Author Topic: CataTweaks [ 2014-12-19 ]  (Read 24491 times)

Offline Robik

• Survivor
    • View Profile
CataTweaks [ 2014-12-19 ]
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »
I decided to compile my own version of game with things I'd like to play with, that didn't get into the mainline. In this thread, I am going to share what features are different from main version of the game. Feel free to rip any part you like and think that could get into the mainline.

Branch (source code on Git) I plan to keep up to date with current experimental version (hopefully daily): CataTweaks

Clothing Layers:
(click to show/hide)

Container Inventory Management:
(click to show/hide)

Hybrid Inventory System
(click to show/hide)

User manual
(click to show/hide)

Compiled game for Windows tiles for people who don't want to compile game themselves - CDDA_CataTweaks
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:05:07 PM by Robik »
Bored? Try CataTweaks!

Offline Valiant

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: CataTweaks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Great changes and additions!

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
I like those changes!

Offline TheFlame52

• Survivor
  • Forumite Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Cool, a scabbard I can fit my Heavy Sword of the Broken City in!
Quote from: Jarlaxle
All hail our new Over(powered) Lord TheFlame52
Quote from: Arek_PL
THEY CAN DAMAGE FLAME! WE ARE DOOMED!
Quote from: Jakers
Oh Marloss Man, you and your unstoppable rampages throughout the world.

Offline FunsizeNinja123

• Survivor
  • Bleeding sand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
Cool, a scabbard I can fit my Heavy Sword of the Broken City in!
"Pretty, yep." John Candlebury, on herself.
"Dynamic NPCs turns this game into an ASCII DayZ." ~ChristopherWalken
"Ninjas are so tasty." ~Kevin Granade himself
"This ain't Terraria.  Your wings are not powered by the Soul of Flight." ~KA101
"Never has my snake been more solid..."

Offline Robik

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
Thanks guys.

Right now, I am working on the possibility to put things (not just liquids) into containers. Hopefully, I will survive the endeavor.
Bored? Try CataTweaks!

Offline jokermatt999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Sounds awesome. Why aren't you pull requesting this?

Offline Robik

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
Sounds awesome. Why aren't you pull requesting this?

I tried, wasn't awesome enough for people who can merge it into mainline. *shrug*
Bored? Try CataTweaks!

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
What we need for a container-based inventory is an inventory UI that makes it usable, otherwise it's too clunky.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Robik

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
What we need for a container-based inventory is an inventory UI that makes it usable, otherwise it's too clunky.

Right now, I am knee deep in AIM, I think that I can make it useable for container interaction itself.

For main inventory screen, I don't think I can make it good enough and I don't plan to. My goal is hybrid inventory system. Items that has pockets will give you general inventory storage for quick access (as it is now, shortcuts and all), but you will be able to put items into containers, without quick access though, you would need to pull that item out first.

Second step is adding container storage area to some wearable items, like backpacks, making them wearable containers. Such item could have some quick storage too. For example, backpack could have storage 5 (general quick access storage area, to simulate pockets on it) and container storage area 40.

Well, that is the plan, anyway.
Bored? Try CataTweaks!

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:58:26 AM »

Right now, I am knee deep in AIM, I think that I can make it useable for container interaction itself.

For main inventory screen, I don't think I can make it good enough and I don't plan to. My goal is hybrid inventory system. Items that has pockets will give you general inventory storage for quick access (as it is now, shortcuts and all), but you will be able to put items into containers, without quick access though, you would need to pull that item out first.
That's precisely why we don't have it yet, overhauling the whole inventory ui to work properly with containers is a monumental task, but nothing short of that is going to be worthwhile.  Manually putting things in containers and manually taking them back out again is simply a non-starter.
Second step is adding container storage area to some wearable items
Be aware that the item class already has a contents member that can hold arbitrary items, and it's already wired up to save/load.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire

Offline Robik

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
That's precisely why we don't have it yet, overhauling the whole inventory ui to work properly with containers is a monumental task, but nothing short of that is going to be worthwhile.  Manually putting things in containers and manually taking them back out again is simply a non-starter.

That's what general inventory storage is for, if you need something readily available, keep it in your pockets and not in your backpack (or other container). On the other hand, having container area that don't mess with your inventory can be quite beneficial.

Use case - Loot run
You are going to loot nearest town. All equipment you need is readily available in your chest rig, army pants and trench coat pockets (and holsters, sheaths, scabbards...) . But you also have your trusted rucksack you plan to put the loot in. If you find something truly useful, you will put it in your pockets for quick access, other things you plan to sort out after return from your trip.

In other words, your loot will not mix up with your gear, making inventory screen a mess in the process.

Be aware that the item class already has a contents member that can hold arbitrary items, and it's already wired up to save/load.

I am aware of that, it is just missing "contains" field from container definition. And I plan to add new field for containers, "max_size" to limit maximum size of items loaded into container (liquids and powders excluded), so you can't fill your jug with two by fours.
Bored? Try CataTweaks!

Offline Slax

• Survivor
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
Could give head encumbrance reduced hearing penalties if you wanna touch that up too.

Offline jokermatt999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
Honestly, I feel like the system that's in now would work better than having to deal with the tedium of containers.

Offline Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
There are use cases where adding manual insertion/extraction of items from containers would be a net benefit.  The problem is if that mechanism is generic, players can and will use it in situations where it's not a win, where it is in fact a huge loss, which means bad play experience.