Author Topic: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)  (Read 652613 times)

Offline Squaggly Maggleton

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)
« Reply #3735 on: September 13, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
I know i have said it befor so has other but would lovveeeeee trailers

There's technical reasons they don't put hitches in (making vehicles bend is hard).

or some way to drive a small quad bike onto the back of a pickup truck strap it down and off ya go :).

That's probably easier to do than hitches. Just make a new vehicle tile that is activate-able and can be driven on. When it is activated it could "merge" the vehicles into one, or disconnect everything but the "strappable" tile into it's own vehicle. If the part is placed kinda like a ram or external tank (AKA it acts as it's own frame, the difference is: it counts as a connection point for other frames so you can build off of it directly) you won't be able to place other parts on it in the vehicle construction menu. The only problem is that when a vehicle is strapped it would actually be part of the other one, so it would need a special flag saying to ignore everything but the weight of strapped tiles that are active (if you load a 50000 lb vehicle onto a 50000 lb vehicle you would expect to see a drop in performance, not suddenly becoming faster because you have twice the engines). That or make a "strapped" copy of every vehicle part in the game with no properties but weight and storage (Much worse option from a mod compatibility and future workload standpoint but easier, if more time consuming, to do. I could probably do this part myself if it's what gets settled on).

That's the most elegant way I can think of at least. It completely bypasses the pivoting vehicles problem and seems relatively simple to implement, along with being partially supported by code already in the game. Sadly I lack the skill to do (most of) it myself, I'm much better at coming up with ideas than coding them lol.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 13, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Oh wow. Thats a really crafty way of dealing with it. Would it actually work with the current code? Or would it require rewriting something too core to be easily done?
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 13, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
I don't know how hard it would be to make vehicles be able to pass over other vehicle tiles. The only answer I can think of is making a new "layer" of existence. I *think* we already have a "vehicle" and "player/npc" layer, and they can move in tandem when you're driving. It could instead have "vehicle", "bed", and "player/npc" and link all of  their movement in the same way it already is. The "bed" layer wouldn't need to be nearly as extensive as the "vehicle" layer is, it would only need one installation point instead of frame/internal/roof/etc like vehicles. This also ensures that you need at least one "vehicle" tile with engine/wheel/etc to move the thing. This could also make bridge-building viable, just make a static "bed".

This would definitely need some sort of core changes, but I don't think it would be a huge re-write per se. Most of the code would be able to be scavenged from other bits. Probably. Maybe. I think.

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 13, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
I would love trailers but could totally go for a way to strap vehicles to other vehicles in the mean time. Its really all I want a trailer for anyways besides massive amounts of detachable storage.

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 13, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
This would be awesome.
i could totaly live with out trailers if we had some kind of flat bed tile we could place/drive other vehicles onto :o.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
I don't know how hard it would be to make vehicles be able to pass over other vehicle tiles. The only answer I can think of is making a new "layer" of existence. I *think* we already have a "vehicle" and "player/npc" layer, and they can move in tandem when you're driving. It could instead have "vehicle", "bed", and "player/npc" and link all of  their movement in the same way it already is. The "bed" layer wouldn't need to be nearly as extensive as the "vehicle" layer is, it would only need one installation point instead of frame/internal/roof/etc like vehicles. This also ensures that you need at least one "vehicle" tile with engine/wheel/etc to move the thing. This could also make bridge-building viable, just make a static "bed".

This would definitely need some sort of core changes, but I don't think it would be a huge re-write per se. Most of the code would be able to be scavenged from other bits. Probably. Maybe. I think.

If I am not mistaken, people are simply 'part' of the vehicle once they are strapped in. Which is why stepping off the seat, or crashing while not strapped in causes FUn ^tm

Though if you are right, or can make yourself right. That could be the beginning of a whole new avenue of moding that CDDA would greatly benefit from. I think most of the community would greatly appreciate any advances in this area. It is one of the most asked for areas that hasn't been tackled yet, alongside nested inventories.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 13, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Oh also one more thing :p

Driving along and when the car is at an angle im able to be attacked by monsters because there is a so called gap in the car due to being turned.
this sucks so much and its been like it for ages any ideas how this could be fixed if at all? :)

Offline TheKobold

• Survivor
  • A mischievous little draconic bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
Only in game option is to double wall your vehicle, or put vehicle curtains on every thing so they that line of sight is blocked.

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
If I am not mistaken, people are simply 'part' of the vehicle once they are strapped in. Which is why stepping off the seat, or crashing while not strapped in causes FUn ^tm

Though if you are right, or can make yourself right. That could be the beginning of a whole new avenue of moding that CDDA would greatly benefit from. I think most of the community would greatly appreciate any advances in this area. It is one of the most asked for areas that hasn't been tackled yet, alongside nested inventories.

You're probably right, I think I was overcomplicating things anyway. Instead of some sort of existence layer, it could just be a new vehicle construction layer that can't be built on but doesn't take up any of the other layers.
On the subject of making myself right, I'm sadly not the hero we need nor the one we deserve. I only recently started understanding how vehicle engines, motors, and recipes work together and I still can't manage to make a bandolier with multiple types of ammo at once.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 13, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
But Squaggly! Say it isn't so Squaggly We need you Squaggly! We have faith in you! Don't let us down now!

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
But Squaggly! Say it isn't so Squaggly We need you Squaggly! We have faith in you! Don't let us down now!
lol I might need to borrow your copy of Rebuilding Civilization: Computers :P

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
Im afraid I don't know this referance. ??

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 13, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
It's a book from Cataclysm++ that I thought was in the main game lol. It raises your computers to 10

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 13, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Ah. You assume I have made any kind of distance into the actual game. When in reallity I am just a pro noob enjoying the starlight.

Offline Mantar

• NPC
  • NOMAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 14, 2017, 12:14:30 AM »
Driving along and when the car is at an angle im able to be attacked by monsters because there is a so called gap in the car due to being turned.
this sucks so much and its been like it for ages any ideas how this could be fixed if at all? :)

Fixing that pretty much requires the old vehicle code be rewritten. It probably needs to be done eventually, but skimming the code, it looks like an intimidating task to me.
 The only hacky way I could think to fix it right now would be to find a way to somehow disallow diagonal movement and attacks onto or off of car frames.