Author Topic: Errors in English strings  (Read 11228 times)

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Errors in English strings
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
Bad plurals:

• refillable lighter (lit)s
  • RC car (on)s

Offline LazyCat-rus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »
Yo, here’s another bad string:

“Your skill level won't improve, but %s has more recipes for yo”

Yo! ;-)

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
Another simple typos:
  • <npcname> catches ans spins %s!
  • A roll-your-own made from tobacco and rolling paper. Stimulates mental acuity and reduces appetite. Despite being hand crafted, it's still highly addictive and hazardous to health.
And now for a term I think it may be not exactly wrong but maybe it is a bit problematic.
It is “moonshine”. AFAIK this term refers to some kind of alcohol which has been illegally (!) produced. The emphasis is on the illegality here, the kind of alcohol itself does not matter. However, it seems to me that C:DDA uses this term just for a certain kind of alcohol. This can be even produced by the player. Illegallity does not matter much anymore in the C:DDA world, so I suggest to replace all occourances of “moonshine” with a better term. I think the new term should somehow describe the contents of the alcohol. Sorry, I can’t suggest you a better term now, since I am no expert here. So what do you think?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Another simple typos:
  • <npcname> catches ans spins %s!
  • A roll-your-own made from tobacco and rolling paper. Stimulates mental acuity and reduces appetite. Despite being hand crafted, it's still highly addictive and hazardous to health.
And now for a term I think it may be not exactly wrong but maybe it is a bit problematic.
It is “moonshine”. AFAIK this term refers to some kind of alcohol which has been illegally (!) produced. The emphasis is on the illegality here, the kind of alcohol itself does not matter. However, it seems to me that C:DDA uses this term just for a certain kind of alcohol. This can be even produced by the player. Illegallity does not matter much anymore in the C:DDA world, so I suggest to replace all occourances of “moonshine” with a better term. I think the new term should somehow describe the contents of the alcohol. Sorry, I can’t suggest you a better term now, since I am no expert here. So what do you think?

"Hooch" and "homebrew" (yes, it doubles as a noun) may be suitable terms, though I don't think "moonshine" should be considered a problem.

Feel free to file a PR fixing typos.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
OK, I will file a PR. And nah, this moonshine thing is not so serious.

But I found two more placeholder strings (src/npctalk.cpp):

• asked_to_train
  • asked_personal_info

Will they be replaced?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:03:44 PM by Wuzzy »

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »
OK, I will file a PR. And nah, this moonshine thing is not so serious.

But I found two more placeholder strings (src/npctalk.cpp):

• asked_to_train
  • asked_personal_info

Will they be replaced?

IIRC those are disease/effect tags so you can't keep pestering the NPC.  I don't think they show up as such in the game, but if so, let us know.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »
Thanks for reporting, those aren't placeholders, they're internal labels, they shouldn't be translated.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 04:53:46 AM »
“Fill a container with %drink”

This looks wrong to me and I don’t know what would be the correct version of it.

Offline LazyCat-rus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
Bug in iexamine::keg
Possible fixes:
"Fill a container with %drink" = > "Fill a container with drink"

Or

_("Fill a container with %drink") => string_format(_("Fill a container with %s"), drink->tname().c_str()

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
There are some minor issues with English strings, please fix them before the string freeze:

This string is wrong:
~       Liquid
%%%%       Food
!       Medication
These are all consumed by using %s. They provide a certain amount of nutrition, quench your thirst, may be a stimulant or a depressant, and may provide morale. There may also be more subtle effects.

The 2nd line should be “%%       Food” instead.

This is a flyer for a fast food chain.  In it, a man is placing an order with an attractive woman wearing a bright green shirt in the window with two happy children sitting in the back seat.  The poster reads "Burgers, fries, and a Smile." Down in one corner is a company logo.
This is a flyer for a fast food chain.  In it, a man is placing an order with an attractive woman wearing a bright green shirt in the window with two happy children in the back seat.  The poster reads "Burgers, fries, and a Smile." down in one corner is a company logo.  Someone has gone to town on this one with a permanent marker.  It is now covered in rude images and racial epithets.
The texts talk about a flyer first, then suddenly and magically it becomes a poster.

A military-grade combat flamethrower designed by Rivtech, the RM451 flamethrower incorporates a cycling pressure rapid-feed fuel system with a high-speed piezoelectric igniter.  Solidly built with durability and in mind, it serves as an incredibly destructive weapon in the right hands.
“built with durability and in mind” lol

POPULAR MECHANICS: People say mechanics is boring.  We say, "Prove them Wrong!" We've got all the articles that make it interesting to talk about, so you can "Make Mechanics Popular!"
This text appears 4 times almost verbatim, which is really redundant. The differences are just some punctuation characters which don’t alter meaning significantly. I think those strings should be merged. Some other advertisement texts also appear 2 or more times: GREENS supermarket, GLAMOPOLITIAN.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
Thanks.

The magazine ads are intended to run in different items, so the strings happen multiple times.  Sorry.  Rest of 'em look needed, and I'll fix in my current merge.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
Bug in iexamine::keg
Possible fixes:
"Fill a container with %drink" = > "Fill a container with drink"

Or

_("Fill a container with %drink") => string_format(_("Fill a container with %s"), drink->tname().c_str()

Just tested in-game and that line is overwritten by the option line below it (which is basically your second option there).  Thanks for reporting, though.

Offline Arex

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
Your protective shell has grown large enough to accomodate--if need be--your whole body.
There should be "accommodate".

You have a pair of large, translucent wings. They are too small to lift you, but are powerful enough to greatly speed your momvement, with some effort and noise.
"movement"

Offline Arex

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
You whap %s with your tail!
%s whaps %s with his tail!
%s whaps %s with her tail!

Maybe "whip(s)".

Code: [Select]
#: lang/json/GENERIC_from_json.py
msgid "oars"
msgid_plural "oars"

#: lang/json/GENERIC_from_json.py
msgid "Oars for a boat"
It isn'n quite clear what oars unit is used -- an oar or pair (or set) of oars.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:15:32 PM by Arex »