Author Topic: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon  (Read 16628 times)

Offline RadaRadaRada

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
I've been working on clothing-up the map-extra corpses (the dead scientists, etc) and had a request to make some of 'em zeds.

It's certainly possible from the coding perspective, but represents a minor lore-change inasmuch as "OK, some of 'em <Got Infested>."  Just thought I'd raise the issue here and see if anyone had any objections.

Offline kilozombie

• Survivor
  • Don't trip on the (me) on the way in, har har
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
Would it be possible to make them res when you got within a certain distance, say 1 tile away?

Also you'd have to make sure they didn't drop Extra Stuff when they died, and they didn't magically shed their clothes when they stand up. Might be an ordeal. Check the tile and have them equip/pick up all the items there?

Unless that's already a function. If it's not, it really should be, for all zombies. Once they die, and get up, they should put on the items automatically, as if they were wearing them before.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
Would it be possible to make them res when you got within a certain distance, say 1 tile away?

Also you'd have to make sure they didn't drop Extra Stuff when they died, and they didn't magically shed their clothes when they stand up. Might be an ordeal. Check the tile and have them equip/pick up all the items there?

Unless that's already a function. If it's not, it really should be, for all zombies. Once they die, and get up, they should put on the items automatically, as if they were wearing them before.

Well, seeing as their presence deprives you of a Corpse, I haven't any problem with leaving their drops intact.  As for the rest, bit busy.  Thanks though.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »
Just a quick reference check: as of 2010, 1% of the most populous cities in New England came out to roughly 17,695 total survivors.  Granted, cities might have been hit harder, but that's only the most populous city in each state.  So I'd call that a conservative estimate.

Probably easier than pulling the Census data directly

In other words, NPC presence is pretty believable.  Don't be afraid to enable Static NPCs, and if you've got thoughts for how NPC interactions might improve the game, Acidia's work has made that far more manageable.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »
By the way, Huxtus implemented this.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Dark Star

• Zombie Food
  • Welcome to the Apocalypse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Uh,sorry for the late answer but...we can also explain the National Guard point of view,like evacuations,counterattacks,quarantine,retreating ecc during the Z-Day (the first day of the outbreak) and the others days after :) i know that there are some informations about the NG,but we can explain more things about the beginning,during and after the outbreak,it could be interesting :) also,i'm working on an Cataclysm DDA anime (cartoon) and i need a lots of informations about the game,enemies,survivors communities,the government ecc xD i've got all the information about the canon timeline but i'm afraid that i can wrong some informations XD

(also i need some voice actors for my charachters voice xD)

Offline Wanderer

• NPC
  • Trying to reach 120'00.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
Uh,sorry for the late answer but...we can also explain the National Guard point of view,like evacuations,counterattacks,quarantine,retreating ecc during the Z-Day (the first day of the outbreak) and the others days after

Well, we really need some explanation to why one week after the Cataclysm happened, no more military can be found, only traces of it. Maybe the initial missions resulted in a mix of failure(losing against strong monsters, result of FEMA Camps...) and success(saving scientists and important information, rescuing some people - a few only) but a definitive amount of information regarding the new threats, and now the military is defending important locations and studying some sort of counter attack... far far away of New England :/

:) i know that there are some informations about the NG,but we can explain more things about the beginning,during and after the outbreak,it could be interesting :)

It could give more material and challenge for late-game survivors, with the military showing up with a plan and acting upon it, maybe requesting help, maybe rescuing people, maybe killing people who mutated too much.

also,i'm working on an Cataclysm DDA anime (cartoon) and i need a lots of informations about the game,enemies,survivors communities,the government ecc xD i've got all the information about the canon timeline but i'm afraid that i can wrong some informations XD

O_O Survivor's communities spin around an addition in the game about a shelter where a group of survivors managed to organize themselves, don't remember who added that to the game, but pressing # in the game should give you a list of them. I guess there's some good material for inspiration here in The Library(sorry, never read any of the tales here) and definitively in the "How did you last die" thread in The Bunker.
A photon cannon!
Which is nothing more than a flashlight with a fancy name.

Future zombies discussion.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 04:24:50 AM »
Uh,sorry for the late answer but...we can also explain the National Guard point of view,like evacuations,counterattacks,quarantine,retreating ecc during the Z-Day (the first day of the outbreak) and the others days after

Well, we really need some explanation to why one week after the Cataclysm happened, no more military can be found, only traces of it. Maybe the initial missions resulted in a mix of failure(losing against strong monsters, result of FEMA Camps...) and success(saving scientists and important information, rescuing some people - a few only) but a definitive amount of information regarding the new threats, and now the military is defending important locations and studying some sort of counter attack... far far away of New England :/

:) i know that there are some informations about the NG,but we can explain more things about the beginning,during and after the outbreak,it could be interesting :)

It could give more material and challenge for late-game survivors, with the military showing up with a plan and acting upon it, maybe requesting help, maybe rescuing people, maybe killing people who mutated too much.

also,i'm working on an Cataclysm DDA anime (cartoon) and i need a lots of informations about the game,enemies,survivors communities,the government ecc xD i've got all the information about the canon timeline but i'm afraid that i can wrong some informations XD

O_O Survivor's communities spin around an addition in the game about a shelter where a group of survivors managed to organize themselves, don't remember who added that to the game, but pressing # in the game should give you a list of them. I guess there's some good material for inspiration here in The Library(sorry, never read any of the tales here) and definitively in the "How did you last die" thread in The Bunker.

