Author Topic: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)  (Read 638368 times)

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
Re: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)
« Reply #3750 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
That seems like it might work, long as it doesn't disable attacks through ports. Would be awfully hacky though
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 14, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »
Some one years ago suggested on forum or irc cant rwm.
to place invisable blocks in between the space to prevent movement in that space could that work or?

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 14, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
how would it stack with collisian mechanics? Mobs only? Then how do mobs get to your vehicle to attack it in a normal manor? Do you put it on the inside? if so that might be blocking player from something important, though they should be able to access everything without standing on that spot....unless its a narrow vehicle. and even if thats not a problem how do you tell the game which blocks need 'reinforcing' with invisible blocks?

if (construction menu pathing = false) {
 when (wall <= 0)
    [pathing = true]
 else (pathing through not_door = false)
 }
?

would require a lot more work than that, and would be hacky to boot. Maybe if instead of an 'invisible block' it was just a

'cannot move from not_vehichle to Vehichle between diagonal_wall without "mountable" flag or no_floor'

or the like.....

Vehicle construction is known to be lodged deep within the hardcoded noodles though, so having monster checks through it could get complicated until someone is able to Json more of it or something.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• Zombie Food
  • Spudjutsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »
A way to mend various motor faults, not only drive belts.

Offline EpsilonShadow

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: September 15, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Add a way to lock vehicle doors and hatches.

When I returned from raiding a lab I noticed door of my RV was open. When I checked my stuff I noticed some of electronics was missing. Soon after that one NPC attacked me. When I checked his corpse I found my stolen stuff. That's not the first time NPCs are stealing my stuff and it's really annoying to have 13 tons of armor with several hulk splats on the windshield and don't be able to protect my loot from NPCs.

PS. Is there a way to make crafter turrets attack everything but player even if it is not hostile? If not I think this should be added too.

Offline Justin Case

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
It would be nice to have a cover system for firefights. For instance when i peak out from the corner, i would be able to fire my gun. The enemy would have half the chance to hit me

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
  • STAY AWAY FROM MY PRETZELS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »
It would be nice to have a cover system for firefights. For instance when i peak out from the corner, i would be able to fire my gun. The enemy would have half the chance to hit me
Make sandbag barricades acctually work.

Offline Justin Case

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
Yeah... i just recently started to use firearms in the game, but its really painful, that i always have to move out from cover. I always feel like those sneaky german soldiers who gets gunned down from hip by an american hero in an old ww2 movie :D

Offline i2amroy

• Contributor
  • Survivor
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: September 19, 2017, 04:44:36 AM »
Actually a lot of cover already works. The way it happens is every time a bullet passes through a square on the way to you (or your target if you are the shooter) it's got a chance to hit the object in that square. If it hits it then it takes a reduction to it's damage with a chance to damage the tile (might also have a chance to throw off aim as well, not sure on that bit). Drop the damage down low enough and the bullet stops before it gets to you.

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »
Actually a lot of cover already works. The way it happens is every time a bullet passes through a square on the way to you (or your target if you are the shooter) it's got a chance to hit the object in that square. If it hits it then it takes a reduction to it's damage with a chance to damage the tile (might also have a chance to throw off aim as well, not sure on that bit). Drop the damage down low enough and the bullet stops before it gets to you.
I don't think this rule applies to vehicles as I actually did a test where using a shotgun I tried to shoot at zombies on the other side of various vehicle tiles more specifically transparent one and even more specifically a door, a frame and a quarter panel but then again unlike sandbags the quarter panel and door are not directly able to be walked on.

Offline Justin Case

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »
So if i understand, the cover system works, that even if im standing in the middle of the street, the shot can miss me or damage less, the further they are shooting at me?

Another suggestion: more flavour text when you are exploring the world... if you examine for instance a building, it would describe how it looks etc

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
So if i understand, the cover system works, that even if im standing in the middle of the street, the shot can miss me or damage less, the further they are shooting at me?

Another suggestion: more flavour text when you are exploring the world... if you examine for instance a building, it would describe how it looks etc
This building looks like a potato.

Offline Justin Case

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 20, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
For instance it could look like a potato. Or "the building is in bad shape, various grafities are painted on the wall from before the cataclysm."  Something like that... but i got the hint.. bad idea

Offline DeWolf

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
For instance it could look like a potato. Or "the building is in bad shape, various grafities are painted on the wall from before the cataclysm."  Something like that... but i got the hint.. bad idea
I was more of hoping you would give more specifics as how it would work and what kind of descriptions would be used. I would not necessarily call it a bad idea but description of how a building looks is a bit too general. My apologies if I came off blunt.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 20, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »

Well... technically yes. But you are misunderstanding what is being said.

while range = harder to hit/decreased accuracy

but as the cover system works, the more things that the bullet has to travel "over" thats not JUST ground the more likely it does less damage or doesn't make it to you at all,

and thats on top of 'lower accuracy'/'lower damaging fire arc' (aka they miss and the bullet lands at you feet in the tile next to you)

at least thats how I understood what they just said about how cover mechanics currently work.