Author Topic: Adventures in a Fallen World (Finally updated! Chapter 13!)  (Read 23633 times)

Offline sgtdragonfire

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
    • steam
Re: Adventures in a Fallen World (Chapter 11: Cabin Fever)
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
I dont care If I come back here in 20 years and then wait 3 months for another chapter, I'm happy as long as they get out AT ALL.
P.S. I still dont forgive you for Kevin
Tactical shocker brute bait=me

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in a Fallen World (Chapter 11: Cabin Fever)
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »
Shorter one again, but hopefully it makes up for that. Let's get some Eve time in here, eh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 12: Snow Days part 1

Eve Alderman

Crack!

The chunk of log was halfway to being partially split in two.

Crack!

The axe embedded itself into the stump the firewood was resting on. I’m not cut out to be a lumberjack. I rubbed my nose to try and stave away the bitter cold before taking another swing.

Crack!

Success! The firewood was now split in two! I only had... a lot more to go.

I exhaled, my small physique not being the best for manual labor. To be fair, I had actually volunteered to do this, partially out of having had nothing to do for the better part of a week and because I had just felt rather useless as of late.

The snow had stopped falling a few days ago, but it hasn’t started melting either and the van still refused to budge an inch. At least we managed to have a decent stockpile of food, however I still felt hungry since we were rationing as best we could.

I managed to cut up another piece of firewood before my aching arms decided that physical labor wasn’t suited for someone my size. I grabbed my piddling four halves of firewood and carried them back into the house.

“...A baboon playing a flute!” were the first words I heard upon entering the house from none other than Mike. Jenny and Anthony burst out into a very animate laugh, and I was left wondering what the hell kind of joke would have a punchline like that.

“I’m back.” I dropped my wood over by the fire pit, the fire within blazing rather averagely, casting an orange glow over the rest of the room.

Mike turned around in his chair. “You were gone for two minutes, Eve.”

“I was getting tired!”

Two minutes!

I stuck my tongue out at him as I sat down on the sofa, the only available seat, which unfortunately was right next to him. Tony was sitting in a recliner, which he had also claimed as his bed due to the lack of available bedrooms, while Maria was sitting next to Jenny in the other sofa, reading a book of some sort, entirely disinterested in the conversation.

Tony reached down beside him and grabbed a large, yet flat, rectangular box. “Now that you’re back, want to start a game?”

“Another one?” I groaned, watching him place the Monopoly board onto the coffee table. One of the benefits of camping out in a literal campground was that the main building had a plethora of board games that we brought back to this cabin. We even took the ping-pong table, which was currently sitting in the corner of the living room, near the food. Jenny and Mike still bicker about which one’s better at it.

“I call the top hat,” Mike said, ignoring my protests.

------------------------------------------------------

Not even half an hour later and my thimble was rendered bankrupt on accounts of Mike’s growing empire. Jenny’s shoe piece was looking like it was in a bit of a bind as well, as it was roughly 7 pieces back from Boardwalk, which Mike of course laid down some houses on. Past that, though, the entire cheap side of the board right after “GO!” was owned by Jenny, who figured that buying the cheap stuff up would be the best strategy whereas Mike went for the expensive properties. Tony, meanwhile, was surveying his land from the insides of the prison, not even bothering to intentionally leave as he sat by and hoped Mike would land on the oranges or reds and give him some of that rent money.

Jenny looked tense, knowing full well that this roll would determine whether she’d sink or swim. She shook the dice dramatically in her hands and threw them on the table...

A three and a four.

“No!” Jenny shouted over-dramatically. She watched with horror as her show went straight on to Boardwalk. Mike maliciously rubbed his hands together, knowing full well that Jenny would have to sell a lot to gain what she’d lose back.

Mike rubbed his hands together with a maniacal look on his face. “That’ll be thirteen hundred and fifty dollars, please.”

Jenny shook her fist dramatically. “Robbery! This is highway robbery!”

"I believe that's bankrupted you?" he replied.

"Not so fast!" she shouted, "if I mortgage everything, I'll have... twelve-hundred dollars. Fuck."

"More for Mike inc., then!" He proceeded to grab everything of Jenny's and move it to his side of the board. Meanwhile, Tony took the dice and got ready to roll.

I yawned; it was getting late. "I'm heading on up to bed, good night."

