Author Topic: Adventures in a Fallen World (Chapter 14 done)  (Read 24996 times)

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in a Fallen World (A Sequel to Alone)
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »
SORRY, SORRY

Wrestling is a massive time sink! And now it's Christmas, so I'm having a hard time getting an update out.

It ain't abandoned, just I've been very, very busy.
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline Mr.Bananza

• NPC
  • A man on a journey of self illiteracy
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »
Could you say that the time allotted to the project has... fallen?

Maybe your story will only have a... lone chapter?

Or possibly the narrative is just... jum - ping around a little bit.

Puns are the best, we should use them all the time.

sovietspyder

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
TOO MUCH PUN

And It's ok, Jumjummju, I understand that feeling, Track was a massive fucking time sink when I used to run it. barely got an hour to do anything at all.

Offline storm1911

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »

you remember me too much of someone from ss13.... he just kept the puns

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »

You could say these puns have some Claire-ity.

TOO MUCH PUN

And It's ok, Jumjummju, I understand that feeling, Track was a massive fucking time sink when I used to run it. barely got an hour to do anything at all.

As someone that does Track as well as Wrestling (and Cross Country) I can say from experience that A) Wrestling is even more of a timesink than track, and B) Running still sucks. :P
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline Mr.Bananza

• NPC
  • A man on a journey of self illiteracy
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Quote from: jumjummju
As someone that does Track as well as Wrestling (and Cross Country) I can say from experience that A) Wrestling is even more of a timesink than track, and B) Running still sucks. :P

"... especially when running away from zombies"
FTFY

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
Contrary to what is popular belief, I am not dead. Just undead. Dark Souls has eaten my life when I'm not wrestling.

Anyway, I was able to stop being a procrastinating twat long enough to finish a chapter before the new year. So yay!

"Writing more" is high on my New Year's resolutions, at least. Sorry for the delay. ;-;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 2: Undead Residences

Anthony Korb

I huddled as close to the flame as I could get without burning myself, as I took a bite out of my chunk of cougar meat.

“You look pretty cold there, Tony,” Jenny said.

I took another bite. “No shit. It’s like 20 degrees out, and this dress shirt’s pretty thin. And how can you eat that?” I pointed to her meat, which was so rare I could see red in it. “It’s practically still moving!”

“I like it rare! Besides, yours is burnt,” she protested.

“At least mine’s safe. You can get sick from eating food that raw.”

“I’ve been eating steak like this for years, and haven’t gotten anything, so pbthbp,” she blew a raspberry at me. “It needs some steak sauce, though. Got any A1?”

I rolled my eyes. “If I did, I’d’ve used the entire bottle by now.” I ate the remaining piece of my meat. “Ready to go?” I said around the food still in my mouth.

She swallowed hers before affirming, “Yeah, let’s go. But first, I think we should take inventory.”

I looked quizzically at her as I stood up. “What’d’ya mean by that?”

“Well, I’d like to know all of what we have between us. I know you have a handgun and a hunting knife. I’m just wondering what else you have on you.”

“What, am I being interrogated now?” I muttered, incredulously. “Sorry, I don’t have anything else on me, and I only have a few shots left in the handgun. What about you?”

She opened her messenger bag and looked inside. “The collapsible crossbow, 10 or so bolts, pain meds, antibiotics, bandages, basically anything you’d find in a first aid kit. No food or other weapons, though.” She zipped it back up. “Anything in the trunk?” she asked, pointing towards our car.

I shrugged. “I ‘unno. Didn’t check; I assumed it was empty.” A brief check later proved me wrong.

Inside were some basic essentials, including a crowbar, some rope, and a first aid kit.

“Great, more medications. I think we have enough to perform open-heart surgery now,” I muttered. “Ready to get going? I’m fucking freezing out here.”

“Alright. You driving?”

“Yeah,” I replied, getting in the driver’s side. I started up the car, and within a minute, we were back on the road, our little campfire and gutted cougar still there, having been left as is.