It's a case of the lore being tough to find.  If you talk with the Old Guard rep in the refugee center, he'll explain the situation.  Basically, yeah, The Troops have pulled back and are operating from ships out in the Atlantic.  DC is likely overrun, FWIW.

Offline Dark Star

• Zombie Food
  • Welcome to the Apocalypse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
Uh,thanks for the answers guys :D maybe in the next months i'll could create the first episode ^^

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »
Based on Coolthulhu's recent AI rework, I propose to change the lore:

Quote from: Current lore
In an effort to combat the new threats of both large amounts of undead humans and various otherworldly horrors, the automated security forces are quickly reprogrammed to behave much more aggressively, killing threats instead of just trying to arrest them if they were supposed to, and adopting a much wider view of what constitutes a threat. Unfortunately, this backfires - they still fail to identify the undead as humans, and continue to ignore them since animals can't be criminals, but the new settings lead them to turn on the human "trespassers" running the security network, and the networked security systems identify almost any living human as a hostile threat to be eliminated. The larger network itself collapses shortly afterwards, leaving no way to adjust the settings back, as each security unit - police station, military turret, autonomous hunter vehicle - reverts to independent control operating under the last instructions received

Would be modified thus:
Quote from: Proposed new lore
(...)Unfortunately, this backfires - though they do identify the undead as a threat, and in several cases successfully engage them, the new settings also lead them to target the human "trespassers" running the security networks,(...)"

Thoughts?

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 01:03:19 AM »

Would be modified thus:
Quote from: Proposed new lore
(...)Unfortunately, this backfires - though they do identify the undead as a threat, and in several cases successfully engage them, the new settings also lead them to target the human "trespassers" running the security networks,(...)"

Thoughts?

I'll Support that change. Seeing robots fight zombies is rather awesome, afterall.

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:10 AM »

*snip*

I like it.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 01:48:25 AM »
With no objection, change made.

Offline Burnt Earth

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
What ever happened to acid rain? I think if the acid rains killed off much of humanity, they should melt all the zombies and wildlife, trees, houses and everything that can dissolved by acid, as well.

For being a xenophobic, highly reactionary, well-armed populace in this society, I wonder how there are zombies at all, seeing as a basic survivor with a basic rifle and basic weapons or a compact sedan can safely eliminate any number of zombies, fungus, ect and clear a whole town alone, let alone a whole police department, national guard unit, robot armies, ect.

I noticed the lore now says 'high explosives' instead of 'nuclear warheads' in regard to the attempt to stop the cataclysm. I think the latter makes more sense to explain all the drained batteries in cars and broken generators and computer terminals, only hardened or well insulated electronics survive. If they have nukes and they need violence to keep the world intact, they'd use them for sure.

How does the whole blob-infection thing work again? If it's in the drinking water, it's safe to assume every survivor and creature everywhere is infected and will reanimate on death. If it can survive the processes used to service the tap water supply, it can survive in any source of water, so everything in New England has done caught da blob.... Which makes me wonder, if a blob-infected woman gets pregnant, does the kid get the blob, too? Gets born and dies with this alien thing in it forever, doesn't that destroy any chance humanity has to win? How about a miscarriage? The fetus goes zombie-mode?

Also I was always under the impression the rest of the world outside of New England is relatively intact, if not thrown in absolute chaos and economic collapse... I pictured New England as some sort of Stalker-style dead-zone and the rest of the world is experiencing total war and anarchy and losing, but not the whole-sale infection and death, so the whole military is off-map fighting with moving zombie hordes and portals and holding the line and considers this area the game takes place in basically a lost cause, with just some token stay-behinds. Either way, too busy to help, but still there, just because it doesn't make sense everyone in the world would die in 5 days when human technology is so powerful....

So this conflict with China and Russia and the US is such a point, maybe it means the world had a nuclear war at the same time as the cataclysm? The US nukes it's own country to deal with the portals, provokes a nuclear attack by China thinking the launches are aimed at them, and it goes back and forth in the chaos. End result is a barely-functioning government, mostly dead people around and EMP-related damage to electronic systems. Other countries not nuked have EMP damage, imploded economies and are dealing with dimensional weakening anyways.

Probably otherthinking the game, but hey, I like to be immersed in fiction.