Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released.  (Read 75299 times)

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released.
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
I'm not getting your point, are you saying I should manually interface with the windows native audio API?
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
If the opinion on the SDL only builds in the future still matters, then yes - there are no outstanding issues with porting an application to the Primary Driver. Otherwise, I was just revisiting some of the standard error states WinXP+ systems have streaming genuine, virtual and hybrid variants of mixer/reproducing ports.
I have a few hybrid drivers on my PC so consider it a stable ground for those proofs. :-)
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline Narc

• Zombie Food
  • Build system maintainer
    • View Profile
    • Narc.ro
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
Uh, SDL_mixer probably just calls out to the native Windows drivers under Windows. And probably calls out to either ALSA or Pulse on Linux. Why would one want to have a hackish implementation that works on only one platform when you can write to the API that abstracts that stuff away?

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »
In short, my opinion is that the SDL_mixer author probably knows more about this stuff than all of us put together ;)
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
Quote from: self
If the opinion on the SDL only builds in the future still matters, ...
The XP-discussing post was merely an opinion, and to forward one previous thought that seemed to be in the air. SDL team was brilliant and the package prooved to be exactly what the indie community needed -- it's that there are 4kb demos out there that make use of the native mixer and default driver with no conflicts whatsoever.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper