Author Topic: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)  (Read 573949 times)

Offline Murphy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Needfull things (simple additions to improve the game)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 05:53:16 AM »
Item spawn % seems to only affect items spawned on the map, not those dropped by zeds or gotten from furniture disassembly or cars. I propose that, with lower spawn %, windows would spawn broken, there would be less cars around, some furniture would spawn rusty or decayed or already cannibalized for parts, butchering shockers/scientists would give burnt-out bionics more often, instead of useful ones.

Inspired by the fact that experienced players tend to accumulate stuff much faster than they use it up.

Offline JimQuaid

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
More of an atmospheric thing but have bionic operations take time and always damage the body depending on what and how intrusive the implant is.

For example, using the CBM: Fusion Blaster Arm will tell you "Operation will take 5 hours and have a success rate of 62%" If it's successful your torso will be damaged by 20% or so (it's the whole arm, shoulder and everything? Not damage the left arm since that is now bionic) and give you the "Recovering from bionic operation" condition which will last 1 or 2 days or duration-dependant on the implant in question. As long as you have this condition trying to install another bionic will be X% more likely to fail.

This will make the player want to be in top health before making a lifechanging operation rather than quickly installing a finger mounted laser because there's a zombie brute down the street.

Enemies who are rather just normal humans with guns and other equipment. Basically survivor bandits, but more simple then NPC's because NPC's are just bugged. Travel in groups and attack everything else on sight. More dangerous then typical enemies, as they have guns armour, and clothes, and travel in packs.

Really like this, was going to suggest that too.

Offline Goombah

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Sewing machines.

Seriously.

Why the hell can't I get a sewing machine?

Game effect would be to just make tailoring faster or maybe make it easier at the small possibility of injuring your hand at low levels of skill, or maybe do more with less stuff due to machined precision or /something/.

Tarps. For protecting areas  or camps from rain. It'd be nice to have a fire with a tarp over it to keep it from getting rained on.

I like the idea of survivor bandits who will loot entire areas and kill everything in their path and move on, but it seems like that has the potential to be really imbalanced, since they'd probably be heavily armed and the PC can't really have NPC support at this time.

The most important thing, I think, missing from this game is the New England coastline. Mind you, that's not a 'simple' thing, but  I really do think that having a game set in New England without the New England coastline is a problem. WOuld certainly give love to all those aquatic mutations and be able to add a whole host of new factors in the long run. Nor'easters, hurricanes, sea monsters, tiny islands, tiny fishing villages and beach cottages and lighthouses...

That last one. /Lighthouses/.

Really, adding things that are characteristic of New England would add character to the game that's missing right now.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:59:10 AM by Goombah »

Offline ClockworkZombie

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
I'd like to see more fluff-type additions, stuff that doesn't actually affect gameplay but is memorable to the player.  Stores should have names (drawn from lore, or real-life locations, maybe- holing up in a bar is suddenly appealing when it's called The Winchester.

other ideas:
-Fridges should have random notes similar to the flyers that are (were) sprinkled around, haven't seen any of those since .9 though.
-Houses should have numbers, or maybe even those silly plaques that say "The Smith's".  Something to give them more personality than "generic house with or without basement" Names could be pulled from the donor list or whatever we use to make random PC names.
-City names should be easily visible to the player, or at least mentioned on the maps you find.
-Overmaps generated after day 0 or day 10 or something should spawn from tweaked lists, food should be rotten, some houses demolished or set on fire, stores should be looted or at least a little beat up.  Right now it's more like "The yogurt's always fresher in the next town over!"

For the additional fluff information, this could probably be achieved via simple messages printed to the player, stuff like "You spot a sign saying you're entering Lowville, population 2000"

Labs are the only thing I've encountered so far that have anything approaching a story that unfolds through exploration.

Offline Binky

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
Great idea, and I really think a 'to-do' list of smaller things that people can help on would be useful. As Clockwork mentioned - further decay over time would be a great addition. Even if this is just currently for new places that you find (and therefore a little bit jarring) it'd be a huge improvement. I'd say 10 days for a little decay and a month for major decay. I know this is slightly unrealistic, but seeing as there are monsters and whatever, it's probably accelerated a bit.

