Author Topic: Gods of the Cataclysm (Challenge Thread)  (Read 85491 times)

Offline TheFlame52

• Survivor
  • Forumite Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Cataclysm (Challenge Thread)
« Reply #615 on: October 11, 2017, 01:06:09 AM »
Nijuni just did it. It used to be 50 before the skill change.
Quote from: Jarlaxle
All hail our new Over(powered) Lord TheFlame52
Quote from: Arek_PL
THEY CAN DAMAGE FLAME! WE ARE DOOMED!
Quote from: Jakers
Oh Marloss Man, you and your unstoppable rampages throughout the world.

Offline Nijuni

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
@TheFlame52:
Thank you very much, it is an honor. :)

@Ruttiger:
While the anti-grind features limit crafting skills to 10 ("This task is too simple to train your (x) beyond (y)."), it's still possible to get (some) combat skills to 20, as I did. Of course, there's anti-grind for those as well, which exponentially reduces skill gain if you use them too much in a short time, but after almost 2 in-game years (and few RL months) I finally managed to reach 20 in Melee.

I tested the anti-grind in my "Zombie Shooting Range" (on Bear-Trapped zombies) with a BB Gun and 100 BBs (with a character who hasn't used ranged weapons for over 1 in-game year) earlier today. With 1st 20 BBs he gained 0.2 in Rifles. After another 20, the skill only raised by 0.12. 3rd set of 20 BBs only raised the skill by 0.08, 4th by 0.05, and 5th by only 0.03. The skill-gain slowly recovers over time, so you can still slowly improve your combat skills by killing monsters as you explore, but you can't level them up by just spamming them over and over.

The challenges are also updated every now and then to reflect the changes to the game (and to combat possible loopholes and exploits), as Flame mentioned.

Offline Nijuni

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 13, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Okay, after playing some more with a rifle(wo)man, I can see where Ruttiger is coming from.

I'm not sure what's the cap for ranged weapons, but it seems that one has to use sniper rifles (or Sniper Conversion Kits) and a Scope to keep improving the skill beyond 10 or so.

The milestone is doable with melee skills, tho, so I don't think it needs "fixing".

Offline Ruttiger

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 13, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »
I really don't like that they reduce skill gain based on amount of skill recently gained.  It makes no sense when they already have the focus mechanic in place, it's just a hacky fix to keep people from gaining to quickly, that interacts poorly with their already incredibly steep curve on skill gains. 

I don't know what you mean with getting melee skills to 20, in more recent experimentals I'm told it's not really possible to make gains above 11.  I'm still slowly gaining at 9.  Very slowly.  At a craaaawl. 

Offline Nijuni

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 14, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
The anti-grind I mentioned (and the Rifles skill cap) is from the Stable version. I'm mostly playing 0.C Stable. Wait, was the "get a Skill to 40" changed to 20 for 0.C Stable or just the experimentals? I won't qualify for that one if we use the old milestone. :/

I downloaded a new experimental version and created few Freeform characters to test things out. While my melee Skills did raise beyond 10, a character with 11 in Piercing Weapons couldn't raise that skill any further when fighting zombies with a Combat Knife ("This task is too simple to train your piercing weapons beyond 11."). I was also able to raise Rifles and Marksmanship beyond 10 (using the RM51 Assault Rifle), but they stopped raising after they reached 11.00 ("This task is too simple"...).
So yeah, it does look like it's impossible to train skills beyond 11 in the most recent experimental versions.

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 14, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
I've gotten electronics to 13 in the current experimental(lvl 1-10 w/books and lvl 10-13 from crafting CBMs and Upgraded Solar Panels), and Rifles and Marksmapship to 10 after 2 in game years @ 90 day seasons(I'm lke 2% away from lvl 11 in Rifles and 17% or so in marksmanship till lvl 11). I used the crossbow at first and then switched to pneumatic bolt driver, which only has a range of 26 tiles, but have still been able to get to almost lvl 11 with it. I've still got a bit of journey to get to 20 though.

Congrats Nijuni!

Offline Nijuni

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 16, 2017, 12:49:52 AM »
Thanks. :)

For some reason, I thought those Electronics recipes were lowered to lv10. Is is still possible to get Mechanics over 11?

Offline NuG

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
I dunno, I've not gotten there yet unfortunately. I'd really like too get to where I could install a third engine, even if it's not really needed lol. Here is a quick look at my @ screen if your interested https://imgur.com/a/MlbIK, I believe I'm on summer of year 2 @ 90 day seasons, or is it 3 now. Is there a way to tell how long you've been alive besides just remembering?? I've only got 4900 kills, I've been taking it pretty slow.

edit: looks like my marksmanship and rifle skills are lower than I thought
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:04:24 PM by NuG »

Offline A Blitzkried of Butts

• Survivor
  • It's Blitzkrieg, not Blitzkried
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
I don't know if it would be a challenge or milestone but, run down and back up a frozen lab that has atleast 3 floors (Not counting ground level) naked.
EDIT: Oh and no internal climate control
Quote from: TheFlame52
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Quote from: pisskop
Z is the plane that jumps off the paper and into your face/desk
Full of sigs

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »
Also, does unarmed mean unarmed weapons or just the good ol' fisticuffs?
Granades are Russian roulette. One chamber has money, one has candy, two have blanks, one has rat-shot, and the last one has a bullet. You just got the bullet.
Full of sigs

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 18, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
Screw it, triple post.
I am going to acend to god hood... USING PRIMARILY LAUNCHERS also ENTIERLY PLAYED AT SCHOOL.
Full of sigs

Offline hdggDalton

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 19, 2017, 06:20:46 AM »
Hey Blitzkried... The editmodify button is there for a reason.

I wouldn't think playing it at school would be hard if it allows playing games, it's just all the people wondering how are you content with that game that's clearly from the 1990s (if you use ascii)
stop! sledgehammer time!

Offline Kryc8

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 20, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
Hey!
 I have a challenge submission.
What about driving through X tiles of forest without stopping and repairing?

Offline Mr. Moustache

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 20, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
Hey!
 I have a challenge submission.
What about driving through X tiles of forest without stopping and repairing?
I like it!
Am I supposed to put something funny here?