Author Topic: What are you currently reading? [So we don't clog up Currently playing]  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Quin91

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading? [So we don't clog up Currently playing]
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2016, 06:26:39 AM »
Two books currently, Dune by Frank Sherbert as I call him, And Volume 1 of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Enjoying Hitchhikers much more than Dune, Despite all it's critical success it's a really boring read, I'm contemplating heavily in not reading it anymore.
I was on a 147 once in Snooker, But missed the 3rd black

Offline Rivet

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Rivet's Git profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2016, 06:36:17 AM »
Re-reading the Strugatsky brothers' excellent Roadside Picnic for the fourth or fifth time.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Offline jcd

• Survivor
  • the lazy one
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »
Currently re-reading the ASOIAF books. Not worthy of mentioning.
But before that i slowly read the very nice "The Long Earth" series by Pratchett and Baxter.

Two books currently, Dune by Frank Sherbert as I call him, And Volume 1 of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Enjoying Hitchhikers much more than Dune, Despite all it's critical success it's a really boring read, I'm contemplating heavily in not reading it anymore.
Having read all those books, i got to say that Herbert is(was) a crappy writer. But... his ideas are great and sometimes amazing.
This makes the Dune books hard-to-read, but with spots that really are worth it. On the other hand, his son's (Brian Herbert) books, are really easy to read, but contain almost nothing really interesting...

About Douglas Adams, he was my starting point on reading books from the english manuscript (non-translated). So i'd be biased.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:06:20 PM by jcd »

Offline jaked122

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2016, 05:53:47 AM »
Rereading Illium, probably going to go on to Olympos.
Clearly you need to be assimilated by the vehicle. Be the speed.

Offline Shopkeeper

• Survivor
  • Boy, have I got a deal for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2016, 05:34:37 AM »
The Art of War & Other Classics of Eastern Philosophy; it includes the Art of War (both with and without commentary), The Tao Te Ching, Confucian Analects, The Great Learning, The Doctrine of the Mean, and The Works of Mencius. Honestly, I picked it up on a whim at Costco while shopping for Christmas dinner and its a pretty good read. They had a bunch of other books including everything from Shakespeare to H. P. Lovecraft, so I might swing by and pickup a few more.

My brother also mailed me the first five volumes of Akame ga Kill! as a Christmas present...

Offline DeclanFrost

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
Finished devouring His Dark Materials over a feverish page-turning three days. Awesome, but plot holes.
Still down with the fever last week, I was delirious enough to allow my long-distance gf to manipulate me into tandem-reading (not sure if that's the term) Paper Towns. Got a helluva lot more emotionally invested in it than I'd thought myself capable of. Turned me into a bawling (not literally...) teenage girl with its ending. Went through the whole SPOILERS"Why couldn't they be together!" stage at the end.
Ironically there are more pimps in garages than wrenches.

Offline Litppunk

• Survivor
  • Laughing at death: the answer to impossible
    • View Profile
(click to show/hide)

Been reading just about anything with magic based physics recently. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Mans Fear from the King Killer Chronicles (still pending finish [because author decided to throw tantrum and not publish 3rd book] but has divergent story The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Reading them got me really hungering for more of the same to try and help me flesh out ideas for my own book with a magic set of Physics that interacts with other realms.

As such I am trying to get into the Wheel of Time series and a couple others as well including Sufficently Advanced Magic

another book with neat "Magic" that I read recently is The Contractor Series by Andrew Ball (still waiting for the 2nd book) but he also has a wonderful hidden story on a free literature site for anyone who likes his work. And a fanfiction of high quality by another author based on that work
(click to show/hide)

If anyone has any similar stories I can dive into, especially ones that get into the guts of the magic please PM me.
Feeds both of grandpas wolves, and but doesn't let them fight; Then saves the car full of cash sells it and starts an orphanage, anti-railroad-tying shenanigans-organization and invests.

Online Kevin Granade

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • I code dead people.
    • View Profile
My top picks for this sub(-sub-sub-sub)-genere are:
The Dragon and the George: It's a bit more on the escapist side of things, but fun to get into. The series is pretty consistent IIRC.
Master of the Five Magics: it's totally built around the magic systems, and is really the OG of this subgenre (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics#In_popular_culture) I give the sequels a pass, the author basically tried to make lightning strike twice (and then again, oof) by reusing the same formula for the story, but IMO he didn't recapture the magic (pun intended) of the first book.
Personal note, Master of the Five magics easily places on my top 10 favorite books.
Recluse series.  This is a sprawling world-building epic delivered in discrete stories that each explore some area of the world and delve a bit into its magic.  It's main strong pint IMO is that it stays consistent throughout, so you really feel like you're learning about an alien world.
Its like a fun family cookout, except your family is burning in flames while trying to eat you. -secretfire
I'm more excited than a survivor on meth and toast'ems. -Nighthawk
The the giant wasp is slammed through the zombie brute!

Offline Ferodaktyl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
i'm on the third book on "Prince of Nothing" series by R. Scott Baker. It's quite convoluted plot-wise, quite philosophically and psychologically in-depth, brutal, but it lacks in explaining its magic. Also i like the many povs explored in the book.   

Offline Rot

• Survivor
  • Fresh like my groceries.
    • View Profile
Webcomics i've been reading:

Gone with the BlastWave, Romantically Apocalyptic, Prequel.

I wish prequel and GWTBW updated more often. Also I read a bit of homestuck and kinda forgot to read through it.

Actual books: All quiet on the western front

I just finished it, and in my opinion, I really liked it.

Now we're getting into the manga/light novel territory, i'm a huge nerd so it's alright.

Light novels: The only one i'd really recommend at the point is Mushoku Tensei, which is about a fat, jobless NEET who died due to saving someone's life and gets reborn into a world of magic and swords with all the memories of his past self. When he IS reborn, he promises to never be arrogant, and always work hard. The story is not really cliche for it's genre, and is actually really really original. I highly recommend it, it took me about a couple months to finish the main story from start to finish.

Manga: Mushoku Tensei, Berserk, Ubel Blatt, and Tenkuu Shinpan to name a few. My favorite genres are "apocalyptic", zombie, and fantasy novels. If you're looking for a great zombie manga, I recommend Apocalypse no Toride.

First this knife, then, the World!