The rest of the group replied with a token "good night" of their own as I made my way to the bedroom I had picked for myself.

Having nothing to do, I fell asleep rather quickly. I was awoken, however, by an odd screeching noise coming from outside my window.

I grabbed my handgun off of the nightstand and opened the blinds. I only caught a glimpse of what looked like a bird claw as large as a dog before it crashed through the entire window, not just one pane, and grabbed me by the chest, pulling me out through the large opening it created. I felt a shard of glass from the window slice open a large gash on my thigh as I was pulled out.

I was then in freefall for half a second before the creature regrabbed me around the wrists, holding me up by my hands as I dangled in front of it, now several stories off the ground. In the dark, I managed to only make out what appeared to be a strange bat-like creature with large eyes and teeth, but the rest of it's body almost appeared to change before my eyes! The large, hunting horror brought it's face close to mine and let out an ear-piercingly loud unearthly roar, spraying saliva at me.

I panicked, screamed, and clenched my fists, accidentally discharging the gun. The creature flinched from the gunshot, being so close to it's ears, and let go of my wrists. I reached out for something to grab and dropped the gun, but caught on to what I assumed was it's ankle. The thing roared and flew around spasmodically trying to shake me off, and I felt it's other foot claw at me, digging cuts into my hands. I clenched on with everything I had.

I looked down again and saw the cabin about two cabin's-worth below me, and amidst the panic I managed to realise that if I just hung there, I'd eventually just drop. So, I did the only thing I could think of.

I swung myself around, still hanging on the leg, unbalancing the creature, before using my momentum to bring my hands up higher on it's leg. I climbed up more, and it started clawing at me with it's hands (which, noticeably, were seperate from it's wings) and I grabbed it by the wrist. Latching onto it's right side, it started to swerve, having trouble keeping it's balance, and I swung myself up again, trying to ignore the pain of its claws, and managed to grab what I guessed to be its ear next. Without stopping, I wrapped my legs aroudn its torso and fished my knife out of it's holster with my free hand, thankful that I never put it away, and rammed the knife into it's face. It clawed out frantically again, catching me near the eye, and I pulled my knife out and shoved it back in again, twisting it. The creature shrieked, somehow not dead, but now plummeting out of the sky, flapping it's wings desperately but not in a way that was controlled enough to keep us aloft.

We both crashed into the roof of the cabin, and bounced apart from each other. The wind was knocked out of me, and I felt myself sliding towards the edge. I couldn't find a handhold and the snow didn't stop me, and I found myself sailing over the edge.

A two-story drop wasn't deadly, especially not onto grass covered in a foot of snow, but it hurt, and I felt something crack in my chest. I tried standing, but fell back over as pain erupted everywhere.

I looked over and saw the creature befell the same fate I did, unable to get it's bearings and return to flight, except it managed to land headfirst into the ground. I heard a satisfying crunch as what I assumed was it's neck broke.

The rest of the group just now came outside. "What the hell was that!?" Tony shouted, arriving first, before he saw the corpse of the thing that attacked me. The rest followed him out shortly, and we watched in surprise as whatever it was melted before our eyes, dissolving into the earth.

---------------------------------------

"Ow my everything," I groaned, as Jenny was in the midst of bandaging my chest.

"Next time, don't try to wrestle a monster straight from one of Lovecraft's books 5-stories off the ground, eh?" Mike replied, with a grin.

"First a flying, flaming eyeball and now whatever this was attacks us. I'm starting to be worried we'll need to fight Cthulhu himself soon," Tony said, pacing around the room relentlessly.

"Reminds me of last Tuesday," Maria remarked, actually deciding to say something for once, even if it was just sarcasm.

"Wait, what flaming eyeball?" I asked.

Jenny snickered. "Oh yeah, that. Me and Tony got attacked by one when we were luring the zombies away before. Thing blinded the poor guy and nearly melted his face off."

"And then you dealt with it the way you deal with all of your problems," Tony replied. "Hitting it to death with a crowbar."

Jenny just shrugged. "There's not a lot of problems I can't solve without a crowbar."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crowbars are the duct tape of the post-apocalyptic world.
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline Cataclysmic Days Await

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in a Fallen World (Chapter 12: Snow Days part 1)
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey JJ, Where'd you run off to? Because if you're hiding in your giant rolling death-wagon, I wanna join you!

