Author Topic: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon  (Read 16629 times)

Offline Cataclysmic Days Await

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion Thread] Changing the official Canon
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:09 AM »
*snip*
I agree, i've always wondered what happened to the rest of the world, but just assumed the undetermined type of explosive kind of wiped out any type of communication with everything else going on in the world.

As for the acid rain, i think anything in a car/under a piece of metal would have survived, the wood land creatures are hiding in their force-field trees, and everything else was melted/strongly maimed. Maybe make about half the zombies be heavily/severly injured, but almost all drops gone? Could just add a new type of zombie with VERY low health and almost no loot...that would make the game aline with lore, but gameplay might not be as interesting..... to the source code!
-CDW, your friendly idiot/nerd/horrible writer combo :)

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »
What ever happened to acid rain? I think if the acid rains killed off much of humanity, they should melt all the zombies and wildlife, trees, houses and everything that can dissolved by acid, as well.

For being a xenophobic, highly reactionary, well-armed populace in this society, I wonder how there are zombies at all, seeing as a basic survivor with a basic rifle and basic weapons or a compact sedan can safely eliminate any number of zombies, fungus, ect and clear a whole town alone, let alone a whole police department, national guard unit, robot armies, ect.

How does the whole blob-infection thing work again? If it's in the drinking water, it's safe to assume every survivor and creature everywhere is infected and will reanimate on death. If it can survive the processes used to service the tap water supply, it can survive in any source of water, so everything in New England has done caught da blob.... Which makes me wonder, if a blob-infected woman gets pregnant, does the kid get the blob, too? Gets born and dies with this alien thing in it forever, doesn't that destroy any chance humanity has to win? How about a miscarriage? The fetus goes zombie-mode?

Acid rain was cut out when weather got reworked. Bringing it back isn't as easy as flipping back a switch, because now we'd have to consider the implications (why don't animals care about being showered in acid?). When we get some more advanced AI like shelter seeking behavior, acid rain would be cool to have back.

Lore suggests that the initial invasion wasn't just zombies, but hardcore stuff like shoggoths and flying polyps. Then all the really bad stuff died due to being unadapted to live there.

Kid probably would get the blob. Humanity doesn't really need to "win", only learn to cope with all the dead reanimating. Cremate everyone instead of burying, for example.
Fetus wouldn't reanimate because it's too small. Lore doesn't state what happens to small blob-infected things, only that they don't reanimate.

For technical reasons, small blob-infected things just rot and disappear. Later on (when human, moose, bear etc. corpses reanimate), small blob-infected stuff could just turn into small blobs or something like that. It would make sense for the blob to eat the surrounding body when it is no longer keeping it contained.

Offline SteeleMatrix

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »
Probably otherthinking the game, but hey, I like to be immersed in fiction.

Fiction? Who ever told you this was fiction... O_o

Offline Soyweiser

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4160.0 think this topic might now be partially out of date. Somebody should go over it. (somebody better versed in the current lore).
"Put me in charge and you'll have finished and polished game with hundreds more new features within two months." -- Lazycat
"Voker57 just was wondering about when did cata turn into contact lenses user simulator"

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:36 AM »
Quite likely. Well, I'm versed enough in general lore (I play the game), but I would not be able to nitpick on all backhistory details as I did not write the original lore. Now that I've got a post here, it'll pop up occasionally on my new-replies dash and remind me to take a look over this for anything glaring. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:31:14 AM by Pthalocy »
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline Sir1Kernicus

• Zombie Food
  • Bone Glue and Rags
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »
Are the fungal blooms then like cordyceps?
Bones for (dda)ys

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
They've certainly got attributes of them, though I wouldn't go so far to say that that's all that they are.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4160.0 think this topic might now be partially out of date. Somebody should go over it. (somebody better versed in the current lore).
Quite likely. Well, I'm versed enough in general lore (I play the game), but I would not be able to nitpick on all backhistory details as I did not write the original lore. Now that I've got a post here, it'll pop up occasionally on my new-replies dash and remind me to take a look over this for anything glaring. Thanks!
I can agree that it's quite out of date. I wrote up a first draft of a lore compilation on the developer forums a while back, but school had stopped me from fixing stuff up and trying to get a few more pieces of it implemented into the game to tie the whole thing down a bit more. Hopefully now that I've got a couple of weeks of break (and my next semester shouldn't be quite as demanding), I should be able to start going over it rewriting some of the suggested changes and tying it into the actual game a bit more.

