Author Topic: C:DDA Design Outline  (Read 36626 times)

Offline SpaceKing

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: C:DDA Design Outline
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
Nice to see your goals laid out. All I can say is please don't get rid of the goofy stuff; it makes the game colourful, even if you are going for post-apocalypse.

I'd say that the Growth and Survival stages are in full effect right now, but the latter two I haven't felt yet. Influence is a bit vaguely defined and seems more akin to Survival than its own stage the way you described it. With the term 'influence' I was expecting the beginnings of a community or following of NPCs. More than merely surviving, you begin to carve out your place in the new world; whether that be with the helping hand of a friendly band or the bloody berth of scorched earth. (I like alliteration). Somewhere between "I know how to survive" and "I am the mayor of Megaton".

Trancendance seems pretty accurate though; established bases, advanced science, all good fun. The term is interesting too; I'd imagine this as a whole new tier of personal enhancement. Either through your loyal followers, advanced tech, formidable arsenal or nightmarish form, turning you into some huge level of legendary badass. It'd be cool to cap the endgame with fighting the big bads of the apocalypse, like the Blob or Fungal Hordes. Boss-style encounters once you're kitted out enough.

Also I may be personally biased towards this, but being able to mutate your way to horrific perfection is always a fun prospect.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
Nice to see your goals laid out. All I can say is please don't get rid of the goofy stuff; it makes the game colourful, even if you are going for post-apocalypse.
Don't worry about that. At most we will probably be moving most of those items to an in-game mod type of thing, so that they are easily toggle able on/off for those who don't want them, but they will be remaining in the game.

Offline infectedmochi

• Survivor
  • Omnomnom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:45 AM »
Ummm... okay then. Yeah. I'll... think about that. ....Yeah.

Offline Darkfirephoenix

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »
Hrmmm.... I like the the Outline and I would really like a Faction system implemented as fast as it is possible (or am I reading it wrong?). And as far as I see my ideas aren't against the Outline that hard, (for question plese look in my thread: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=6068.0 and ask there) I would have to make only minor adjustments as far as I can tell. MAN! I really want the finished game, NOW! (where is my time-Machine?! :P )

Offline Hague

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
Okay, this is a thread revival, but I'm trying to be exactly clear on the theme here. The sense that I'm getting from the design outline is basically a cross of 28 Days Later, Transmetropolitan, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Am I missing anything else?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 12:08:51 AM »
Okay, this is a thread revival, but I'm trying to be exactly clear on the theme here. The sense that I'm getting from the design outline is basically a cross of 28 Days Later, Transmetropolitan, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Am I missing anything else?

Sticky thread is sticky, so feel free.

I'm vaguely familiar with the ideas behind 28 Days Later.  Never seen Transmetropolitan, and TMNT is something I played on the NES.  Can't really help you, sorry.

Offline Hague

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
28 Days Later was zombies infected by a blood-borne virus. Not decayed, but rather people in a state of needless homicidal rage.

Transmetropolitan is basically: "High-tech, Low-life" The wonders of technology are great but the value of human dignity and quality-of-life are practically zero. Anti-heroism is the closest thing this world gets to 'hero' and nobody really cares about what day or time it is. It's basically all rampant victimization by authorities and the media that covers it up. Though, Transmet is farther in the future, but it's easy to see that the pre-cataclysm world is shaping up to be just like it.

As for TMNT, it's basically the premise of fast-acting body-changing mutagens. The Turtles themselves being a product of exposure to Mutagen. Also, the extra-dimensional invaders and space alien stuff :P

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:21 AM »
28 Days Later was zombies infected by a blood-borne virus. Not decayed, but rather people in a state of needless homicidal rage.

Transmetropolitan is basically: "High-tech, Low-life" The wonders of technology are great but the value of human dignity and quality-of-life are practically zero. Anti-heroism is the closest thing this world gets to 'hero' and nobody really cares about what day or time it is. It's basically all rampant victimization by authorities and the media that covers it up. Though, Transmet is farther in the future, but it's easy to see that the pre-cataclysm world is shaping up to be just like it.

As for TMNT, it's basically the premise of fast-acting body-changing mutagens. The Turtles themselves being a product of exposure to Mutagen. Also, the extra-dimensional invaders and space alien stuff :P

Ah.

Zeds are an otherdimensional blob (as seen in the slime pits) using the bodies to get around.  I tend to think of mutations to non-zeds as happening more in the Parasite Eve line/timeframe, but I could understand how that might resemble the Turtles.  IIRC they were more full-body mutation rather than the piecemeal we have here.  (Instant threshold, more or less.)

Offline Hague

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 04:05:30 AM »
The mutagen had problems too. There were other, less successful applications of copies of the TMNT mutagen, if I recall, half-formed sorts of things, chimeras and the like.

Parasite Eve... takes me back to climbing the Chrysler building... only to be greeted by a relatively terrible ending :P

Offline Bumpkin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 01:41:52 AM »
The doc says "No bad mutation chains because they're useless padding" but how would devs feel about one that was included purely for lore-reasons, to enhance the feeling of pre-Cataclysm dystopia? Something intended to work like Brave New World's epsilon class, a mutation which heavily gimps and retards you with literally no benefit ; but it comes with notes/documents scattered around the lab explaining that it was designed to create a sub-class of unambitious, short-lived, illiterate, borderline-retarded workers for the most menial labours? A class that would never grumble or protest or revolt against the ruling elites and waste precious resources being suppressed.

It obviously wouldn't have value to a player and I'm sure nobody will go around cooking Epsilon Serum, but it's inclusion could greatly enhance lore/atmosphere and remind people just what a pack of amoral bastards those pre-Cata scientists were. What do you guys think?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:04 AM »
Notes, sure, though that research would be spotty at best.  Actual mutations, no, because folks would be unlikely to take them.

Offline Shoes

• Survivor
  • I maintain the body temperature mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 02:22:43 PM »
I searched "inventory" and "container", but that document has no hits. I know Kevin has some ideas developed for what he wants; assuming this document is still being maintained and pointed to as a content guide, perhaps something could be added in regards to that? I've also searched git and the forums, but the keywords are vague and a lot of stuff comes up.

I would love to say that I would work on it given a developed frame of ideas, but I think it would surpass my expertise :3

Offline burgerpro

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 06:51:31 AM »
Will there ever be realistic landscape? Or everything will be flat forever?
I understand that it will require lots of work, complete rework of terrain generation, buildings, vehicles, npc and mob behaviour, but in exchange it will grant ability to make interesting vehicles (double decker bus, monster truck, giant robots, maybe even flying vehicles), grant ability to use landscape to hide/cover from enemy fire, make use of elevated terrain to scout/snipe enemies, design stuff with flowing water and lava, water wheels, etc etc etc.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 07:07:23 AM »
3D map handling is being worked on, mostly by coolthulu.
Once that is fully working, many of the features you mention will be possible.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline ZoneWizard

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »
3D map handling is being worked on, mostly by coolthulu.
Once that is fully working, many of the features you mention will be possible.

By chance anything like the current UnReal World game? It looks flat at first but gets pretty nice for stealth and archery.