Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman released.  (Read 71504 times)

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman released.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
Yeah I'dl like a function that made clothing placed outside decay over time. I often play with big cities and settle down on a fortified house, and having all those piles of casings/clothes around forever gets somewhat annoying.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Yeah I'dl like a function that made clothing placed outside decay over time. I often play with big cities and settle down on a fortified house, and having all those piles of casings/clothes around forever gets somewhat annoying.
Clothing and corpse/corpse part decay outside probably wouldn't be too difficult to add, and is definitely something that's worth looking into.

dunno what you guys redone in regards of sawing, but turns are slower now, saving/loading is slower, game generally runs worse
Are you using Tiles instead of Curses (or vice versa?). Are you running an experimental that you compiled without -03? Other then that I'm not sure what to tell you, I can confirm that everything we've done causes drastic speedups in many places without any slowdowns, so whatever you are suffering from isn't a result of something we've done.

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Clothing and corpse/corpse part decay outside probably wouldn't be too difficult to add, and is definitely something that's worth looking into.
Would be nice if scavengers (like crows and other, new, critters) could seek out this stuff and run off with it too, piece by piece.

Offline Reservoir

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »
Cool. Thanks to everyone who worked in this new version.

Offline Gideon

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »
Would be nice if scavengers (like crows and other, new, critters) could seek out this stuff and run off with it too, piece by piece.

That would be awesome.

I am greatly looking forward to there being Z levels, so we can have multi-story structures. That's what I'm waiting on before I make a load of buildings.

Is there somewhere I can look up what a rough dev roadmap is? At least a list of features for the future?

Thanks, and I am addicted to this game.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:18 AM »
General big goals are NPC's and then Z-levels for the immediate future. Other then that it's pretty much up to what individual devs decide to do at any given time (a natural drawback of the game being an open source development project). You can certainly get an idea about the general tone of the game that we will be looking at in the Design Outline though. And can find our general planned out features by doing a filter for the "Enhancement" tag on the git issues list.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:41 AM »
Don't know where the dreamlands reference came from, I don't recall any credible plans of adding something like that, and having read most of the dream cycle, I don't recall anything more than bits and pieces being applicable to dda.  so to directly answer the question, "never".
general decay and deterioration of the environment is something we're interested in adding, that includes random clothes that get scattered around, and definitely corpses. (amusing side effect, you'd no longer be able to tell if a zombie corpse is down for good since it'd still have the ellow highlighting when decaying)
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline kazachastan

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 02:53:26 AM »
Are the tileset options not working for anybody else? I tried turning them on and off, and tried both different sets, but it doesn't seem to work.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:07 AM »
Did you download the curses/Console version? Only the Graphical version of the game supports tile sets.

Offline WCG

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
Do I have to start a new game with this version, or can I just transfer my save-game folder? Or do you know?

Thanks!

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:48 AM »
Do I have to start a new game with this version, or can I just transfer my save-game folder? Or do you know?

Thanks!
You should just be able to transfer the save file over and it should work fine, though most new things won't start showing up until you reach new areas of the map (note, you may have problems with very old saves from prior to .9, but I don't think so).

That said I'd still probably save a backup copy somewhere in case things go horribly wrong.

Offline dda

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »
Techno-new here:

Downloaded the mac curses (what does no localizations mean btw?)... How do I get the game to work from the folder that unzipped?

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »
No localizations means that the game only supports english, not any other translations.

As for running it you should be able to just double click on the "cataclysm" file and it should run (you may need to change the default size settings for your terminal first). If anything is popping up that is preventing that I highly suggest you post it into the Garage forums board, where we should hopefully be able to fix it fairly rapidly. :)

Offline Sanarr

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
Thanks for the release! Could someone please tell me about main course of development  for the next release? Like "0.A was aimed for bug tracking and groundwork for future updates. 0.B would be mostly concentrated on NPC'S/Z-hordes/map improvement/Z-levels/etc."  Thanks in advance.

Offline Inadequate

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
Expect NPC reworking/map improvement/Z-levels sometime after the heat death of the universe.