funcs.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline dda

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
So. Im totally new to this. I tried to get this new tileset going by copying the relevant files into gfx/deontileset and then turn the tiles on but I still am only seeing the original deontileset. What am i doing wrong? If someone could take a moment to give me a detailed explanation on setting these gorgeous tiles it would be much appreciated.

Offline dv

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Maybe your file manager/archive manager didn't overwrite the files. You need to overwrite the existing files in gfx/DeonTileset with the files in the zip.

You can check deontiles.png to see if it worked.