------------------------------------------
Jenny Greene

A few hours later the sun was about to go down. Unfortunately, the fuel gauge on the car followed suit, and we stopped in the middle of the road.

Tony punched the dashboard, angrily. “Dammit!”

I stepped out of the car and into the frigid air. The difference was staggering, especially since the car was heated. As soon as Tony got out he immediately started shivering.

“F-f-f-fuck, it’s been getting c-cold so damn fast,” he muttered. He was right, as even I was getting cold, and my fur clothes were much warmer than his.

I pointed down the road. “There’s a small town over there; I guess we could try and find shelter there.” I quickly started loading the supplies from the car into my bag.

“Yeah, and get eaten by zombies? No t-thanks,” he said.

“Well, if you’re happy freezing to death, have fun. I’m going there,” I replied, walking off towards the city. He just groaned and followed me.

A short jog later and we approached the outskirts of the town. There were undead sprinkling around the place, in small numbers but still enough to warrant caution. We sneaked around the back of a building and tried entering a house from the back; it was locked.

Tony took the crowbar and levered the door open, however. Who needs keys? Or even lockpicks?

The crack sound made by the door was – thankfully – quiet enough to not attract the undead wandering in the street out front.

It was mildly warmed inside of the house, mostly due to the absence of a wind chill, but Tony was still shivering madly. I was starting to get afraid he’d get hypothermia.

Since we were mostly just looking for clothes at the immediate time, we ignored the kitchen and headed straight for the stairs, content that we’d search it for edibles later.

Up in the hallway, Tony and I opened separate doors on either side of the hallway. Tony muttered “bathroom…” as he opened his, and upon opening mine, I had no time to react as an undead lunged at me.

He barged me back and pinned me against the wall. I yelped in fear, and pushed back against him to try and keep him from biting my face. In my wild flailing, he managed to grab my wrist and bite hard. I shouted in pain, but thankfully it stopped as soon as it had started. Tony had shoved it off of me, and stabbed it through the head with his knife, killing it.

I looked down at my wrist; it was a pretty deep wound, and it hurt. “Fucking ow!” I said, trying to keep from shouting any more lest I incur the wrath of the undead out front.

“Jesus!” Tony said when he saw my wound. “You okay?”

“Yeah, t’is just a flesh wound,” I replied, trying to lighten the situation. Tony either didn’t catch the reference or ignored it.

“C’mon, let’s get you bandaged up,” he said, as he started pushing me towards the bathroom. I lightly shoved him off.

“Relax, I’m a nurse; well, I was in medical school to be a nurse, anyway. I’ll handle it; you just go look for warm clothes; I can’t fix frostbite with a bandage and oxycodone.” He seemed content with this, giving me a worried look but also gave me a thumbs up, before retreating into the bedroom.

I quickly turfed through the medical cabinet above the sink in the bathroom, but only found some cold medicine. I tried running the faucet, but only got some small drops of water. Fucking water didn’t even work.

I sighed, annoyed that I’d have to dig into my own medical supplies, and opened my messenger bag. I popped a painkiller and rubbed some antibiotic ointment over the wound, then quickly wrapped it in a bandage. It still stung, but at least it was as clean as I could get it without water.

Satisfied with it, I left the bathroom and knocked on the bedroom door. “Hang on,” came the reply from the other side, and a few moments later it opened to show Tony wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants and a thick, fur-lined black jacket that had a slightly lighter gray dragon over the front.

I also nabbed a brown fur hat, since my head was getting cold. And because I guess I needed more fur worn on me.

I sat on the bed. “That's one essential need taken care of.”

He sat down beside me and quickly started lounging. "We still need food."

"My rumbling stomach agrees. We should also banish the undead out front, if we want to rest here safely," I replied.

He looked at me quizzically. "'Banish' the undead? That sounds more like your performing an exorcism, not smashing in their brains."

I chuckled. "I was trying to sound dramatic!"

He rolled his eyes light-heartedly. "Anyway, let's kill them first; it's making me uneasy."

