Author Topic: ~Community Cooking Corner~  (Read 7817 times)

Online Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: ~Community Cooking Corner~
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
Some lazy fried rice;

Cook rice.
Get some butter, put in on a bowl, add some soy sauce. Melt the butter, mix the butter and soy sauce together.
Put that cooked rice on a pan, no oil needed.
Pour the butter and soy sauce mix on the rice. Cook the rice on the pan for a bit.
Voila.
Eat as is, with a side dish, or turn it into rice balls.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 06:24:28 AM »
Kobolds BBQ sauz

1 big bottle of HFCS free ketchup

1 big bottle of Worcestershire

1/2 an onion minced

8 thick strips of bacon minced

1 whole bulb of garlic minced

3 tablespoons of molasses

3 tablespoons of chili powder

3 table spoons of paprika

1 tablespoon of cumin

cayenne pepper to preference of heat 1 teaspoon at least

salt and pepper to taste

Mix all wet ingredients together then add seasoning. Bring to a quick boil then turn to low and simmer till it is the thickness you desire. Meanwhile pan fry the bacon, when it is almost crisp add the onions, till they turn just barely caramelized, add the garlic and continue till the garlic is caramelized. Add this mixture to the simmering sauce mix and continue simmering till it is the thickness desired. Leave it chunky or puree till smooth as preferred. Chill the sauce and enjoy on your favorite foods.

If it doesn't fit back into the ketchup bottle then its not simmered down enough.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:26:41 AM by TheKobold »

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »
Kobolds Pork, Peppers, and Pasta

1lb hamburger

1lb sausage

2 green bell peppers chopped

1 red bell pepper chopped

1 yellow bell pepper chopped

1 red onion chopped

1 bulb of garlic minced

1lb package of tri-colored spiral noodles

8oz. pepper jack

8oz. sharp cheddar

8oz. colbyjack

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon chilipowder

Salt and pepper to taste

Start a pot of water for the noodles. Brown the meats together with the seasonings, when its mostly browned add the chopped veges and cook till they are soft, then add the garlic and continue cooking till the garlic is finished, drain off the fat. While the meat and veges are cooking start the noodles. Shred or cube the cheese. When the noodles are done drain them. Mix the noodles, meat and veges together, then add the cheese and mix till its uniform.

Feeds a lot of people with left overs usually...

Offline §k

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
Meat Broth:

Boil a small chunk of frozen meat in water until it's half-cooked and then take it out. Discard the froth.

Chop some tomatoes and put them in the boiling water.

Mince the meat and mix it with egg, pepper, and soy sauce, in a bowl.

Put the mixture in the water until it's thoroughly cooked.

Add some salt in the broth.

Veggie Broth:

Boil chopped carrot, chopped tomato, and minced onion in water, until the liquid is not very clear.

Add some salt in the broth.

The veggie broth has a trace of flavor of dried plum.

Offline Zorbeltuss

• Zombie Food
  • Too human to human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »
The pipe smokers liqueur.

Take some cinnamon, cinnamon sticks not powdered cinnamon, roughly 4-6 inches total and put it in a temporary container, preferably an air-tight  glass jar (you won't get them out of a glass bottle).
Add one stick of vanilla too.
Take some pre-frozen fresh habaneroes, I go with three but others might be less insane than me, crush them, chop them and add them, seeds are optional.
Grate about two to three inches of fresh ginger, squeeze the juice as well as you can into the jar and save the grated ginger.
Mix the grated ginger into about a cup of sugar or equivalent high quality sugar product (maple syrup, cane sugar or honey works well, High fructose corn syrup or sugar replacements to be avoided).
Pour the sugar in and stir well.
Top up with 3-4 cups of high quality vodka (or barring that, low quality vodka filtered through activated charcoal).
Seal up, store it dark but warm for about 3-4 weeks with the occasional shake.
Taste to see when ready, if the ginger is too mild, put it in a freezer for a while then let it warm up and shake vigorously, if this does not work, add more to next batch.
Filter through cheesecloth or coffee filters and bottle it.

This is an adult only recipe, but then again it contains vodka and is a liqueur so you probably already knew that.

/Zorbeltuss

Offline Gergoric

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »
As you Americans seem to be quite interested in this food since WW II, here you get an recipe for traditional Sauerkraut , how my grandma used to make it at that time.

