Author Topic: C:DDA Design Outline  (Read 33906 times)

Offline knightkat

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: C:DDA Design Outline
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but do you have any general design document outlining the underlying procedural generation techniques that are used? I'd also be interested in how the AI is implemented and the mechanics of the crafting system.

In terms of the crafting system I took a look at the data/raw/items section and was wondering if you were planning to implement any form of procedural system for that rather than an explicit list.

This is all just for personal interest more than anything.

Thanks,

KnightKat

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
Afraid not with the procedural generation, frankly I wouldn't look to dda for a good example of procedural generatiin, it's all very as hoc and messy, there's not much in the way of solid theory behind it.
No plans currently to do any procedural generation of items, monsters,  etc,  it would be rather difficult to harmonize procedural generation with wanting to be representative of real world items.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »
It would be fine for crafted items, though.
For example, we have those kinds of spears: wooden (fire-hardened), stone, copper, knife.
For monsters, having templates like young, monstrous etc. would add some flavor to the game.

Due to lack of recipes, wool is pretty useless as a material. Allowing it to substitute cotton would actually allow making it useful.
Even if it was as simple as just generating a duplicate entry with cotton replaced by wool and tiny adjustments to warmth.

The items in the game are only as representative of real world as their uses are. If an item is made useless by game mechanics (but useful IRL), it won't be representative until it becomes useful. In this case, wool is useless because of limited recipes and mild winters.