Author Topic: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)  (Read 573954 times)

Offline Orthum

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Needfull things (simple additions to improve the game)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »
I would love to see telephone poles... on the side of the road, doesn't have to have wires, just the poles... because speeding going on the curb and nailing a pole would be awesome.

Offline Endymion

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 02:38:12 AM »
Personally I would love a way to dump everything in a shopping cart onto the ground without using several hundred keystrokes. Also, some way of sorting the pickup menu by function, for when I'm trying to find that one whatever I know I threw into my trunk somewhere.

Also, a 'toolbox' type item. Now that crafting is being broken into items with hammering, screwing, bolting, sawing, etc. qualities on items, it would be nice to be able to craft the standard set of tools into a single (high volume) item for ease of inventory management. I'm sure the SS13 players would love to bash in zombie skulls with a metal toolbox as well.

Offline Murphy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »
Really the most needful thing right now is to improve late game difficulty. If my idea about making item spawn % work better doesn't count as simple, then how about the following:

1) We need more ranged enemies.
Tough zombies, zombie brutes and hulks could hurl heavy objects at the player. Hulks could probably even hurl nearby furniture. Make spitter and shocker zombies more common as time progresses, and add another cyborg zombie who uses ranged weapons (perhaps a harpoon to pull the player close, a-la Scorpion). Some of the smart zombies (zombie master, zombie necromancer) could use guns or thrown knives. Zombie soldiers probably too, not because they have the intelligence, but because basic reflexes are kept upon zombification, and soldiers learn to shoot until it's an ingrained skill. I am not sure if they would know how to reload, but zombie masters would.

2) We need more environmental challenges.
I've posted before about making winter more harsh. Snowstorms should lower running speed and visibility distance severely, and winter itself should be colder.

3) More enemies underground.
As it stands, subway tunnels and sewer ducts are a safe haven. I've never encountered anything down there unless it followed me from the surface. More mutated rats would be a good start, and crocodiles as per the urban legend. Perhaps make new types of otherworld creatures that would fit underground.

Offline Sanarr

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
+1 to Murphy's post. Especially concerning new ability to dig underground - some underground enemies should  be a threat for those who decide to build their fortress (maybe add some who would emerge from underground walls like giant worms or something).

Offline PoeSalesman

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
I don't agree with zombies using guns (or that Scorpion idea) or zombies turning into different kinds later on in the game (especially doesn't make sense with static spawning), but I do think we need some enemies with ranged ability.

Offline halberdsturgeon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
Same. Zombies should remain as they are; dumb, shambolic and interminable. We have NPCs in the game, remember? No need to make zombies do everything.

Offline jimboblordofeskimos

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
My call would be harder optional areas, on the line of labs but with a higher risk/reward type thing.  Throwing in more nasties is only really good if you are already a very experienced player
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Offline Sanarr

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
Like to see some domestic animals expansion stuff. Farm animals for food and/or resources and, especially, mountables. Lonely horse-rider in post-apoc world... seems good to me.

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
Wait, did sewing machines get taken out at some point?

Hmm.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
Let the safe mode also kick in when the player takes damage.

This could prevent situations like this: players walks to the west, holding down the key, walks on land mine (not dead yet), continues walking, walks on another land mine and dies. The first land mine may be bad luck, but the second land mine could have been avoided, because the player simply did not react fast enough.
With the tweak, it could look like this: Player runs to the west, holding down the key. Walks on land mine (still alive). Safe mode kicks in and the player does not automatically walk to the second land mine.

I am sure there are other uses of this tweak as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:48:36 PM by Wuzzy »

Offline John Candlebury

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
Let the safe mode also kick in when the player takes damage.

This could prevent situations like this: players walks to the west, holding down the key, walks on land mine (not dead yet), continues walking, walks on another land mine and dies. The first land mine may be bad luck, but the second land mine could have been avoided, because the player simply did not react fast enough. I am sure there are other uses of this tweak as well.

This would sound pretty annoying actually, what about normal melee combat? How would it handle it? Only triggering it with traps?

I don't know, it doesn't seem like it would actually make you less unlikely to die from the trap either, you could always backtrack into another one by accident.

Offline Wuzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
You don’t understand. If you are in normal melee combat and safe mode is on, you could not fight anyways, since you are seeing a hostile enemy. So if you are in a melee fight already, you would have turned off safe mode anyways, so the safe mode does not apply if you take damage in that melee fight.

And of course it does not make you less likely to walk into a trap. Safe mode is only there to protect the player to unintentionally walk too far, like walking directly into a zombie horde. Safe mode does not protect the player from bad luck or stupidity. ;-). My suggestion is really just the same thing with the safe mode you know already, there is just one more event which triggers it. Wheather and when safe mode is used is still up to the player.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:00:38 PM by Wuzzy »

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
Wait, did sewing machines get taken out at some point?

Hmm.
I've never known sewing machines existing since I joined the project, so if they were taken out it's been almost a year since they were in the game.

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
I agree about late game difficulty, I've never seen sewing machines and I think adding traps to safemode is a good idea.

Offline secretfire

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
Zombies should never be a ranged opponent. When more NPCs are in, I don't think this will be an issue, since you'll naturally have raiders, cannibals, rapists, ex-politicians and so on. I also think thats not a simple addition.

What might be cool though.... I've never seen a river turn into a lake in game. We have tons of lakes in the  NE. Heck, go a couple hundred miles east and you'll hit an ocean. Might be a nice option to be able to turn on lakes in mapgen. Or even have an option where the map is normal north/south, but turns to desert in the loooooooooooong west, and ends in ocean in the east. Dunno, I guess its stupid, but some overall stuff like that would be cool.

At the very least, for a game set where I live, water should be more of a fact of life. You can't walk a mile around here without hitting a stream. I can't imagine dying for lack of thirst. You'd have to be a moron - and lakes are just -everywhere-. Lakes, boats, and so on - they really should be more present as a geographical feature, even if you don't deal with the whole ocean thing.

I mean, heck, even if you ignore all the waterways around here...just look at the old coal mines. You'll get more subsidence due to those then you'd -ever- get in a wetland, simply because you have whole areas underneath entire cities peppered with 2-4 hundred year old coal mines. They subside enough now (you hear about it on occasion) - I can just imagine what they'd be like after the sewers let out and flooding set in. Plenty of old flooded mines dot the area already. Supposedly there's usually good fishing in them, but I wouldn't know, you wouldn't catch me dead doing something as stupid as that.

I guess I'm just saying that some more northeastern features in general would be nice, as the area feels more 'generic suburban/suburban-rural US' right now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:14:05 PM by secretfire »