Author Topic: Good space games  (Read 18187 times)

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Good space games
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:00:51 AM »
So any game related to space, preferably open world, would be nice to post here!
My three: Kerbal Space Program, Prospector, and the fucking game with more impenetrable gameplay than dwarf fortress, Aurora

Offline Nickboom

• Survivor
  • Nickboom 2: The Return of the Nickboom
    • View Profile
Re: Good space games
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »
FTL just updated, get it now.
"Forrest's snuggle meter is running low. Jacklyn will have to get aggressive."

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
and the fucking game with more impenetrable gameplay than dwarf fortress, Aurora

I smell a challenge.

Update: My God, he's right. Even the installation process has a learning curve.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:53:38 AM by Hibou »

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »

Offline Alpha

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 03:14:29 AM »
Well asking for a "Space game* is sooooo damn broad... Do you have a specific genre you like I mean there is

Space combat Ex: Freelancer-There are many many many games similar to freelancer and an even larger mod community(look them up by genre).

4x space empire Ex: Homeworld, Or Even Spore.... While many see spore as a game aimed at children the Space adventures expansion adds a brilliant space empire

Space Simulators Ex: Kerbal space program( there are so few of these its sad, but there are a few that have gone unheard of, id recommend looking them up)

then theres the smaller ones like prospector (which had a recent revival for some time)

Id go on to name a lot of these but its much easier for you to go to google and do your own research as its all in writing there anyways.

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:18:48 AM »
Well just any good game related to space I am asking for, since it is already a small area, adding 4X and such to the specifics lowers the number of games even more.

Offline Alpha

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:17 AM »
Well just any good game related to space I am asking for, since it is already a small area, adding 4X and such to the specifics lowers the number of games even more.
Well if you really wanna have some fun and a little bit of amazement with the large world of the galaxy, try a mod that has been in active development since like 2003, or something like that, for freelancer called crossfire, but i do recommend you open the options files and lower the difficulty significantly for your first go, crossfire adds a whole new element of FUCK THIS GAME rage quitting, but the story and the general open worldyness is worth the play. It is absolutely amazing watching space move around you and such, hard to explain unless you have played it and seen it for yourself.

Hmmm, Id recommend trying sins of solar empire, maybe a little bit of galciv2(though spore so outdoes this game in every aspect)

ASCII sector is AMAZING if you got the the patience to handle it, Seeing as you play cataclysm that shouldn't be an issue.

X3 was alright, There are a few other 4x id recommend but meh as i said going to wikipedia or anywhere on google and simply typing "4x space games" would provide you 100x as much info and than i ever could.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:26:27 AM by Alpha »

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:28:07 AM »
Seeing as you play cataclysm
Implying I go more than 5 minutes and ragequitting due to my own stupidity.
But thanks I will check them out!

Offline warwolf0315

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:23 AM »
and the fucking game with more impenetrable gameplay than dwarf fortress, Aurora

I smell a challenge.

Update: My God, he's right. Even the installation process has a learning curve.
You won't know rage until you accidentally bombard earth with packets with minerals by accident because you removed your mass driver
[01:56] <warwolf0315> I hate invisible bears

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »
Try not knowing how to make the fucking cargo ship to put the first mass driver on the moon.

Offline Alpha

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Seeing as you play cataclysm
Implying I go more than 5 minutes and ragequitting due to my own stupidity.
But thanks I will check them out!

I wasn't intentionally implying anything, i was just saying that cataclysm and ascii sector share those roguelike qualities most casual gamers dont appreciate but the average roguelike gamer wouldnt even notice or care about, some even love those annoyances that many casual gamers hate. Like Ascii graphics, perm death, stupidity has no reward.

Offline Blackopsman9999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
Stupidity has the award of ignorance, which is the best gift of life.

Offline Mrnocamera

• Survivor
  • There is a lack of cameras here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups.
Who says that you need to be good at games, anyway?

Offline vultures

• Survivor
  • Reticulating Splines.
    • View Profile
    • The Causeway
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Until the EOY release of Elite:_Dangerous, it's only the X-Series games for me.
AND it's playable on Linux; doubt (20% chance imho) that could be the case with the newest in Elite series.
"On Labor Day the vultures disappeared. Nobody could remember when they had not circled early dawn.  Death's falcons.  Turning miles above the arid northwest reaches of Tribeca tethered by scent."

The Absent Vultures of Tribeca
by Douglas Anthony Cooper

Offline Drakasin

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
Galactic Civilizations II
It's like Civilization, but in space and better.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.