Author Topic: HUGLAGHALGHALGHAL  (Read 616325 times)

Offline mentos046

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: HUGLAGHALGHALGHAL
« Reply #4800 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
This

Memes are fine, discussion is good, memes in discussion is cancer.

What exactly constitutes a meme? Is it okay to just put something that I found funny?

I don't want to put this without being told that it's okay, but I also don't want to waste space with additional posts, so if this isn't allowed, then please understand that I'm not deliberately snubbing the rules. Also, it's possible that in 320 pages, this might have already appeared here, since there are giant mosquitoes in the game.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 21, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
This

Memes are fine, discussion is good, memes in discussion is cancer.

What exactly constitutes a meme? Is it okay to just put something that I found funny?

for simplicity sake a meme is anything meant to convey an idea. In this context, a picture worth its weight in words.

The idea is that in a discussion words are specific, and convey exactly what you are trying to get across in an intelligible manor, if you are any good at communicating.

Memes are vague, use few or no words and even then often bastardized so as to make them serve the purpose of the meme better than specifics. Which of coarse it to spread an idea as throughly as possible. Not a specific concept but a vague idea that can be different from person to person but maintain the overall whole of a shared idea among those aware of it.

Memes used in a serious discussion discredit the topic, playing it off as something to be poked fun of, and laughed about rather than being given critical thought. Simultaneously memes in a discussion create chaff in a straight conversation. Words can't chase down all the things wrong with a vague purpose picture as a counter argument.

TL;DR: Discussions are intricate ballets of argument and counterargument.
While Memes are ideas so vague they just blanket everything.
Both serve their own purpose but should not be used together.

memes are thought germs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
ugh.

Memes arent germs; theyre social normatives used to convey an idea in such a manner as to be aesthetically pleasing and thematically out of context enough so as to apply to a wide variety of situations.

They are the pinnacle of propaganda.
The highest lowest denominator.
The zenith of mob mentality.

the issues with them is that people are copycats, and overuse of memes restricts one's mental acuity.  You lose the capacity to think freely, out of the box, and concisely.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
ugh.

Memes arent germs; theyre social normatives used to convey an idea in such a manner as to be aesthetically pleasing and thematically out of context enough so as to apply to a wide variety of situations.

They are the pinnacle of propaganda.
The highest lowest denominator.
The zenith of mob mentality.

the issues with them is that people are copycats, and overuse of memes restricts one's mental acuity.  You lose the capacity to think freely, out of the box, and concisely.

Thanks. Thats a much better summation of memes than I could come up with off the top of my head.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Offline mentos046

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
That's relatively concise, and a good explanation for why "memes in discussion is cancer", but I'm still not sure whether I'm allowed to do this:

Post pictures that is, not glue hair in the shape of a moustache onto an elizabethan collar, but I might do that too, if it's an option.

Offline pisskop

• Survivor
  • So Noble he farts Helium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: August 21, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
That poor cat will never get clean.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 21, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »
like we were saying none will complain about the posting of pictures/ meme style pictures anywhere it is relevant unless you get into a serious discussion such that points and counterpoints are the style.

In point/counterpoint style discussions memes and basically any picture that is not showing something specific and relevant will likely be deleted with no other action being taken except for a post deleted comment.

Offline mentos046

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:56 PM »
Excellent. Thank you for the clarification, you two.

Now, no one start a serious discussion about gluing googly eyes onto things, please.

(click to show/hide)

Offline §k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:23 AM »
The eyes in the first picture make her look quite draconian.

Offline TheMightyHercules

• Survivor
  • How Mighty Are Ya?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: August 22, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline TooDAMNMuch

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
i feel this should be a legal form of vandalism provided you don't use bonding compound or permanent stuff.
1. disassemble lockers 2. disassemble broken console in the southeast corner 3. you now have the materials to craft a metal funnel, 60L tank and a brazier 4. find a second shelter or rip another 60L out of a car 5. you now have infinite clean water
people ask THAT often.

Offline mentos046

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »
That is possibly the least cuddly Teddy I've ever seen.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)