Offline karlnp

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:17 AM »
They've certainly got attributes of them, though I wouldn't go so far to say that that's all that they are.

I can agree that it's quite out of date. I wrote up a first draft of a lore compilation on the developer forums a while back, but school had stopped me from fixing stuff up and trying to get a few more pieces of it implemented into the game to tie the whole thing down a bit more. Hopefully now that I've got a couple of weeks of break (and my next semester shouldn't be quite as demanding), I should be able to start going over it rewriting some of the suggested changes and tying it into the actual game a bit more.

Post it!

Offline MrQwerty

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »
Kid probably would get the blob. Humanity doesn't really need to "win", only learn to cope with all the dead reanimating. Cremate everyone instead of burying, for example.
Fetus wouldn't reanimate because it's too small. Lore doesn't state what happens to small blob-infected things, only that they don't reanimate.

So does that mean humanity as we know it WILL die out eventually? Or can a human female succesfully give birth to a blob-infected human baby? Will the blob infection harm the kid or possibly even mutate him? If humanity is fated to die out, then this universe is much more darker than i initially thought...

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
This universe has 90-95% of all wildlife larger than a cat dying out in the first year, and in 5 days 95% of observable humanity is dead or looting each other and injecting pureed meat into the bloodstream . . .

afa babies, that sounds like a lore thing almost exclusively, so theres not much evidence for it in-game, but I would imagine that deformed/mutated babies would be born much more often than normal.  Not to say they would be prominent or more than 50% of births.  But, luckily, most mutations in game are distinct and 'complete' in that they aren't grossly eldritch.

so I would say miscarriages and damage to the uterine wall/mother more likely than baby dying.  And male sterility.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:20:02 PM by pisskop »

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Agree with pisskop, there's nothing that makes all of humanity effectively infertile, so it's not an enforced die-off (though extenction is a very real possibility).
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline ChairmanPoo

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
I'd like the arcana mod to become official lore.  Minor uncontrolled dimensional breakthroughs before the cataclysm would explain the unearthed horrors and temples. And ancient secret societies exploiting those breakthroughs adds a very interesting flavor

Offline TheFlame52

• Survivor
  • Forumite Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »
I say no. It's a major change and doesn't really fit the theme we have now.
Quote from: Jarlaxle
All hail our new Over(powered) Lord TheFlame52
Quote from: Arek_PL
THEY CAN DAMAGE FLAME! WE ARE DOOMED!
Quote from: Jakers
Oh Marloss Man, you and your unstoppable rampages throughout the world.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • Closet Brute
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
Question about lore:

Can a giant rattlesnake be zombified?
  Im not asking because I specifically want to add one, Im asking because some body suggested it and I honestly don't know exactly where that one sits.

Most giant animals are invertabrates, who arent capable of being zombied.  But the snake isnt.  Any mammal with sufficient mass can be zombified, and many non-mammals as well.  So could it?

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
AFAIK the rattlesnake is a weird case where the blob is treating something non-insectile like it would an insect, by enlarging it to a giant size. Since it underwent the insect process that would make me think no, but the fact that it's not actually an insect would make me think yes.

Personally I think overall I'm going to vote no, giant snakes can't become zombies, but if you could come up with some cool stuff for the idea and get it approved then it's not exactly a bit of lore that I feel has been pretty set into stone yet personally, so inertia and coolness get a fair bit of say in the way that the cards fall.