-Pre-damaged stuff - which is either weaker or unworkable (but possibly with some salvageable parts) versions for corpse spawns and zombies. This was mentioned in (http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5763.60) and seemed to be met with approval. Obviously, it wouldn't need to be ALL items, but it'd make sure that we don't get the loot piñata situation that we get now. It can be explained by damage from monsters, and even a few days of exposure to the elements would damage a lot of equipment.

-More modularisation - a sci-fi pack and a 'super/crazy mod' would be great. Although I'm very for modularization, I think we should try to limit to thematic groupings rather than just item sets (so 'sci-fi' instead of 'sci-fi guns' and 'sci-fi armour') otherwise we'll end up with way too many.

-More mundane buildings. More variations of all buildings we have currently, without being too 'special' or unique, just to give it a more lived in feel rather than just loads of set buildings.

-General balancing - I know it's an obvious one, but I think there's a lot of work non-coders can do by testing stuff out for balancing. Even if you report back your assessment if you can't face the JSONs yourself, it'd really help to get some good testing done.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
As someone else already said:
Railroad tracks.

I intentionally don’t suggest train vehicles (here) since this is probably FAR from being simple. ;-)

I already have code for the map tiles! (But I don’t know where to drop it! :-()

Read what’s going on in this topic: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5678.0

Offline Vault14

• Zombie Food
  • The only winning move is to not play
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
Different ranged weapons having different costs in action points(or whatever they are called) for aiming and firing a single shot, like different melee weapons do for each melee attack. That will give a greater gameplay purpose to the existing variety of ranged weapons and pump-action vs. semi-auto shotguns will have a greater difference between them, among other things. The firearms decay, different reliability and maintenance already helped in making guns less fluff and more meaningful, and this would be a very good next small step that is probably harder to implement than I imagine in that area.

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »
I like many of these ideas. Sewing machines. Coastline. Stick-it-notes.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
We have descriptions for many things in the game. We have descriptions for items, mutations, skills, bionics, monsters, status effects.
So it does not seem far fetched to also have descriptions for
  • terrain types,
  • furniture,
  • constructions (in the construction menu) (short description about what possible uses the result of the construction may have),
  • fields (like blood splatters, cobwebs, etc..),
  • placed traps and
  • vehicle parts in vehicles.

Also a possibility of re-reading the descriptions for the melee styles one has obtained would be useful.

I hope this list was simple enough. But I am pretty sure more in-game descriptions would be incredibly useful. Possible use cases are for interactive terrain where the function is not obvious, for example ATMs and recyclers. Another example: “This is a underbrush. With a high survival skill you may find wild vegetables.”. Another use case: With good descriptions the player could possibly find out alone how to farm without having to peek to the wiki first. So I think it is safe to say more descriptions are needed and therefore justified.

Another related suggestion:
Stop abusing the “examine” function. The examine function is really just a catch-all function for doing all sorts of things with terrain. Rarely it is about examination.
Instead the curreent so-called examine function could be split to two functions: One for examination (and ONLY examination) and one for interaction. With the (new) examine function nearby terrain/traps/furniture/etc. which is examined will be described. And the interaction function is basically everything which actually did not belong the the examine function in the first place: Pick up items, pick apple tree, use ATM, use vending machine etc. This suggestion goes hand in hand with the previous suggestion, because a REAL examination function is missing.
I am unsure if this qualifies as “simple”.

Offline Swirly

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »
(Changed my original suggestion, after rereading the guidelines for what was being asked for. You want building ideas? I got em!)

It kinda bugs me that there are "bikini top"s but no "bikini bottom"s, so seeing those added would be nice. I second the person earlier who suggest adding in some randomly generated names for stores/towns. It would be a small addition that would add a lot more character to the world.

Notes scattered about the place that give a civilian perspective on the the cataclysm would be cool. They would serve a similar sort of purpose as the Research logs founds in Labs, but either have misinformation, random non-important notes, or funny/strange comments. Maybe occasionally have useful tips for new players (ex: "One of those things broke into my makeshift shelter today. It is a good thing I smashed out my neighbors window and made a crude spear using the string, curtain rod, and a sharpened rock earlier, or it might have gotten me!", or "Got so desperate for water today that I actually drank out of a toilet. Now I can't stop puking. Maybe I should have tried boiling it or something first.") I know that sort of detracts a bit from the whole rogue-like vibe of killing new players because they don't know any better, but learning from the mistakes of others is just as valid and less frustrating than being killed because of a mechanic you could only know about by using the wiki. or by accidentally discovering. Still, because it IS a rogue-like, and failure is part of the fun, I'd say these "tips" should be really simple stuff, and not always actually correct. That ought to keep things interesting.

