Author Topic: Testing the Tank Drone  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Sunflash

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: Testing the Tank Drone
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
The question then becomes: What is the minium 'size' vehicle required to kill a tank drone via crashing into it? Obviously a bike wouldn't work, but what WOULD it take?

Offline Dark Star

• Zombie Food
  • Welcome to the Apocalypse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
AN HUM-WEE!!! *^* xD xD but...it could be,it's well armored :3

Offline Arek_PL

• Survivor
  • NEVER ENOUGHT VOLUME IN INVENTORY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »
my hummer survived 3 landmines so maybe they can take few 120 mm HEAT rounds and some 5.62

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:18 AM »
Test: ramming it with a pickup truck
Results: The front of the truck is shot to hell. The battery is broken, too, so I won't be driving this back to base. But fixing a pickup truck is an easy half-day job for a mid-level survivor, so it's a good trade-off for eliminating a very dangerous enemy. Would recommend.

I recently added a "pickup truck", as we'd been using a much-larger-IRL "flatbed truck" to stand in.  Which were you driving?

(Asked because in latest experimental you shouldn't be able to move roller drums with the electromagnet CBM.  Too heavy.)

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Survivor
  • King Of Farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 03:41:46 AM »
my hummer survived 3 landmines so maybe they can take few 120 mm HEAT rounds and some 5.62 5.56
FTFY.
The king of farts has spoken, thank you very much sir I will proceed with my drug fueled rage against this book case
That would be a strange quote
"They've got us surrounded again, those poor bastards." - Abrams

Offline Exqupalaquateql

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
I got killed by it while driving in my car at 48km/h. I wasnt expecting it and it hit me with a 120mm shot while it was still offscreen. The car just exploded and I died.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 04:04:33 AM »
I got killed by it while driving in my car at 48km/h. I wasnt expecting it and it hit me with a 120mm shot while it was still offscreen. The car just exploded and I died.

Huh.  Tank drones have VIS_50 so you should see them first if there's no blockage in the sightline.  (After that, freak occurrences can happen where one party sees the other but not vice versa..)

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »
Hmmm so this is the thing that killed me in my last game.

Was just about to head into a house and see a trail of smoke head towards me then DEATH :(./

Offline jokermatt999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
I get that the game needs more challenging enemies for high level characters, but having tank drones just waiting around randomly on the roads kind of sucks. They feel like an extremely cheap death in that they can easily one shot newer characters, have crazy range, and even splash damage. If they were in the bottom of some military tank hangar they'd feel balanced but randomly wandering into one isn't fun at all.

Offline Jarlaxle

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 05:20:02 AM »
I get that the game needs more challenging enemies for high level characters, but having tank drones just waiting around randomly on the roads kind of sucks. They feel like an extremely cheap death in that they can easily one shot newer characters, have crazy range, and even splash damage. If they were in the bottom of some military tank hangar they'd feel balanced but randomly wandering into one isn't fun at all.

I said the same thing about zoose, minus putting them into a military hangar, until I figured tactics and strategy.
 When I first started play CCDA it was all I could not to die in the firs day with a cheat character, now I can get a regular survivor with regular good/bad traits and no starting skills and clear a whole town in a couple of days unless a tank drone shows up. It's all a learning process.
In my experience the game seems to prioritize destroying whichever will be most inconveniencing. EkarusRyndren

Offline Valpo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
You can still die to bad luck even if you are experienced. I discovered a chickenwalker around a house corner which killed me within 2 rounds in which i could not react. Life ain t always fair ;)

Offline SBombay

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Seeing how this thread is linked to from the Tank Drone Wiki page I felt it was OK to necro post to update some information.

As of 0.C 6399 experimental a stick of dynamite only does moderate damage taking a tank drone to about half health.  This was from a radio dynamite bomb on a RC car detonated while directly beside the drone.  So dynamite no longer one shots these guys.

Offline hexman

• NPC
  • no longer lurk here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
Seeing how this thread is linked to from the Tank Drone Wiki page I felt it was OK to necro post to update some information.

As of 0.C 6399 experimental a stick of dynamite only does moderate damage taking a tank drone to about half health.  This was from a radio dynamite bomb on a RC car detonated while directly beside the drone.  So dynamite no longer one shots these guys.

I think M72 LAW still does decent damage though I'm not sure. I prefer to leave them alone when possible instead of (possibly) destroying my truck by ramming them down.

And feel free to add some useful tips on the wiki page (http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Tank_drone). The wiki could use a little help though, it has been left out-of-sync for far too long.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:32:21 AM by hexman »
"I've played since the eighties! I've seen more dungeons than Torquemada! I've killed more explorers than malaria! I've kicked in more doors than the LAPD and I've opened more chests than a M*A*S*H unit! Crom help me, I have ascended a Tourist." - Rob Balder (NetHack Parody Song)

Offline mlangsdorf

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
I know I one-shotted a tank drone with an M72 LAW about a month ago with a then current experimental. You don't have to be completely accurate with the LAW either.

Offline Arek_PL

• Survivor
  • NEVER ENOUGHT VOLUME IN INVENTORY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:00 AM »
they use tier cannon agaist cars, infantry is attacked with other tank weapons so they are not that big threat too

for weapons i still suggest car ramming, there is a reason why my cars got thier vital components in back not front