Author Topic: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon  (Read 21069 times)

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
[Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
If you want something added to, removed from, or changed in the official canon thread, this is the place to suggest and discuss it.

The things discussed in this thread are only proposed changes - they become official when added to the official Canon thread.

Offline Nickboom

• Survivor
  • Nickboom 2: The Return of the Nickboom
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
I think we should add Rivtech to the official lore because we do have a large number of items from the company.
"Forrest's snuggle meter is running low. Jacklyn will have to get aggressive."

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Yeah, Rivtech deserves integration into the lore.

FWIW the reanimating agent/Blob is designated XE037 in the lab notes.  Not sure where the XE-101 designation came from.

(XE037b is when it's rezzing dogs.)

Offline EkarusRyndren

• Survivor
  • I will live forever because I am 45% preservative
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »
I third the Rivtech move.
But then deafness, yes. I forgot about deafness. It would be deafness with a :( face though.

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
It's generally assumed thee are a multitude of different companies working on various components of this program producing various things. Rivtech, Doubletech, Actem, XEDRA.

However, for the official lore, we're avoiding any specific names. At some point in the future we'd like to actually introduce a way to dynamically generate names for these companies tied to a specific world, so what might be a Rivtech item in one world might be a Doubletech property in the next. Important names might change too.

The overall lore, though, is generally unconcerned with which individual company manufactured or developed which particular weapon, so we'll be trying to avoid it. We won't be naming the president, for example, either.

XE-101 was renamed to XE-037 in the lab notes. I'll also be replacing them with/adding actual in game lab notes later on.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:56:54 PM by GlyphGryph »

Offline EkarusRyndren

• Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
It's generally assumed thee are a multitude of different companies working on various components of this program producing various things. Rivtech, Doubletech, Actem, XEDRA.

However, for the official lore, we're avoiding any specific names. At some point in the future we'd like to actually introduce a way to dynamically generate names for these companies tied to a specific world, so what might be a Rivtech item in one world might be a Doubletech property in the next. Important names might change too.

The overall lore, though, is generally unconcerned with which individual company manufactured or developed which particular weapon, so we'll be trying to avoid it. We won't be naming the president, for example, either.

Things like item names should be specific, for example the M1911 isn't manufactured by "Bob's Guns" but Colt, why can't the RM firearms be made by Rivtech? I can understand randomizing the president's name (Though I dislike the idea that while the plot stays the same the names change) and band names etc but maybe weapons manufactures and other things that are like that with static names?
But then deafness, yes. I forgot about deafness. It would be deafness with a :( face though.

Offline Luissen

• Survivor
  • Maned Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
Ignoring technicalities, as in the case of some firearms, the design is what we associate with the company, rather than the actual manufacturer. That being said, I see no reason to randomize some things, while other things like the name of the president aren't as important in game, despite being very important to a story based around it.

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
On a note with the triffids, I'm thinking right now of the Triffids being similar to a Dungeon Keeper Dungeon.

You have the Triffid Heart/Dungeon Heart keeping all the creatures under control and working together towards some common goal, and it's brutally intelligent, at least in some ways, but probably not much for conversation. Everything else in it's domain is essentially part of a "minion ecosystem" - it's a carefully cultivated garden, essentially.

Offline moist_zombie

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »
EDIT: just saw the nice stickied lore post here, so thats awesome :) Only thing I can think of is that if a bunch of small nuclear weapons went off in lots of places wouldn't there be some sun-blotting fallout type side effects from that, at least for a while? :| (Granted, if I'm correct at all in the first place, all that'd do is serve to make early game survival tougher) :|
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:42:31 PM by moist_zombie »

Offline EkarusRyndren

• Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
EDIT: just saw the nice stickied lore post here, so thats awesome :) Only thing I can think of is that if a bunch of small nuclear weapons went off in lots of places wouldn't there be some sun-blotting fallout type side effects from that, at least for a while? :| (Granted, if I'm correct at all in the first place, all that'd do is serve to make early game survival tougher) :|

Negative, unless nuclear weapon usage changed, we don't ground-burst weapons anymore because of how much fallout they create. They're air-burst now, which creates a nice EMP effect but a lot less fallout.

Offline RadaRadaRada

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Just a food for thought: How does the heart achieve control over the inducted lifeforms? Injection of mind-numbing chemical? Inducted parasite infestation, with same effects?

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
A variety of methods, depending on the life form in question. Modification, probably, for many of them - modifying them over time to be able to tap into the triffid root network. Perhaps sinking roots directly into their "brains" and modifying things more directly for some critters. For most, though, like the fungus and other more passive members, it just sort of guides their growth and prunes them where needed, much like a gardener "controls" his garden. It builds itself a nice little ecosystem that works the way it wants.

Mostly, though, it is probably through more subtle methods. It controls what grows where, probably fairly directly, and things have been "domesticated" to the extent that under the right circumstances they probably just do the right thing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:35:38 AM by GlyphGryph »

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
I would like to re-throw my suggestion:

Make the revival process require a minimum amount of nervous tissue instead of just biomass.

Once the creature body is under the blobs control, it would start to look for other living beings to consume in order to expand its nervous system. This is done by selectively breaking down the tissues of he consumed meat until only the nerves remain and then attaching this nerves into the rest of the host nervous system (eventually creating what could be described as  a stomach-brain). Once the original stomach is full, the blob could redirect the "Digestive system" to other parts of the host body and repeat the process.

This would explain:
-Why head shots damage zombies so much
-The relatively easy pulping (just smashing the head and the stomach in most common zombies)
-Critical hits (hitting the "brains" that are not located in the head)
-Why some zombies despite still being considerably human have more health (the expanded nervous system)

And could allow for
-Dismemberment once it is supported
-Crawler zombies
-Zombified variants of certain small creatures (like the guys in the lab expanded that rats nervous system)

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/fungal-fight-club

This is definitely providing some interesting information on some improvements to the Mycus lore.

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
Hmm I like the idea of the "tentacles" of the hypae bursting from fungal ground and attacking you and the fungal trees emitting clouds of toxins could be interesting.