Poll

Which feature should get the most attention next?

Air-Drops (will try to add "factions and licences" for a sort of "reputation system" to unlock better drops and care packages.)
57 (54.8%)
Chemical system (break it up into categorised and grouped raw chemicals, so no more "aspirin to Gasoline" sort of transformations. Chemicals will be grouped on if they are flammable, provide psychometric stimulation etc)
26 (25%)
3D printing (will try to add more flexibility to the items to be created, and might make a "liquid metal" printer too increasing the usefulness of this feature by expanding it to make items and tools out of metals)
14 (13.5%)
Zero-point (if anyone finds these crazy yet powerful items fun I can create a few more, items with dual functionality or the ability to change one raw material into another for example.
5 (4.8%)
Make something new instead of refining the current features, leave comments and I'll do my best to work anything out :) I'm open to any and all suggestions
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: "Air-Drops", "Chemical Breakdown and Re-creation", "3D Printing", and more  (Read 25964 times)

Offline Daidalon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
What Ka is saying is without this mod, there are no airdrops. There are technically airdrops, but they are already generated and cannot be spawned with the player's doing.

If it helps, I literally was sleeping in a gun shop (aka, home base because tool room) at the time, and when my character woke up, the crates were in the frontlawn.

That is really odd. Maybe you didn't see them the first time...?

Once again im sorry but I appear to be slow on the uptake (maybe I just need sleep xD lol) but is he saying what I have here is a good thing or is he saying its really not worth carrying on? xD lol
He is just saying that either I somehow broke cataclysm by trying to inhabit a gun store, or I hurr durred pretty hard (wouldn't be the first time, if I'm being honest).
424D3E020000000000003E0000002800000040000000400000000100010000000000000200000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FFFFFF00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Offline Duros

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
He is just saying that either I somehow broke cataclysm by trying to inhabit a gun store, or I hurr durred pretty hard (wouldn't be the first time, if I'm being honest).

Yeah sorry I got that literally 2 minutes ago, lol :) maybe im just really tired but replys without quotes seem to confuse me tonight :P lol
"Also I'm sorry, but there's just some semi-random pattern associated with "Juices, Lard and sawn-off shotguns"...it sounds the title to a crappy B movie :P haha"

Duros, 15 sept, 2014

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Huh, an area you've covered already shouldn't get a new map_special.  Either one's there when you first arrive, or one's never there.  If you'd write that up and post in the Garage?

3D printing might be viable for mainline, but the rest are likely no-go.  Airdrops likely wouldn't be considered cost-effective (flying the plane costs fuel that would be better spent Elsewhere), we like abstraction in the crafting system, and we've specifically stated over in the Drawing Board that irradiating your food would be cost-inefficient at best.

Hi, erm, I really don't follow you in that first paragraph :S

This is really just a "basic" form of the mod im making, everything in the first post is currently in this version (V0.2) and the idea is to refine it through feedback after people use and play with it.

The air drop system I have right now is just to get the concept ironed out, the air drops would later require resources to be "sent" to these "factions" to unlock the ability to order air drops in the first place, such as fuel and raw materials to "buy your way" into their good graces to spend resources to send you these care packages.

As far as immersion goes I may make it so you need a "Supply rig" composed of a compressed air cylinder and a balloon so the items you offer can be picked up via sky-hook (batman style).

This is really just a proof of concept.

As for food irradiation after what I've looked up if you did it "quick dirty and dangerous" its not much more difficult that making a home made nuclear reactor (google David Hahn, he made a functional nuclear reactor out of old smoke alarms and a few extra bits and pieces in his shed when he was just 17 years old...and he wasn't in a post-cataclysm wasteland where there are army bases and science labs just down the road he could loot)

First paragraph was @Daidalon, and yeah, sorry to hear that.

You can make whatever you like for your mod; I saw "hey, new mod" and thought I'd do a quick checkup for mainline-eligibility.  That's all.  Skyhooking things likewise wouldn't work too well in mainline as the main issue (flying missions into/over the area is NOT cost-effective) remains.
The map_special supply drops were from back when the military was actively fighting.  That time is over now, and the best the military's doing in the area is MAYBE boots-on-the-ground guerrilla support (Acidia's "Old Guard" faction is the remnants of the federal government, and that's one mission-giving guy).

