Author Topic: The Wiki Thread  (Read 24226 times)

Offline BMacZero

• Wiki Contributor
  • Zombie Food
    • View Profile
    • Games by Brian MacIntosh
Re: The Wiki Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
Hi all.  I just got into this game recently.  I wanted to let you know about (and ask for feedback on) a possible reorganization of the way items are handled on the wiki.

Like the C:DDA wiki, the wiki for Nethack, another roguelike game I like, uses index pages that have large lists that overview a lot of items (see the weapons page), but each item also has its own page for more detailed information (like the quarterstaff page).  I think this is a very useful format that lets you include a lot more handy information on particular items.

I cooked up a bot that can make the first part of this conversion easy, and I demoed what this might look like on the melee weapons page and the rock page.

I've been discussing this on the main page talk, you can join us there or here.
I found a lab, but I had no luck in finding ID cards. So I took the first working car and filled it with gasoline. Then I named it "Science ID Card" and rammed into the lab's wall with it. Felt pretty good.

Offline GlyphGryph

• Administrator
  • Survivor
  • Kreaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 10:30:35 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline kenoxite

• Wiki Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
Good then. And welcome to the forum, BMacZero :)

Offline Aggrons_shell

• NPC
  • Post Quality: Highly Unstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »
I'm adding a bit to the guides, hope it's good stuff!
Z~@
And you thought Archery was OP?

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Anyone want more in the Advanced Guides?  I've some notes on Triffid HQs and combat-mutations.

Offline Benedict

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
Definitely put it up there!

I've got exams at the moment, and have done for the past month or so, so the guides haven't progressed much at all since I started them. I may go and do a total re-edit of all the new material (nothing major - just to keep it in good format) but having material in there already is 90% of the work done.

Also if you wanna format it in an ingenious way, then that's 100% of the work done :P
Think you can write a good guide to DDA?

Please add to the guides on the wiki: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Triffid HQ page is up.  Not sure whether/where to file the Martial Arts: Practical Tips (what do all these stats actually mean???) page.

I'd like to give a quick shout-out to 60.242.66.41, who helped complete the Mines advanced guide.  Thanks for helping out!

Offline kenoxite

• Wiki Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
Not sure whether/where to file the Martial Arts: Practical Tips (what do all these stats actually mean???) page.
That would fit in the "Guides" category.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »
Not sure whether/where to file the Martial Arts: Practical Tips (what do all these stats actually mean???) page.
That would fit in the "Guides" category.

As opposed to the Advanced Guides.  OK.  I've started a discussion thread to gather input over in the Bunker.

Offline kenoxite

• Wiki Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Yes, I think it'd fit best there. The Advanced guides category was originally created to store end-game and spoilerific guides there (the ones you've done already), which I think your MA one would be exempt of, right?

About the thread, I'm afraid I can be of little help. In any case, if there's little or no feedback just go ahead and publish it as you see fit.  Other than dodge I don't think anything else was changed since 0.2.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 03:54:15 AM »
OK, it's live.  Thanks, kenoxite, and good job catching the spammers.

Update: The basic Martial Arts page was repeatedly glitching out (I like to have it open as a reference).  Not sure what's up.

As for that in-game character font, it's not silly of itself but looks weird since that's the only place I've seen it used.  Perhaps using it on other pages might help, but looks like enough markup that I'm not likely to bother with it.

And..."Weather changed to Thunder Storm!  Stop using internet because Verizon is a lousy ISP and their service craps out in the rain? [Y/N] (case sensitive)?"  Likely Y.  Be well, all.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:42:30 PM by KA101 »

Offline BMacZero

• Wiki Contributor
  • Zombie Food
    • View Profile
    • Games by Brian MacIntosh
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »
Is there someone with the ability to do page moves on the wiki?  I think the advanced guides should be moved and given some prefix, like Guide:Strange Temple.  The reason being that three of the guides (Strange Temple, Marloss Berry, and Fungal Bloom) now share their names with less spoilery item and terrain pages that differ only by case (Strange temple, Marloss berry, and Fungal bloom).
I found a lab, but I had no luck in finding ID cards. So I took the first working car and filled it with gasoline. Then I named it "Science ID Card" and rammed into the lab's wall with it. Felt pretty good.

Offline kenoxite

• Wiki Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
Done.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:01 AM »
Thanks, kenoxite.  Sorry about the Power Armor problems--not sure what happened to the hints, I don't believe I deleted them.

Offline kenoxite

• Wiki Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
Sorry about the Power Armor problems--not sure what happened to the hints, I don't believe I deleted them.
No problem. And no need to apologize. It's not a big deal at all and something bound to happen in a wiki environment. In fact, it was actually my fault. I should have reworked that section myself before, but I guess I liked it too much. The hints, that was BMacZero's bot. Each item has its own page now, so they aren't  needed for the most part.

The wiki is becoming more useful and deep each day. Great work guys. And because I think the work done over there isn't praised enough, endless thanks to all who have and keep contributing, particularly to those who started this whole wiki thing with Whale's version and which still is about 80% of the current content of the DDA one (with some tweaks and updates here and there, but it still is basically their work).