Author Topic: We make bad suggestions and come up with horrible ideas  (Read 957909 times)

Offline Miloch

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: We make bad suggestions and come up with horrible ideas
« Reply #3720 on: June 14, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
Alcoholic trait: Every time you find alcohol, your character has a % chance to automatically pick it up and start drinking.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: June 14, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
Alcoholic trait: Every time you find alcohol, your character has a % chance to automatically pick it up and start drinking.

i thought something like that for addictions is actually being considered? that's not that bad of a suggestion.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: June 16, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »
i thought something like that for addictions is actually being considered? that's not that bad of a suggestion.

It is bad, because accidental consumption of alcohol in the middle of combat, having to avoid one "hot tile" of the stash in base or vehicle, and all the tricks involved in never letting the character touch the stuff while going cold turkey, would all be annoying and would almost certainly happen if something of this sort was to be implemented.

Depending on range of this consumption:
  • Only on person: simply don't carry alcohol, put it all in a shopping cart
  • Adjacent (reachable): need a special spot in the stash (also stash vehicle) that doesn't need to be walked past
  • Crafting range: as above, except behind the doors

It wouldn't cause addictions to be more realistic, just far more annoying and anti-fun.

The problem with addictions right now is that you can easily go cold turkey by not getting near drugs is one thing, but the other one is that the addictions are generally too strong but too short-term to not go cold turkey means that adding extra annoyances to them would be counter-productive in making them sensible.

A lot of the supposedly good ideas that were proposed - and many that were implemented - are bad when you consider that their actual effect is opposite to the intended one.

Offline Zhilkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
Tha licks ARE annoying and not fun.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: June 16, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
i forget where, but kevin was talking about it being a trait, wasn't he? where you'd be unable to willingly drop paraphanalia and things like that, for a drug you're addicted to, i think what would keep it from being a bad idea is the addiction component, it wasn't drink one beer and suddenly anytime you pickup a can or get near a keg you involuntarily down the whole thing.

it's not really too big of a leap anyway, i mean i've been a heavy smoker of weed for like 18+ years, i'm not going to give up my bong because of the post apocalypse, i mean... bad example, but i'd bring a pipe and some seeds and whatever shit i had left, that's for sure, it has significant emotional value to you.

also, believe you me, everytime i found a convenience store i'd check for smokes and a lighter, hell, i might try to figure out how to identify tobbaco plants if i found a book..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:47:15 AM by TooDAMNMuch »
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: June 16, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
The in-game "willingly" has to be different from the real life meaning of the word.

For example, giving the player a huge, constant morale penalty for not having the favorite bong in inventory is fine, but gluing it to player's inventory and going all "Oops, that cursed bong of coughing feels deathly cold." is just asking for crafty exploits, at least in a game where you can remove items in ways other than dropping them.
For example, putting the bong in shredded backpack, then having a zombie tear it apart.
And when not crafty exploits, it would be player annoyance, where lack of storage space means having to bash zombies with a bong instead of using a nearby fire axe to do that.

Similar for addictions.

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: June 16, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
The in-game "willingly" has to be different from the real life meaning of the word.

For example, giving the player a huge, constant morale penalty for not having the favorite bong in inventory is fine, but gluing it to player's inventory and going all "Oops, that cursed bong of coughing feels deathly cold." is just asking for crafty exploits, at least in a game where you can remove items in ways other than dropping them.
For example, putting the bong in shredded backpack, then having a zombie tear it apart.
And when not crafty exploits, it would be player annoyance, where lack of storage space means having to bash zombies with a bong instead of using a nearby fire axe to do that.

Similar for addictions.

that third point is kinda impossible to argue with, yeah, i broke my cannibalism cookbook while fighting the jabberwock with it sadly, was gonna enjoy having a vorpal skill book too.
people ask THAT often.

Offline BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Survivor
  • What could possibly go wrong....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: June 18, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »
Wielding a gun with a folding stock attached restores it to its original size.
Inactive.

If you have questions about my posts, send me a PM.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
When destroying bomb-hacks deployed by zombie grenadiers, there's a small chance of the bomb-hack dropping an active charge of the explosive they carry instead of just becoming a harmless broken -hack.

Surprise attacked! When sleeping, survivors that get hit by an enemy take several times more damage compared to getting hit while awake.

Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!

Offline redxlaser15

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: July 10, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
   Zombie trait: zombies are your friends! But any NPC will instantly attack you and being a regular zombie you are pretty dang weak. And stupid. And can't hold weapons. Yaaaaa...
   Human trait: Wait, what were you before then?
   Animal trait: You cannot talk, you cannot use tools, or clothing, and NPCs like to hunt you for food.
   Infinite speed: You run at the speed of light and get hurt by anything run into, like that brick wall, or than big forest, maybe a straight up rock wall in a cave.
   I am bread trait: You are bread.
I was wondering why that zombie brute was getting bigger, then it hit me...
"Pfft, I have amazing armor; that shotgun wont kill me!" *Head gets blown off*
Game: Your Fedora is completely destroyed. Me: "I'm not going to kill you anymore, I'm going to TORTURE you!"

Offline Sundaysmile

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:32 AM »
Negative Starting Trait - Hypochondriac

Whenever physically injured or affected by Flu, Infection, Poison or Shroom sickness, character gains a -50 morale penalty until their condition improves to normal. 

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: July 20, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
when you die you control an NPC zombie instead so you can mess with other players while you wait to respawn.
people ask THAT often.

Offline Adragis029

• NPC
  • Mutant Mutant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
Deaf starting trait.

Offline Azrad

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: July 22, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
A pile bunker like weapon. Very heavy. Used by activating, deals massive piercing damage to one enemy, can do reach attacks, but once used it'll take some time to use again.
Strawberry Surprise: it's a meal, drink, morale booster, painkiller, ethanol burner fuel, and coping mechanism in one gulp!