You need:
-one small barrel
-one round, big, flat stone that still fits in the barrel
-a good load of salt
-enough cabbages to fill the barrel
-some caraway
-enough vinegar to fill the gaps
-a piece of cloth

Cut the cabbages into small pieces and add the caraway. Fill the barrel with hand-thick layers of cabbage and scatter some grains of salt in between. Put the stone on top(I suggest adding some kind of rope to it, to get it back out). Fill the whole barrel with vinegar and put the cloth over the top to prevent insects and dirt from falling in. Keep the barrel in a cool and dark place for the next three to four months, whilst checking every week if there is still enough vinegar and collect the mice and rats which might have drowned in it. Then, in the winter, grab your portion of sauerkraut from below the stone. I suggest heating it up before eating it, but that is not necessary for it to be edible. An easy way to prevent scurvy during the winter during a cataclysm.

PS.: We might want to add it as an recipe into the game.

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
PS.: We might want to add it as an recipe into the game.

It's already in the game, both as a food and as a recipe. Our version uses lactic acid bacteria fermentation, so there's no vinegar involved.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Offline Pthalocy

• Global Moderator
  • Survivor
  • Babyfaced forum Janitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
Haha, I've been doing a variation on Tamago Kake Gohan where I've been using those instant rice noodles instead. I drain all the water off and add the eggwhite, and they turn all noodly too from the heat. I add a bit of water back plus a mix of seasonings (I like ginger, lemon, soy sauce and green onions! Sometimes cilantro.) and left over broth from whatever was had for dinner the day before, and the yolk turns the broth cream coloured. Yum. tl;dr i like egg. Egg is good. Egg is friend.
Quote from: Rivet
We accept him, we accept him. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
Simple tasty seafood
Buy some frozen seafood mix, unfreeze it, heat 50 ml of oil with some chopped garlic (as much as you like), add the seafood, some salt & grounded pepper, let it stew a couple min, add 100 ml wine (half a glass), some aromatic herbs and optional some tomato sauce, let it stew a few more min. That's all :). Works great with some rice, i just wiped it with bread.

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »
The only thing I can add is that, if you ever get a hamburger with fries, put the fries in the middle and eat it that way. Man, I'm hungry just by thinking of that.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
My lazy breakfast recipe. I didn't check if someone posted this already or if it has a name.

A bowl of rice. Usually leftovers from yesterday, because it takes a while to cook it fresh.

Fried eggs, make sure the yolk is runny. The number depends on how much rice you have. I usually make, like, 2-3.

Sesame oil

Soy sauce

Dried seaweed (optional)

Grab bowl of rice and add fried eggs, chop it up with a spoon or something and mix. The rice should turn yellow from the yolk.

Add soy sauce, the amount added is dependent on how salty you want it. If you mess up and add too much, just add more rice.

Add sesame oil, not to much but enough to get a slight sesame "nutty" flavor. Without this, the entire thing would taste like crap.

Seaweed is just an extra nice thing to have. Not really needed.

There's no real or exact amount of anything. Go for what tastes right for you.

Also, I usually eat this by itself but I guess you can have it with something else, personally I eat this with leftovers or a side of kimchi or something when I'm up for it.

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2017, 10:08:49 PM »
Cool recipe, Rot! It reminds me a bit of tamago kake gohan.

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
It is pretty similar!

Though of course I'm a little biased, I still prefer my sesame oil.

First this knife, then, the World!

Offline TheWumpus

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 03:31:33 AM »
TheWumpus presents: Pork Stroganoff (with special edition directors commentary)

Prep time: 30-40 minutes, depending on size of mushrooms
Cook time: 2+ hours (depending on amount of simmering time)
Feeds: Beats me, but I can eat on a pot of this stuff for about a week.

What you'll definitely need:
~2-3 pounds of pork chops. Really any kind is fine, bone in is usually less expensive and you're going to be cutting them up later so if you don't mind deboning them you'll be fine.
1 sweet onion. Red or yellow, I prefer yellow.
1 bunch green onion. Yes, a bunch, they are sold like that.
~1/2 lb crimini mushrooms. Also called baby bellas. You'll be hand slicing these so I prefer to pick out larger ones. Don't know what a crimini or a baby bella is? It's an immature portabella. If the spore sacks on the underside have started to open it's past its prime. Still tasty but not AS tasty.
White wine. I use carlo rossi chardonnay cause it's cheap and hasn't been aged. Don't want to use oak aged wine for cooking.
1 cup sour cream. If you can find some that's nearing its expiration date go for it, you're going to use it all right away.
2 cans beef broth
1 1/2 sticks butter. Unsalted. Sweet cream is the best.
Some all purpose flour. I don't have an exact measurement cause I make my roux on the fly.
Corn starch. Cause sometimes you just can't get the consistency right.
Kosher salt. Well any salt really I just prefer kosher for cooking meat.
Black pepper. Fresh ground is best, but do what you gotta do.
1 bag extra large egg noodles

What you may want:
Onion powder. Yes. There's already a LOT of onion in this. But a light dusting of onion powder helps really sear the flavor into the pork.
Garlic salt. Prefer this to garlic powder because it's super easy to overdo garlic powder.
Minced garlic. Up to you. I like garlic.
Smoked paprika. A very light dusting (just a few taps with the heel of the hand on the side of the bottle) adds an excellent smoky undertone.
Beau Monde seasoning. I find this gives a wonderfully robust flavor to white meats.
Herbs de Provence. This is a lighter counterpoint to the beau monde. Make sure to crush them well before sprinkling.
Port or sherry. For deglazing the pan. Since this is a lighter sauce I prefer sherry, although marsala is also a good choice.