Crafting a reactor would require pretty decent skills and parts, I should think, but given how rarely minireactors spawn you could probably get a lot of popular support if you PR'd a crafting recipe (and the item, obvs) for homemade-reactor.  You'd need some cites for it, but that might work.

Offline Duros

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile

First paragraph was @Daidalon, and yeah, sorry to hear that.

You can make whatever you like for your mod; I saw "hey, new mod" and thought I'd do a quick checkup for mainline-eligibility.  That's all.  Skyhooking things likewise wouldn't work too well in mainline as the main issue (flying missions into/over the area is NOT cost-effective) remains.
The map_special supply drops were from back when the military was actively fighting.  That time is over now, and the best the military's doing in the area is MAYBE boots-on-the-ground guerrilla support (Acidia's "Old Guard" faction is the remnants of the federal government, and that's one mission-giving guy).

Crafting a reactor would require pretty decent skills and parts, I should think, but given how rarely minireactors spawn you could probably get a lot of popular support if you PR'd a crafting recipe (and the item, obvs) for homemade-reactor.  You'd need some cites for it, but that might work.

Ah right! Ok, in that case my first step is to apologise :) lol, I honestly thought it was a "swoop in and put this guy  down for posting" sort of deal :P lol, but now I know that not the case :D

I understand where you're coming from but that guy really made a reactor when he was 17 and the US Gov. swooped in and cleared the place with hazmat and took it very seriously.

I understand and truly appreciate the concept of absorbing mods into mainline, but making fun content for everyone is the reason im doing this, I didn't realise mods are looked into right away for mainline content :)

Once I've built up a decent system, fleshed it out, build and tweaked the structure and then acid dipped it to clean off the fleshy-rough edges I feel it would THEN be worthy of even being considered :)

..and er...I really really don't mean to nit-pick but if a player in this game can solo build a tank that's bigger than a building (possible right now in game) I don't see how an off screen faction consisting of dozens or hundreds couldn't botch together a small solar/fusion powered plane the size of a Cessna.

Also electrolysing simple water to give pure hydrogen gas is REALLY easy, here is a youtube video of a guy making a VERY simple machine that electrolyses water to get Hydrogen gas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqjn3mup1So
This separated hydrogen tube and oxygen tube is only a single step away from being a useful hydrogen fuel cell. I'm currently doing a master's degree in "Chemistry and Chemical Engineering" at University, trust me, this is cheap, effective and is SO EASY to make using scrap you can get hold of today.

.... Just saying :P lol

But I do understand that introducing a mod that uses "NPC Factions" is a can of worms that the mainline may not want to open just yet :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:53:49 AM by Duros »
"Also I'm sorry, but there's just some semi-random pattern associated with "Juices, Lard and sawn-off shotguns"...it sounds the title to a crappy B movie :P haha"

Duros, 15 sept, 2014

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
Ah right! Ok, in that case my first step is to apologise :) lol, I honestly thought it was a "swoop in and put this guy  down for posting" sort of deal :P lol, but now I know that not the case :D

That's my job.

..and er...I really really don't mean to nit-pick but if a player in this game can solo build a tank that's bigger than a building (possible right now in game) I don't see how an off screen faction consisting of dozens or hundreds couldn't botch together a small solar/fusion powered plane the size of a Cessna.

Oh god... I just had a horrible thought... NPCs decked out with armor and weapons on par with the player. Oh god...
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

Offline Duros

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile

That's my job.

Haha! xD

Oh god... I just had a horrible thought... NPCs decked out with armor and weapons on par with the player. Oh god...

Well, as this mod stands these NPC's are quite a ways away...(psst oh, and they don't really exist :P its just for the sake of immersion :P lol)

Duros, 15 sept, 2014

Offline Turtlicious

• NPC
    • View Profile
I'm requesting this of every coder that takes suggestions.