"Agreed. Do you want the crowbar or the hunting knife?"

"Huh?"

"Well, they're our only silent weapons, and I'm actually not very good with a crossbow. At all," I explained. "So, which will it be?"

"Just give me both and let me handle it," he said, getting up.

"Oh, no you don't." I followed after him. "Don't sound so condescending, at least. I can fight!"

"You're just a kid! You're, like, 17 or something!"

"I'm 19! College age! Old enough to drive, if not drink," I protested. "'Cides, I save you from that cougar before."

"That was luck, probably. You stay behind and find some food while I clear the area." He started walking away, as if our argument was over.

"Hey! What am I, a housewife? Stay behind to cook up some food while you do all the work! Gimme that crowbar!" I shouted back at him, as I yanked it from his hands.

He went for it again, but I stepped back, holding it out of his reach. "For fuck's sake, girl. I'm just trying to keep you safe, here."

"Yeah? Well, you're being condescending and chauvanistic about it. And, frankly, I'd rather not have to patch you up late-"

BANG BANG BANG

It appeared as if our argument had aroused the neighbors.

"Now look what you did!" He shouted back at me.

"Shut up and circle around back! I'd rather not fight them in the living room!"

He looked rather pissed, but followed me as I ran out the backdoor anyway. We went around the house and came out front to find about a dozen zombies huddled next to our front door.

"Ah, shit," I heard him mutter.

"Could be worse. They coulda called the cops on us," I replied.

"Now's no time for jokes!"

"It's always time for jokes. Anyway, playtime!"

I backed into the street as he circled around to the other side of the group in an attempt to split them apart. A zombie got in range.

The sexist or ageist - shut up, that's a word now - probably figured I'd wildly flail, or turn my head away when I do a light hearted swing. Rather, I just swung the crowbar like a pinch hitter during home-run derby. There was a sickening yet satisfying crunch from its skull. It fell over like a sack of, well, decaying organs and bone.

I didn't pay attention to what he was doing; mind, but I was able to bring my crowbar down onto another one's head for a quick kill.

Two came a bit close for comfort, so I jumped back a step and smashed one of them, before quickly doing the other a similar favor.

One grabbed me from behind. Damn! I let one sneak up on me! I struggled against it's arms and away from it's mouth, pulling forward, and eventually wrenched it's arms off, spun around, and clocked it in the head for the kill. Looking around, I saw Tony finish up the last one.

"Ah, there, we go. Wasn't so hard, was it?" I said, with a grin as he stomped the undead's face in.

"Would you stay out of these fights next time?" He replied with barely-constrained anger.

"Why? Is it because I'm young? Or a girl? C'mon, it's so far into the cataclysm that if I didn't know how to fight I'd be the luckiest girl alive."

He just rolled his eyes. "Whatever then. Just try not to die."

"Aye aye," I replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaaaaand now to get back into the groove. Again, apologies for the delays. All I have to blame is my procrastination. ;-;

sovietspyder

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
YAY! TIS BACK! and in all honesty, i honestly don't care too much about the schedule of it, so long as it's not, for example, the length of the apocalpyse 6 months between uploads

Offline Soviet Troopa

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 06:22:06 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GAAAAAAAAAAAWSH
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
*joy was followed by a rather painful event where the poor victim puked up rainbows*
TheFunsizeNinja: I started with the voices. GO GO ATTACK SPHERE

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:44 AM »
I SWEAR

WRESTLING NEVER ENDS

Chapter 3: The Omnipresent Search for Food

Jenny Greene

Upon raiding every last inch of the kitchen of our chosen safe house, we managed to find a whole bag of Doritos. Cool Ranch, as well, which was my favorite. The downside was that was all we managed to find, and I wasn’t about to start eating the spoons.

Turfing the bodies of the now marginally more deceased outside didn’t turn up much of use either, and eating them was even more unappealing than eating the silverware, so that was out of the equation.

At least it was a family-sized bag.

