Author Topic: Feature freeze for 0.A  (Read 16908 times)

Offline Hyena Grin

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Feature freeze for 0.A
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
Thanks Kevin!

Originally I was planning to hold off for the eventual Z-Levels before getting back into Cata, but the change-log looks interesting enough (and Z-Levels distant enough, I suppose) to jump back in and have another go. So I appreciate you going through the considerable effort to put together the list. I'll be waiting for that RC!

Offline bubbadoo14

• Survivor
  • Surviving off the grid, man.
    • View Profile
    • Utterly Mad Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline juliawang87

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
However, we're currently sitting at 0 release-blocker type bugs, so the current plan is to cut a release candidate tomorrow (if you want to get a head start, the RC s basically going to be the current experimental, as soon as Jenkins gets un-stuck again at least), and do the big bells-and-whistles release next Friday.

What would be the differences between tomorrow's release candidate and the bells-and-whistles version next Friday?  Would saves be compatible with both?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
However, we're currently sitting at 0 release-blocker type bugs, so the current plan is to cut a release candidate tomorrow (if you want to get a head start, the RC s basically going to be the current experimental, as soon as Jenkins gets un-stuck again at least), and do the big bells-and-whistles release next Friday.

What would be the differences between tomorrow's release candidate and the bells-and-whistles version next Friday?  Would saves be compatible with both?

Primarily bugfixes and full translation support.  Breaking save-compatibility happens, but we give notice first.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
Definitely save compatible.  The only difference between the RC and "actual" release will be bugfixes.  And maybe some translations packaged, but that's a tall order.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline TheGrifter

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »
Just to clarify, is there a feature freeze on the experimental versions?

Because there's some hallucinations I'd like to get added, if that's possible. Then again, I do not know how to Github, so I may be shit out of luck.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
Yes, the experimental is feature frozen until .A releases. (Since the stable versions are just a specific bundling of the experimental version). You could still make a git PR though, it would just end up waiting until after the .A release to get merged.

Offline juliawang87

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »
Definitely save compatible.  The only difference between the RC and "actual" release will be bugfixes.  And maybe some translations packaged, but that's a tall order.

I'm confused.  So, does that mean the release candidate is out? Is it the current experimental and it's just being called the RC because that experimental is going to become the stable version in a couple weeks?

Offline Soyweiser

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

I'm confused.  So, does that mean the release candidate is out? Is it the current experimental and it's just being called the RC because that experimental is going to become the stable version in a couple weeks?

The release candidate is indeed out: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5496.0 The plan is to keep saves compatible between the RC and the planned 0.A release. And 0.A will only contain bugfixes not new content.

So the new stable version will be the RC with any bugfixes for bugs found in the RC.

tl;dr
Yes. That experimental will be the stable version.
"Put me in charge and you'll have finished and polished game with hundreds more new features within two months." -- Lazycat
"Voker57 just was wondering about when did cata turn into contact lenses user simulator"