Vehicle in Vehicle nesting, or the ability to tow vehicles.

Offline Daidalon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Turt, thats outside of mod realm. that would require core code changes.
424D3E020000000000003E0000002800000040000000400000000100010000000000000200000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FFFFFF00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Offline Duros

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
I'm requesting this of every coder that takes suggestions.

Vehicle in Vehicle nesting, or the ability to tow vehicles.

Well I agree that this would be a fantastic feature, it is beyond me at this point, I've never jumped into actual coding and honestly I wouldn't call myself a coder (just FYI I don't class writing JSON and RAW text files as coding, even if it is the definition lol) and don't even know much about scripts or compilers, it's safe to say that my skill in that field is less than novice :P

Duros, 15 sept, 2014

Offline Reaper

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Balance damnit!
Or remake this stupid huge tons of food. Do this: raw food, flags like "can boil, can bark, can stew, seasoning, etc". Auto generate recipes in code from base raw templates in depending from weight, volume. Make result nutrition and enjoyable based on cooking skill and tools quality. Make synonyms for some food, and few result after crafting. For example: boiled meat gives boiled meat and meat broth. Boil vegetable in meat broth = meat broth with vegs. Add cut boiled meat to meat broth with vegs = meat soup with vegs. Etc.
Or make pockets on clothing. Do this: items consist not in player::inventory, but in weared cloth/armor and if you drop backpack you drop all that in it.
Air-drops, 3d printing? For what? You can open debug menu and select "wish item".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:18:01 AM by Reaper »
Sorry for bad english.

Offline Duros

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Balance damnit!
Or remake this stupid huge tons of food. Do this: raw food, flags like "can boil, can bark, can stew, seasoning, etc". Auto generate recipes in code from base raw templates in depending from weight, volume. Make result nutrition and enjoyable based on cooking skill and tools quality. Make synonyms for some food, and few result after crafting. For example: boiled meat gives boiled meat and meat broth. Boil vegetable in meat broth = meat broth with vegs. Add cut boiled meat to meat broth with vegs = meat soup with vegs. Etc.
Or make pockets on clothing. Do this: items consist not in player::inventory, but in weared cloth/armor and if you drop backpack you drop all that in it.
Air-drops, 3d printing? For what? You can open debug menu and select "wish item".

Does someone else want to reply to this :P lol

Duros, 15 sept, 2014

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
I love the airdrops and the future human profession and the idea for the chemicals.

Offline Daidalon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Balance damnit!
I'm going to break this down while I'm here:
1. Things like meat are completely generic, making recipe changes like that unnecessary. However, tools are being moved to have a "quality" in categories that determines if it is good enough for a recipe.
2. A chunk of meat is a specific sized chunk of meat taken from an animal. Animals already give varying quantities of chunk.
3. The crafting system currently doesn't support multiple outputs. That is a major CORE coding change that, last I checked, isn't even being worked on.
4. The devs are on the ropes about making storage like DF. As such, nothing will be doe on it until we get a consensus.
5. Many people don't like debugging, as it is the definition of cheating, but also find the game extremely difficult. Don't be a dick.

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
I'd change my vote to "make something new" but that's toooo laaate nooow.
I keep dreaming of a gun/weapon assembly screen. Length, weight, attachment points, materials... tricky, fun stuff. Everything can be modified, EVERYTHING CAN BE AWESOME!

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Balance damnit!
I'm going to break this down while I'm here:
1. Things like meat are completely generic, making recipe changes like that unnecessary. However, tools are being moved to have a "quality" in categories that determines if it is good enough for a recipe.
2. A chunk of meat is a specific sized chunk of meat taken from an animal. Animals already give varying quantities of chunk.
3. The crafting system currently doesn't support multiple outputs. That is a major CORE coding change that, last I checked, isn't even being worked on.
4. The devs are on the ropes about making storage like DF. As such, nothing will be doe on it until we get a consensus.
5. Many people don't like debugging, as it is the definition of cheating, but also find the game extremely difficult. Don't be a dick.

4 is possible but Gonna Take Some Doing and nobody's been up for it.  :-/