As anyone that’s ever eaten chips before should know, you can’t just chomp down an entire bag of chips like you can with a sandwich (unless your esophagus is a vacuum), and there was (literally) nothing on TV at the time, so the two of us just sat there awkwardly munching on chips, with nary a sound sans the crunch of the delicious-yet-stale snack.

"So, did I prove myself to you yet?" I asked, trying to alleviate the awkward silence.

"What?"

"Since you kept complaining about me fighting. Did I prove I'm a good enough fighter yet?" I asked with slight, but more sarcastic, hostility.

He just shook his head. "No, that's not why. I know you can handle yourself just fine. Otherwise I wouldn't have brought you along."

"Then what's your problem with me fighting?" I replied, while munching a chip with just as much hostility. Somehow I don't think it carried the impact I wanted it to.

"I don't- Ugh, I'm not sure. Can we talk about this later?" he asked.

"Fiiiiine," I groaned. "Anyway, I call the master bedroom!" I said, noticing the bag was empty and running upstairs.

"Hey, wha- Oh, fine. I'll take the guest bed," he called after me.

-------------------------------------------

"I hate mornings..." I groaned, as I lay my head on the kitchen table.

"I hate mornings without coffee," Tony added, sitting across from me, looking just as sleepy as I felt.

"Oh, well. What's our plan for today? I'm thirsty from all those chips."

"Dig a well."

I just glared at him. "Too tired."

He chuckled. "I guess we loot the nearby houses and hope for a convenient water bottle. Or we explore the city and try to find something that's more likely to have water, since I doubt we'll find much in these houses."

"I'll go with plan two. What's our first stop? Supermarket?"

"I don't know. Guess we'll just play it by ear."

"Great plan," I responded.

"My next plan was to summon a genie, but I'm out of magic lamps," he deadpanned.

We left the house and were greeted by a sight that would've made us squeal if we were still kids in school. Unfortunately, the sight of snow now just made us wary of the future.

I didn't want to die of hypothermia when there are already zombies to deal with.

"Hey, maybe we can eat the snow!" I said.

"Yeah, because each snowflake can do a lot to quench your thirst."

"Oh, shut up. I meant when it starts to accumulate," I pouted.

Walking down the road with the snow falling was actually kind of peaceful. That is, until we got a few blocks down and noticed some undead milling about.

We were still in the residential area, and didn't want to risk a fight, even if we felt confident we could take them on. We went behind a house and started going through the backyards, over the fences.

Eventually we got more towards the center of the city, which had more houses, buildings, and shops. And with those, more zombies, which were getting harder to sneak around due to less backyards.

My nose itched, and while I tried to hold it in, I ended up failing, and sneezed. Thankfully, I had dainty, girly sneezes so I didn't attract anything except a quiet chuckle from Tony.

After we snuck around a particularly vicious-looking undead that had some kind of icky green bubbly fluid coming out of its mouth, we duck into a cornerstore, hoping to find something.

Unfortunately, all we managed to find was the deceased cashier, who tried to give Tony a hug. He responded in kind with his knife, and the cashier graciously accepted it with his jugular.

Even more unfortunate than the zombie attacking us, however, was that when it fell over due to being killed for the second time in its "life" it pulled the cash register down with it, making a very loud crash!

Looking through the glass windows I saw the undead out front turn their heads toward us and give chase. The nasty undead with the icky mucus actually vomited corrosive acid towards us, not noticing there was a window in the way. Too bad it managed to melt the fucking window!

"Shit, spitter! Shit!" I exclaimed, backing away from the encroaching horde towards the backdoor. I quickly shoved it open and ran through, and was greeted by an undead dog snarling at me. Just before it leaped (and I was about to play baseball with its head) Tony shot it with his handgun, now foregoing stealth entirely since we were already spotted.

I nodded my thanks as I darted down the street, my companion in tow. We ran down a street and turned left to come face to face with another group of the undead shuffling towards us. We doubled back and ran down a different street, feeling totally lost, but just in a desperate attempt to be anywhere but here.