:D
-CDW, your friendly idiot/nerd/horrible writer combo :)

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »
Hey JJ, Where'd you run off to? Because if you're hiding in your giant rolling death-wagon, I wanna join you!

:D
I'm hiding in the world of Bloodborne, which has eaten absolutely all of my free time.

I'd love to write! But I love playing Bloodborne more! :D
Previously dead fanfic writer, crawling out of the grave to deliver top-tier awful books.

Offline Cataclysmic Days Await

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
Woah. You've been playing Bloodborne for a while. Are you sure you're okay?
-CDW, your friendly idiot/nerd/horrible writer combo :)

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2016, 04:25:46 AM »
Woah. You've been playing Bloodborne for a while. Are you sure you're okay?

lmao ressurection
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2016, 04:42:16 AM »
I'm dangerously tempted to write up a sorta tribute story for this and GotA. And both of Jakers' stories as well.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
What the frickity frack flim flam is goin' on, guys?

Hi hello, it's me, that guy that wrote all this malarkey before vanishing into thin air (or more accurately, real life and video games).

Heh, funny story, actually. I had the urge to play C:DDA again, but since I just got a new computer, I had to come here to redownload the game. Lo and behold my surprise when I find I had a forum message. It was a message sent very (comparatively) recently, from just January, talking about how people are still reading my stories, and how it even inspired him to write a small one-off.

This sent an absolute tidal wave of emotions through me. Elation at someone actually liking and remembering my work, even after 2 whole years. Guilt at having left the story hanging how I did. Nostalgia at remembering all the good times and fun I had writing the story. Embarrassed groaning at the terrible quality of my past work, in my eyes.

It's been a while. A long, long while. And yet, this story still affects me to this day. As I'm now a budding novelist (that is to say, still very heavily procrastinating working on an actual novel) the whole story of Alone and Adventures in a Fallen World was a huge part of my life, even if it only lasted 2 years. 4 years ago, on April of 2013 at the ripe age of 16 I started the story, and over the last 2 years I made this ridiculously large story with varying levels of self-satisfaction, until I stopped on March of 2015.

To avoid mincing words, the whole catalyst for me stopping was the rape scene, of all things. In retrospect, I probably handled it as best as possible for a teenage boy, but I felt like I compromised my own integrity, or that I had reached a "new low" of writing, and I wasn't able to bring myself to write again. Not for a while.

Fast forward 2 years and I've managed to find some actual self-confidence. Both in general, and in my writing. My writing style has changed a lot, even if I have very little to actively show for it. I'm now no longer a highschool student writing in his study halls while ignoring his homework, now I'm an adult. Legally. I still have the maturity of a 16 year old, but I can buy cigarettes if I wanted so, huzzah.

But, looking back on this whole story makes me feel a sense of longing. I feel as though I abandoned a child of mine while they were still growing. A sense of a duty, unfulfilled. Various other metaphors. I almost feel like... I want to return. To finish what I started years ago.

So, I pose a question. Would anyone even want me to continue this? Resurrecting a dead story from the grave and continuing from where I left off, mostly. Continuing, and concluding (hopefully less suddenly than the original story) the stories of Maria, of Jenny, Eve, Tony.

Even if I did continue this, it might be a bit before I posted a new chapter. If I did, I'd like to believe I'd have the resolve to see this story through to its bitter end, no matter how bad I feel about my writing. But I'd still have to reacquaint myself with the story. Re-reading the whole thing might take a bit(jesus fucking christmas cakes why did i write so much D:).

So I leave it up to you. Whoever is still here, reading these. Do I let this story stay dead, do you not trust me to continue writing this, or should I try to reignite an old flame?

Offline SpeedDaemon

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
I've written here, too, and I have similar feelings. Even though I "finished" what I was writing, it still feels like there was so much more left to Claire's story, and it's been bugging the heck out of me for two years now.

I think you should continue, both because your stories are some of the best here (IMO), and because you'll never rest otherwise. :)

(On a somewhat unrelated note, I keep feeling like this forum needs a table of contents, or something, for some of the more extensive works, so they don't get buried.)