How to do it:

• Do the prepwork. Slice the mushrooms thin, in line with the stalk. Put them in a bowl off to the side. Dice the onion, not super fine, about the size of your thumbnail and set aside in a bowl. Cut the green parts off the green onion and chop, ~1/8ish inch and set aside in a bowl. Take the white part of the green onions, cut the roots off, and chop them, and you guessed it, put in a bowl (with the regular onion is fine).
  • Season the pork. I find a layer of salt where most of the meat is "crusted" to be the correct salinity, which is why I prefer kosher because it's easier to tell. Give it a nice sprinkle or few twists of black pepper.
    2a.If desired add a light dusting (I find a rapid wrist shake forward and back over the meat to be good) or onion powder, garlic powder, and beau monde seasoning. Take a pinch of herbs de provence, crush it fine in your palm (it's not super dense) and sprinkle over the meat. Add that little bit of paprika if you like.
  • In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat.
  • Put the pork in the skillet once the butter is melted. Be careful, butter has a relatively low smoke point and burnt butter does not taste very good. Cook for ~15-20 minutes, depending on thickness, until it's at 160 degrees internal. Flip it every few minutes to keep it from burning.
  • Take the cooked pork out of the skillet and set aside.
  • Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan and add the mushrooms and sweet onions/white parts of the green onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring and flipping regularly, until onions are clarified and mushrooms have softened.
    6a. Now is an excellent time to cut up that pork. Observe proper food handling safety procedure and don't put it back on a cutting board that had raw meat on it.
  • Pull the mushrooms and onions out of the pan and set aside
  • Melt the remaining butter in the pan over low heat, whisking in the all purpose flour (I add a tablespoon at a time). You're looking for a nice thick, almost fry dough consistency. That'll thicken what'll become the sauce. Dump any leftover pork juices you have from the bowl/plate with the pork on it in during this part.
  • If you have chosen to deglaze the pan do so now. Add sherry/port/whatever cooking liquor to coat the bottom of the pan and start to boil. Add ~1/2 cup of white wine.
  • Put the pork, mushrooms, and onions back in the pan.
  • Add the beef broth.
  • Mix everything together so the roux is evenly distributed. I like a slotted spatula for this, it also allows me to make sure everything gets soaked in juicy goodness.
  • Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer. Grab a beer. Have a smoke. Watch an episode of the simpsons. It's on it's own for now. The longer the better, just check on it every once in a while and give it a stir. Taste it as it cooks. Need anything? Add it.
  • Once the mix has simmered long enough (I LIKE a minimum of 2 hours, but really anything over 5 minutes is acceptable) bring enough water to a boil to make the noodles. In a separate pot of course.
  • Boil noodles. There are instructions on the bag. This is the least complicated part of the process. I shouldn't even have to put a step for this in here.
  • While noodles are boiling check consistency of sauce. Don't forget the sour cream is going to firm it up a little bit, but if it's still super watery take a small glass, put a heaping tablespoon of corn starch in it and add water while mixing vigorously with a fork. You just need enough water to dissolve the corn starch, it'll thicken up in heat. Whisk a little bit at a time into the sauce until it clings to a spoon and drips slowly off. You can add as much corn starch as needed but remember to only mix in a little bit at a time as it can over thicken easily.
  • When there are 5 minutes left on the noodles mix the sour cream into the sauce. Also add the green bits of the green onions (dried they would be chives. But don't use chives. Use fresh green onions).
  • Drain noodles, put back in the pot. Pour the sauce over the noodles and mix together.
  • Put it in your face.

And that's it. It may seem pretty complicated but it's really not. I make this dish with a total of one pan and one pot, one knife, one cutting board, and four bowls. The only time it's super time critical is making the roux because it can burn fairly easily. And the seasoning choices I make are for my taste. Go nuts with it. Add whatever flavors you want. And please don't use canned mushrooms. Just don't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:34:16 AM by TheWumpus »
"I carved a French number puzzle into my chest for some weary survivor to solve and bled to death." -Closet Pankin

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2017, 10:16:54 PM »
I'm a big fan of stroganoff. Your recipe sounds really good!