My legs were burning and my breath was coming in short gasps, and I was about to start slowing down when I saw movement. I think I saw someone waving to us from the doorway of a house.

I quickly ran towards it and through the door, with Tony quickly coming in behind and slamming the door shut.

I now got to see our rescuing party: a man and a woman, both in their mid-twenties. The man had spikey black hair and a tribal tattoo under his right eye, and was wearing a thick, fur-lined jacket, jeans, and boots. The woman had shoulder-length blonde hair, reading glasses, and was wearing a black fur trench coat and cargo pants; which while practical, had massively clashing colors. At least my fur clothing was the uniform color of deer pelt.

While me and Tony caught our breath, the woman looked out the window. “Jesus, there’s a lot of them,” she said in an eerily calm voice.

“Nah, it’s... just a couple…” Tony muttered between breaths.

“Quick, upstairs! I have an idea,” the guy said, as he ran up the stairs. The rest of us followed suit.

He led us into the third floor attic of the house, and opened the window. Outside was a small alleyway, with the neighboring house’s window directly across, if a bit to the side.

“Think you guys can make that jump?” He asked

“And, what? Go from being stuck in one house to being stuck in another?” I asked back.

“No, see, the zombies are coming towards this house, and if we sneak into that one and out the back, we can hopefully get away quietly while they’re busy here.”

“Fair enough,” I muttered.

The gap itself looked to be about 6 feet in length. It looked possible, but not exactly easy.

The woman threw a nearby baseball that was up in the attic through the window, leaving a baseball-sized hole. Then she grabbed a broom and brushed as many of the glass fragments out of the way as she could.

“I’ll go first,” she said simply, still sounding too calm for the situation. I applauded her bravery.

She climbed out through the window and spun around so that she was hanging off the edge on the outside, before jumping back and turning, grabbing the other windowsill. She made it, and climbed in. She grimaced a bit as she looked at her hands; apparently she didn’t get all the glass out.

“That was some serious fucking parkour shit right there,” Tony muttered. “Fuck it, I’ll go next.”

As he started to clamber his way through the first window, the collective groaning of the zombie horde we were outrunning started growing louder. I started to here the downstairs door being attacked, as well, the banging reverberating throughout the house.

Rather than drop down and hang, Tony just tried jumping from the windowsill, an awkward position to be sure, but he ended up making it as well.

“You wanna go next?” the man asked me.

To be honest, I was still trying to get my courage up. “Uh, no, that’s fine.”

“Alright,” he said, as he did almost exactly what Anthony had down.

As he jumped, though, I heard the sound of the door downstairs crashing. It was now or never.

I gulped nervously, a harsh reminder of my own thirst, and climbed through the window. I dropped down, mimicking the other woman’s way of going across, and hung there awkwardly for a moment, before I could get my footing on the wall. I heard the sounds of the undead coming from inside the house now, and I absolutely refused to look down.

I took a deep breath, and shoved off. Instantly, I felt a rush of terror as my foot slipped at the last minute, and that I wouldn’t make it to the window.

I reached out, and felt my wrist be grabbed. The momentum made me collide with the wall painfully, but I held on. I looked up to see Tony leaning out of the window, holding onto me.

I struggled to pull myself up as he pulled, and eventually I reached the windowsill, and was able to pull myself through.

Tony and I were both panting, and I noticed Tony was bleeding a bit from his chest.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah, just a bit of glass; I’ll be fine,” he muttered. As far as I could tell, he was right. There wasn’t much blood at all.

“Alright, ready to get going?” the other man said. We nodded, and followed him out.

--------------------------------------------------

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:50 AM »
Anthony Korb

After a half hour of silent walking and sneaking through the backyards our group of four ended up back at the house we essentially designated as our base of operations; 124 Pine Grove.

We didn’t talk at all on the way back for fear of being heard by roving cadavers, but now that we were here, we felt a bit safer with it.