Offline A Blitzkried of Butts

• Survivor
  • <i>kek</i>
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes soooooo much yes.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Quote from: pisskop
Z is the plane that jumps off the paper and into your face/desk
Full of sigs

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:03 AM »
Ohmygodholyshitholyshitfuckwhatwhat'shappeningohmygosh. Hey, Jum! Dude. Seeing your username again sent a similar tidal wave of emotions through me just now, heh. I made an account on this forum in the first place because I was reading your stories and wanted to compliment you back when I was like just discovering the internet outside of Youtube in general. You basically inspired me to actually start writing, which I myself am still trying to improve on at a similar age to you when you started this, heh.

If you'd wanna revive this, I'd say go on ahead, man. I love your work, and I love these characters. I'll be sure to read the hell out of it!
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline jumjummju

• Survivor
  • The Resident Bucket
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
OH WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT THE FORUMS ARE BACK UP

I CAN ACTUALLY POST THIS DAMN THING

No but seriously, I was legitimately IN THE PROCESS OF POSTING THE CHAPTER when the forums went down. I think I must've heralded the apocalypse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Long Awaited Chapter 13: Snow Days part 2

How long?

The answer was easy. Four weeks. My phone said as much.

Four weeks stuck in this cabin.

Four weeks of nothing.

I remember a quote. "There is something more terrible than a hell of suffering -- a hell of boredom."

I had always found it amusing. A joke. I didn't think that it could possibly be serious.

I was starting to.

It wasn't the boredom that caused a problem. It was relaxing, after all we'd been through. All that I've been through.

But it gave you time to think.

To think about what happened. About things to come. About past sins, trauma. Memories, both bad and good. About relationships. About silly, useless things. Politics. The weather. Sports.

And when you started to think, you couldn't stop. Thinking things that shouldn't be thought. Making thoughts up that aren't true, then thinking about them until they become true.

They all hate me.

It was obvious, wasn't it? It had to be. Sure, they never kicked me out. Didn't kill me yet. But no matter how much I could logically reason they don't, the thought had stuck.

I knew it wasn't true though. They didn't hate me.

I had only killed people. Enslaved them. Done horrible things just to survive. Had horrible things done to me.

They had to hate me.

I rolled over on the couch. Maybe staring at the far wall instead of the ceiling would give me some new insight.

More thoughts. Thoughts about what the point was.

Everything went wrong. It always went wrong. People died.

I died. But I didn't stay dead.

I groaned as I sat up. I grabbed my head and shouted in frustration, in anger.

Footsteps. Coming down the stairs.

"Maria!?" she said. "What's wrong?"

Jenny, in a flowery nightgown, rushed over to me. She kneeled in front of me and gently grabbed my face with her scaly hands. She brought my face to look at her in her reptilian eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked. A concerned frown.

She had to be mocking me, right?

I pushed her hands away and stood up. "Why do you care?" I said, as I grabbed my coat and walked towards the door.

"Wha-" Jenny stood there stunned, before grabbing my arm and making me face her again. "What's that supposed to mean?" she asked, but not with annoyance or malice, just more concern.

I grimaced and sighed. "Sorry. Being stuck in here's just been getting to me. I need some air."

"Oh, alright. Wait right here, I'll get some clothes on," she said and started off towards the stairs.

"Huh?"

She flashed a smile at me. "You didn't think I was gonna let you go alone, did you? Wait just a second."

I grinned in spite of myself. It wasn't all bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"F-f-f-fuck!"

"'Fuck' what?" I asked.

"F-f-f-fuck it's cold!" said Mike, hugging himself for warmth even in his thick coat.

I stomped along through the knee-deep snow. "No shit."

"Shut it, you'll scare off the deer," said Tony, his eyes scanning the forest.

"What deer!? I haven't seen any at all!"

"Because you two won't shut up!"

The three of us trekked on through a serene, snow-covered forest. The leafless trees let plenty of sunlight through. We marched in silence; Tony carrying the crossbow, Mike with the double-barrel and me with... a knife. I didn't have the best track record with guns. I still came along because, as they put it, they "needed another spotter." Though I was fairly certain they just wanted me to help carry back whatever we caught.

We reached a clearing and set up some folding chairs we brought along, and started waiting. And waiting. And waiting. No wildlife in sight.