Suggestions for new buildings/locations (with suggestions for what could be found at them):

Post Office buildings, and mail-carrier z's which spawn there (perhaps have them drop fliers, magazines, and packages that can be dismantled for random clothes/electronics). As is, random z's are wearing bits and pieces of a postman's uniform, but there is no mail, and there are no post-offices to justify it.

Campsites in forests, with the corpses of backpackers, granola, canteens,  tents, and other camping supplies. A cursory look at any sporting goods store shows that backpacking and camping were alive and well in the setting, so it is a little weird that there aren't actually any campsites.

Carnival Grounds. They would be a great source of metal frames, be an interesting location to have a stand-off with z's, and maybe have lots of junk-food scattered around. It gives an excuse to add more junk food to the game (funnel cakes, cotton candy), and another location to add in the rarely-seen food carts. Also zombie clowns are terrifying. Perhaps they could drop clown suits, clown shoes (high encumbrance, make noise when you walk), and bicycle horns. The parking lot outside the grounds might be a good place to find working cars, or even a bus or two (for the carnies).

Beauty Salons in the towns, where you can find some housecoats, spray cans (for hairspray I guess), beauty magazines and the like. You could probably dismantle the tanning beds for heating elements. Chemicals and scissors could probably be found here too, as well as whatever items were left by panicked patrons who fled when the cataclysm happened.

Community Theater Houses. They would have tons of seats, be a large concrete building with few entrances/exits and no windows (so not a bad place to turn into a base), and backstage you could have lots of floodlights, prop weapons, and exotic costumes. It would give an excuse to add in clothing that otherwise wouldn't make sense a "20-minutes into the Future" setting.

Jewelry Stores. Pretty self explanatory, and give those survivors so inclined a way to bling themselves out. You might occasionally find ridiculously extravagant jewelry in there. (Giant iced-out dollar sign necklaces, crowns, tiaras, pretty much anything Flavor-Flav would wear). Also would be a reliable place to pick up a watch.

Gentleman's Clubs. Not in town, of course, and I dunno if these sorts of places are all that prevalent up North, but down here in the Southern states you can pretty well count on passing at least one strip club along the road if you go on a long road-trip. These would be found a bit outside of towns (like gas stations, perhaps even next to gas stations), and would be good sources of booze. In the back rooms you might find various undergarments, costumes, drugs, and in the managers office maybe some guns and money piles.

Zoos. It would give an excuse to add in some more exotic animals, and be a really interesting location to explore/use as a base. Though if zoos make it in, I would suggest having them be an optional thing, to accommodate differing ideas of the time-frame of how long ago the cataclysm happened.

I feel like any and all of these would add more variety, and therefore entertainment, to characters who have made it past the initial couple of days of frantic looting and have begun to actually explore the world.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:43:18 PM by Swirly »

Offline StopSignal

• Survivor
  • Never stop drawing!
    • View Profile
    • You can see my drawings here!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
Most of those ideas are, IMO, great, but i am not sure if they are "Basic" like Kevin said. For this kind of ideas we have the Drawing Board.
Some are really Needed Right Now tough!

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Could someone of the core devs reply which of those suggestions are legit (in other words: are on the TODO list) and which aren’t? This also may give the suggestors a feeling about where the border between “simple” and “not simple” lies. ;-)

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
I agree with Wuzzy about examination and about sorting through the thread.

Offline TheGrifter

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
I'd like more cars that simply ran out of gas or something. Right now, it seems like every vehicle crashed into some mime's imaginary wall, or ran over non-existant spike strips...

I can deal with lugging around gas... But tires are cruel, and engines are even crueler...

Also, could you make it so that folks can refuel car batteries with normal batteries? I know that's unrealistic, but it'd be nice.

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
Also, could you make it so that folks can refuel car batteries with normal batteries? I know that's unrealistic, but it'd be nice.
I think you can already do this one, or at least you used to be able to.