“So, thanks for saving us,” Jenny said to the other duo once we got back. I sat down on the living room couch, exhausted. Meanwhile, the three of them congregated in the kitchen, which was right nearby and open to the living room, so I could stay in the conversation.

“No problem,” the man said, as he laid his messenger bag on the table. “We’re just glad to find some survivors.”

“Eh, we found quite a few before,” Jenny said, in her usual cheery tone.

“Oh? Where are they?” he asked.

“Half of them are dead, the other half were slavers. Who are also now dead.” The fact that she kept her cheery tone for this, like she was just making a flippant remark, unsettled me a bit.

“…Oh. Uh, well, I suppose introductions are in order. I’m Michael, and this is an emotionless doll I found,” he said, waving towards his friend.

“Ha ha,” she responded unamused. “My name’s Elisabeth, and I do happen to have emotions, thank you very much,” she said in a deadpan voice as she adjusted her glasses, not really lending much credence to her statement.

“Suuuure you do, Liz. You show them off less than you show me your breasts.”

“I’ve never shown you my breasts,” Elisabeth replied. She didn’t blush, didn’t sound angry, nothing. I’d hate to play Poker with her.

“My point exactly.”

Jenny chuckled a bit at their exchange. “I’m Jennifer, nice to meet you.” she stuck out her hand to shake.

They shook hands. “Jennifer, huh? That’s a pretty name,” he replied.

I noticed Jenny blushed a bit. “Uh, thanks, but I don’t go that way.” Oh?

“Huh?”

“Er, men. I don’t go for men. Just, uh, letting you know.”

“Oh, uh, right. Sorry.” He awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

“You’re a lesbian?” I asked.

“No, I’m a necrophiliac,” She responded, with lighthearted sarcasm. I just chuckled.

“Well, my name’s Anthony,” I said, getting off the couch and shaking Michael’s hand. “Not to sound needy, but do you guys have any water? My throat is dying.”

“Oh, yeah, just one sec- Ow!” He yelped as a water bottle hit him square in the head. I turned to where it came from and saw Elizabeth sitting there, nonchalantly reading a book next to Mike’s open bag.

“Was that for the boob comment?” Mike asked.

“Yes.”

The four of us then sat down at the kitchen table together. Mike brought out a few cans of food, explaining that he had just recently found a pretty good stash of water and food out of luck. It was just in someone’s basement; presumably a survivalist shelter or something.

It felt surprisingly normal, sort of like having a family dinner, except with cold canned food and random strangers instead of a home-cooked meal and annoying siblings.

“So, for curiosity’s sake, what weapons you guys have?” I asked.

“We don’t have much; we tend to travel light so we have more room for food. I have an old lead pipe and she has a hunting knife.” They pulled out their weapons and laid them on the table.

Just for comparison’s sake, I put my knife next to Elisabeth’s. Hers was longer by half an inch.

“Well, I have this knife and my handgun. She has a crowbar and some fancy crossbow that can be folded into the size of a brick,” I explained.

“Cool. I’m not much for fighting, though,” he said. “I prefer to avoid them.”

“Aw, buth thash no fun!” Jen said, mouth full of food.

“Less dangerous, though,” Elisabeth replied, with better table manners. “I’d rather live bored than be a fun zombie.”

“Heh, you just put the image of a new type of a zombie in my head,” Jenny replied. “The ‘fun zombie.’ It goes around with balloons and causes parties.”

I snickered. “Except they only do that during the evening. All the rest of the time they’re either asleep or hungover.”

“How would you be able to tell the difference between a regular zombie and a hungover one?” Mike asked.

“By the smell of liquor on their breath, obviously,” deadpanned Elisabeth. So she did have a sense of humor.

“Yeah, have fun getting that close to a zombies mouth while keeping your own nose intact,” I smarmed back.

“They’ll be all, ‘Got your nose!’ and you’ll be like ‘GAH FUCK MY NOSE WAS BITTEN OFF!’” Jenny said, with elaborate gestures acting out someone who had indeed had their nose bitten off.

