Author Topic: [OOC] [Signup] Twin Suns Supply: Still Haven't Made That Title (Inactive)  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
Twin Suns Supply: Something, Probably
also known as the gritty version of delfino plaza

The Current Situation

Welcome to Livma-6, a beautiful island planet harboring a number of archipelagos that nearly two billion humans and a host of unique plants and animals called home. But, two years ago, a mysterious virus appeared on the planet that turned any manner of life into bloodthirsty mutants. Within a few days, the entire planet was reporting heavy losses and military forces were being ordered to pull out. A planet wide quarantine was put into effect. Two weeks later, the last known survivors stopped reporting.

In the present day, July 12th, 2215, a TSS passenger ship carrying a number of company executives was ripped violently out of warp near the planet, and at the last known position it was crash landing near Ward Cove. A rescue team has been dispatched, and twelve hours after the crash, it's arrived at Livma-6.

Their mission is simple: Land on the planet, locate the crash site, retrieve any survivors, and get out. However, there are some complications. The crash site is crawling with malfunctioning robots, angry wildlife, and the ever-not-friendly mutants. To make matters more interesting worse, there are survivors on the planet that the rescue team isn't aware of. (As far as they know, everyone's dead.) The rescue team can't allow any contaminated substances, or organisms, onto their evacuation vehicle, but let's face it, if you lived on a post-apocalyptic planet covered in mutants, you'd want to leave too, and the evac ship is their only ticket off planet.

Let the fun begin.

(click to show/hide)

Mechanics: The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math
Mainly I'll just be rolling monsters'/players' evasion stats against the attacker's accuracy stats. Accuracy will differ between weapons, and they all have effective ranges. That means that hitting someone 500 feet away is easy with a rifle and hard with an SMG, but at 5 feet the SMG is superior. With a rifle, you'd have an easier time just whacking them.
Speaking of whacking: Damage! Armor helps a lot with reducing damage on cutting/piercing attacks like metal swords or bullets, but there's a lot of different types of damage to worry about. Armor might protect against bullets and lasers, but there's not much you can do against being electrocuted or hit by a supersonic cinderblock. Be prepared to take some and give some.

All stats are going to be measured in "relative" terms. A gun won't have +4 accuracy, it'll have "Very accurate" accuracy. Weapons won't deal 12 damage, they'll have "Very likely to blow someone's arm off." damage. This system is in place because numbers are for nerds, I like writing silly phrases, and in real life damage isn't measured in numbers, it's measured in shrapnel.

For skill checks, if you're good at it you won't fail. If you're not good at it, you'll have a hard time. If you're bad at something, don't try it. Whatever you're working on will blow up in your face. Yes, even if you say you're bad at first-aid. That is the one and only outcome. Wear goggles.
(click to show/hide)

Monsters: Aah!
By request, there will be mutants. They're more interesting than zombies and that means that new, innovative combat techniques are going to be employed. Fighting a flesh ooze is different than fighting a corpse, and mutant teeth tend to be sharper than the rotting human variety.
But mutants aren't all! The future might have really nice beaches, but that doesn't mean you're safe from sand worms. Robots, pissed wildlife, and even talking plants will all be there trying to kill you. Why? Because variety is the spice of life, my friend. Also it's because different weapons do different amounts of damage depending on it's target, and you guys should get a chance to capitalize on that. I won't say exactly what weapons damage what, just use your noggin to figure it out, or be very surprised when that plant mutant is reduced to green, grassy mist by your new pistol.

Perks: It sounds like a personal problem
You're all humans, but each group comes from a different background and the gameplay will reflect that.
Rescue team members are highly trained mercenaries. They shoot better, run harder, and jump higher than anyone under normal circumstances. They also start with very high grade equipment and body armor, courtesy of the multi-trillion credit corporation that is funding the operation.
Survivors might have been normal citizens two years ago, but to make it this far you've got to be of a different breed. They'll have higher resistance to pain, and take more hits before going down. They also are more quiet when moving around and are harder to sneak up on, a skill gained through years of avoiding dangerous mutants. They'll start with lower grade equipment and armor, because they've had to scavenge what they've got.
VIPs don't really have much going for them, aside from their time as a TSS executive. They work really well under pressure, and when a stressful situation presents itself, like being ambushed by ten foot tall mutant seagulls, they will run and react quicker than most others in the same situation. As an extra, things that recognize people, like robots or fingerprint scanners, are much more obedient towards a high ranking corporation member than to some guy off the street or a hired gun.

Infection: Incredibly deadly diseases and you
Survivors are the only people that are immune to the virus because of the natural genetic immunity they were born with out of sheer luck. There has been no vaccine created as far as anyone knows, and the signs of active infection are obvious throughout the city. Lucky for those un-immune, the disease only completely turns dead people. Probably. However, if someone is bitten or infected fluids enter their bloodstream through some other way, they will become sick.
Being sick slows a person down, makes them sneeze and cough, and occasionally causes hemorrhaging in the eyes and lungs. As the sickness advances, people may start to experience mutations. For the most part, it would be things like weird bumps and change in skin color, but other times you might end up with an extra eye or long tail. How is this decided? Well, every time you post while being sick, I roll a die. If you get unlucky, or maybe lucky, you mutate. Don't worry, the chance is small. There is no known cure, but with some know-how and a lot of luck, you could make one.