I was leaning so far back in my chair that I dozed off, only to suddenly wake up having fallen into the snow. I flailed around a bit before I could right myself and get back onto my chair, now colder than before, as both of my companions laughed at me. "I hate hunting," I grumbled.

Hours passed. The sun moved along the sky, doing little to warm us up, until it fell behind the trees and dusk came.

With a weary, resigned sigh, Tony packed up his camping chair and slung it over his shoulder. "Maybe tomorrow, then."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Still nothing?"

Tony shook his head as he hung his coat up and shook the snow off his boots.

"It's been three days since we last caught that deer," I said. "We're low on food."

"I know, Jenny." Tony sat down with Mike and Eve in front of the fire, trying to warm up.

"Hey," Mike said. "Turn on the radio again, I want to see if they're still broadcasting."

I leaned over and flicked the "on" button for a battery-powered radio we had brought in and left on our table.

"...alling all survivors. Calling all survivors. This is a military broadcast from Charleston. We are offering shelter to any who still remain. We have food, safety, and empty beds for anyone willing to join. Either come to our gate or radio us back..."

"What a load of shit," said Maria over the broadcast, lazily resting her head in her hand.

"It makes you wonder, though. Could the military still be around?"

"We've been over this before, Mike," said Tony. "It's been too long since it started, and they've been completely silent until now."

"Maybe they were just in an underground shelter until now?"

"Or," I said. "They're probably just raiders trying to get some idiot to walk up and 'give' them free supplies."

"Or they're slavers," Maria added.

"Cannibals, maybe?"

"Genetically-mutated cannibal slavers. It's always slavers. I should know," she said with a chuckle. No one else laughed.

"But we have to do something!" said Eve. "We don't have much to lose at this point."

Maria gave them a dark stare. "Except our virginity. Oh, wait, too late for that, huh?"

Eve brought her hand to her mouth and looked like she was going to throw up, while Tony and Mike just looked aghast.

"Jesus Christ, Maria," I said. "Don't even joke about that!"

She gave me a dismissive wave. "You get what I'm saying though, right? We haven't had good luck with anyone in the past, and we're not about to now. We're better off on our own."

Eve glared back at her. "When'd you become such a bitch?"

Maria looked back at her coolly. "Why are you such a naive idiot?"

"Hey, hey, come on, now," Mike said, placing himself in between the two. Eve just huffed and ran off upstairs.

"What the hell was that for?" Tony shouted at Maria.

"Chill, Tony," I replied. "She's been through a lot, give her a break."

"I don't give a shit what she's been through! She doesn't have to be such an asshole like that!"

"Fuck off, Tony," said Maria, staring down at the table, hiding her expression.

"Just stop! All of you!" Mike threw his hands up in frustration. "Just... Come on, Tony. Let's just go upstairs before we start throwing punches? Please?"

The two walked off, with Tony mumbling something under his breath and Mike just sighing.

"...That was a bit harsh though, don't you think?" I asked Maria after they left, who just shrugged.

"Maybe. Those two are going to get the rest of us killed, though. I can't believe they'd be so trusting after everything."

"Some of us still have some hope, I guess. We can't all be depressed cynics."

Maria laughed. "Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right."

"And, truth be told..." I scooted my chair next to hers and put my arm around her shoulder, the brown scales blending in with her hair. "Your constant cynicism is getting a bit... heavy."

She leaned her head into me and frowned. "Hm. Sorry..."

We sat in silence for a few minutes, before she spoke up again.

"Do you think we should believe those guys on the radio?"

"I... I don't know."

The moonlight glistened off the snow as I trudged forwards, towards the entrance of the campground.

There was a two-way radio in the reception building. One meant for use on long hiking trips, battery-powered and all. I remembered seeing it in a back room when I was scouting for supplies. It was time to make a decision.

I opened the door and walked in, thankful for the relief from the wind. I flicked on my flashlight and opened the door to the back room, sat at the desk, turned on the radio, and tuned in to the frequency on the broadcast.

"Hello, this is Anthony Korb, calling from a campground..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline A Blitzkried of Butts

• Survivor
  • <i>kek</i>
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in a Fallen World (Finally updated! Chapter 13!)
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
Yesssssss!!! The story continues!
Quote from: TheFlame52
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Quote from: pisskop
Z is the plane that jumps off the paper and into your face/desk
Full of sigs