We all chuckled at this, even Elisabeth, for a change. Sometimes it was nice to be able to sit back and relax, instead of always being uptight and tense due to hungry things trying to eat living things.

“So, not to sound rude, but you guys are very willing to share your supplies,” I said.

“You wouldn’t?” Mike replied.

“Uh… Probably not, especially since food is so hard to come by nowadays,” I replied honestly.

“Pbbbft, well excuse me for having a conscience,” he said. “It’s just we had the extra food. We probably have enough for at least a week or two, even with you guys.”

“How much food do you have in that bag?” Jenny asked.

“We don’t keep it all in the bag, ya doof. We travel around from town to town by way of van. We have it parked over on the other side of town.”

I looked at him incredulously. “That doesn’t do us a whole lot of good, not, ya know, being on the other side of town.

“Relax, we can get to it easily,” he replied. “It’s just that we only recently got to this town, and wanted to loot it thoroughly before leaving. ‘Cides, it’s safe. What, are you afraid a zombie will carjack us?”

“Oh, yeah,” Jenny said. “Those zombies have been playing lots of GTA 5 recently. Don’t know what they’ll do.”

He chuckled. “Well, fuck then. I’m now expecting a zombie to just hijack a plane and ram us with it for giggles, then.”

“I am totally lost here,” I said.

“What, never played GTA 5?” Jenny asked.

“No?”

“Pbbbft. You’re boring. What did you do in your free time?”

I scoffed. “I slept. I was one of those people too busy for free time. What’d you do aside from ram planes into things?”

“I liked to play videogames, read manga, watch anime, and occasionally write terrible fanfiction.”

“Oh, god,” Mike chuckled. “I bet it was like erotic slash-fic stuff that you wrote, wasn’t it?”

“I can neither confirm nor deny this. But yes,” Jenny replied. Mike just burst out laughing.

“The confused old guy is still here, and still confused,” I butted in.

“Er, it’s an internet thing. She liked to write stories in or about the universe and characters within a particular work. Fanfiction being fiction by the fans, and all,” Mike helpfully explained to me.

“Okay then… What’s this slash stuff?”

“In other words, her fanfiction was porn.”

“Very well-written porn!” Jenny interjected.

“Uh…” I wasn’t sure how to respond to that. “Alrighty then. Mind if I change the subject?”

“Sure.”

“So, how’d you two meet?” I asked.

“Oh, she was locked in the highest room of a castle, and I rode in on my horse, and laid siege to the castl-“

“Okay, sir Lancelot. What actually happened?” I asked, wanting to get to the point.

He just looked at me like I was a boring old guy spoiling his fun. “I met her a month ago while travelling around in my Mystery Van. She was on the side of the road, I offered her a ride, and then a blossoming relationship formed, though it has yet to lead to the sex I thought it would.”

“The sex that you’ll never get,” Elisabeth replied.

“Ouch, that’s harsh.”

“Is she at least straight?” Jenny asked. “So you know you’re not at least barking up the wrong tree?”

“I never asked, but I assume so. She doesn’t flirt with anyone, though.”

“I’m just an enigma like that,” replied Elisabeth. “I also like how you can turn any conversation into one about sex.”

“That’s because sex is fun,” Mike replied.

“I second that,” Jenny added.

“I concur,” I said, because why the fuck not.

“See? Even the old guy agrees,” Mike said. Elisabeth just rolled her eyes.

“So, before you all have an orgy behind my back, how’d you two meet?” She asked, directing the question back at us.

“I’m his wife from before the cataclysm,” Jenny said before I could say anything.

“Wouldn’t that mean I’m a girl?” I asked.

“A very manly girl,” she replied.

“Uh-huh. The reality is, we both escaped from a slaver den together, and just sorta happened to stay together simply because of carpooling.”

“Oh? How recent was this?” Mike asked.

“Yesterday, I believe.”

“Oh, wow. So you two don’t really know each other?”