(click to show/hide)

Okay, I'm ditching the class system in favor of even more flexible characters, and so I don't have to worry about giving appropriate loot. Weapons are not included in the sheet; you'll get them in the intro.

Character Sheet: The only thing that everyone's guaranteed to read

Name: (Usually it's two words, maybe a third word in between the two. Usually.)
Appearance: (Face, hair, scars, that kind of thing. Survivors, if you have any mutations, put them here. Nothing too crazy.)

Faction: (Be it Survivors, Rescue Team, or VIPs. Other positions include Ship AI, and dog.)
Skills: (Pick three pretty broad things. VIPs, stick "Weapons Training" here if you want it. Everyone else is good with all weapons, but can have a specialization if you so desire.)
Armor: (Futuristic stuff for the rescuers ((hardsuits n' stuff. full helmets are welcome and recommended)), cool apocalypse gear for survivors. road sign breastplates and stuff.)

Backstory: (Optional, but it'd be nice.)
Other: (Anything else remarkable about your character, or just stuff you wanted to add. Fears, ticks, and personalities can go here.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:24:38 AM by Hibou »

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] [Signup] Twin Suns Supply: Still Haven't Made That Title
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
REEEESERVED.
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Offline Jakers

• Survivor
  • Surviving - With Class!
    • View Profile
    • Lone - My illustrated suggestion game.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:39 AM »
This spot is mine. MIIIIIIIINEEEEE!!!

Lorknis

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
My body is ready

Name: Holland Sheldrake
Appearance:
Faction: Survivors
Skills: [Melee] [Geology] [Explosives]
Armor: Mining Suit [While not as tough as the Evac Teams armor, it's designed to stop heavy, flying rocks from killing you.], Full Helmet w/Gasmask.
Backstory: Holland had recently immigrated to the planet a month before the doom and gloom started. He worked with an off-planet mining company and dug for various minerals. Before this, he was an asteriod miner.
Other: (Anything else remarkable about your character, or just stuff you wanted to add. Fears, ticks, and personalities can go here.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:29:27 AM by Lorknis »

Offline Rhodri

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »
Name: Waylon Ashford
Appearance: 5'11. Has messy, long brown hair, hazel eyes, and an awesome, scruffy beard.
Mutations: Claws of doooooommmm

Faction: Survivor
Skills: [First-Aid] [Sewing] [Lockpicking]
Armor: Welding mask, bike helmet, leather jacket, cargo pants, boots, scrap-metal arm/leg guards, scrap-metal reinforced leather gloves.

Backstory: Waylon used to be a tailor on this planet, sewing floral shirts for tourists to buy. Then shit happened.
Other: He's a sociopath. That's might be kinda-maybe-interesting-ish.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:38:07 AM by Rhodri »
Steam name is FlyingSpaceRhino

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:36:16 AM »
Side note about factions: We really need a few rescue team members and a few survivors. I can NPC-ify the VIPs, and the AI, and even the dog, but this RP won't make it off the ground without a few players in each group.

Sider note: VIPs are still welcome though, and if you do play as one I'll love you forever. F O R E V E R.

Offline Exodus

• Survivor
  • Bat King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »
Name =The Fixer, Marcus Sands
Age=37
Appearance=Black hair combed over im a fancy cowlick,  he is fair skinned and has steely green eyes.
Faction= Rescue team
Skills=Revolvers, Grapple kills, Hostile analysis amd response.
Armor=Wears some strange gasmask which appears to have an HUD on the lenses. He wears a suit of woven carbom fibre and has a pair lf titanium alloy gloves, held up via pistons connected under his arms. His right glove appears to be a crushgaunt of some sort.
Backstory= Marcus has worked with the companyfor years albeit always in shady circumstances, he is a gun for hire and not one liked by any law enforcement. Although there isnt enough evidence to put him on trial it is highly assumed that he was the cause of multiple competitors unfortunate demises. He has been nicknamed The Fixer for this sort of work and he doesnt play nice with others, preferring to work alone. But the pay for this job was good so he would just have to put up with idiots.
Other=I hope you dont mind the armor, a crush gaunt for reference is a glove which through use of pistons allows for several times its own weight to be applied as direct crushing force to target.

Offline Hibou

• Survivor
  • Arguably dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 03:34:13 AM »
Upon further consideration of the condition of this forum's community, I'm gonna put this RP on ice. I might revive it after this is all cleared, if it ever does, and there's still people around willing to have some mutant fun.

UPDATE: I have committed the highest act of treason moved this over to the dissenter's alternate forum. PM me if you're still interested and I can link you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:08:56 AM by Hibou »