“Not a whole lot,” Jenny said. “Except that he’s surprisingly over-protective or something, since he really didn’t want me to fight any undead at all.”

I shrugged. “I’m an overbearing old man, what can I say?”

“You’re, like, 30-something. That’s not very old.”

“I’m actually 46,” I replied.

Jenny nearly choked on her food. “Holy fuck! You don’t look near that!”

I shrugged again. “Good genes, I suppose.”

“So, how’d you guys escape the slaver den?” Mike asked.

“There was a massive riot and the prisoners out-numbered the guards, and we sorta just left,” I replied.

I noticed something odd then. Jenny looked rather sad.

“Hey, you okay?” I asked her.

“Hm? Oh, just remembering something from the escape. Forget it.”

The fact that her usual cheery demeanor had vanished so quickly for that instant made me realize that it must’ve been something big. Probably had a friend that died or something. Poor girl.

“Well, uh, do you think that there are still survivors there?” Mike asked, bringing the topic back on track.

“Oh, uh, yeah. I believe they said that they were trying to start a settlement there, but we both left since we didn’t think it’d last.”

Both of our new friends looked to each other. “You have to take us there!” Mike said at last, excitedly.

“Uh, okay, if you want,” I replied. “Just make sure to guard the van so someone doesn’t actually carja-“

“No!” I heard Jenny shout. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

“What? Why?” Mike asked.

“No, I’m not going!” Jenny repeated herself.

“Hey, calm down, Jenny!” I replied. “Why aren’t you going?”

“Because I fucking… Because my gi-… Maria-…” She tried to speak in between sobs. She eventually just broke down and started crying into the table.

“Maria? Maria who?” I asked, trying to be gentle.

She lifted her head off the table. “Maria. She was my girlfriend, and after the revolt I found her dead. Just lying there, with a bullet in her head,” she replied, bitterly. “I don’t want to go back and see her dead body again, I just can’t.”

“Hey, they probably cleaned it up. And you can wait in the car or something. I didn’t plan on staying there, either,” Mike said. “I just need you to lead us there.”

Jenny blew her nose on a tissue and wiped the tears off her face, trying to calm down. “…Okay, fine, we’ll take you there. But I’m not staying.”

“Thank you. We just want to go to see if they have any supplies to trade, since I share your concerns that it won’t last too long,” he said. “Anyway, it’s getting late; let’s head to bed, and then go get my van tomorrow, alright?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suppose I needed to put a chapter up, seeing as I am a month behind. On the plus side, you guys are the most patient viewers anyone can ever ask for, so thanks for putting up with the infinite delays.

On the plus side, wrestling ends in a few weeks. Yay! And then track starts. Boo! But at least Track has shorter and easier practices, so yay again! I might actually get some writing done!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:14:20 AM by jumjummju »

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 03:22:02 AM »
My god Jumi. That is a lot of writing. Which was amazing as always, Jumi!

Also, a writer doing sports? Never heard of that before.
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

sovietspyder

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
Wonderful work! Simply Wonderful!

Offline Nighthawk

• Survivor
  • Fear the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
a writer doing sports? Never heard of that before.
Professional writers doing sports is unheard of, but for those of us who write in our free time, other activities aren't uncommon. I also play tennis, for instance.

I suppose if I was a uber-dedicated writer, I would write 24/7, but unfortunately, even something as fun as writing a story can get a little tiring after a long while. :P

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »
My god Jumi. That is a lot of writing. Which was amazing as always, Jumi!

Also, a writer doing sports? Never heard of that before.
Well, yeah, it's not like I'm some novelist who gets paid for this who also does professional baseball. I'm just a hobby writer that also does school Wrestling/Track/Cross Country because I hate doing any kind of physical activity but not as much as I love torturing myself. (There's also being in shape, but that's not as appealing as the sheer masochism of it all.)

Anyway, thanks for the praises, guys! I'll make sure not to disappear off the face of the map again. Hopefully it won't take another celestial alignment of the planets for me to write the next chapter.