Poll

Tone and Seriousness

Full-on Western Simulation. [Realistic in everyway]
4 (50%)
Middle ground. [Include some fantastical elements here and there.]
1 (12.5%)
A Western Folk Tale. [The 'issues' of the west are pretty much muted, with only the tale of revenge taking center stage.]
0 (0%)
This option is just for the GM, so he doesn't have to click the view results on the poll.
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: [OOC/Discussion] Red Rivers: The Western RP [Family History!]  (Read 10491 times)

Vulnus

Re: [OOC/Discussion] Red Rivers: The Western RP [Family History!]
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »
Yeah I knew you guys were joking.
Also, since I feel like I need to go ahead and put this out there: I am not speaking as mod unless I specifically say I am.(I.E.: As Mod, *Puts on Moderator Cap*, etc) Generally I'm just posting as a fellow DM and Player, not as moderator. I've noticed a few instances where it appeared that people thought I was talking as a mod when I was just talking as a player/DM/community member.
TL,DR: If I don't say something like 'As Mod' or otherwise make it clear I'm speaking as the Moderator I'm nine times out of ten speaking as just a fellow community member.

ajwilli1

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
Dealing with some delicate issues there AJ. Best of wishes for the RP, and it sounds like you've put thought in how you're going to deal with them.

I know and I've chewed it over for awhile. That's also why I'm putting up the poll if people didn't want to have a more serious RP venture out into the west. I remember reading history books back in California, about some claim jumpers could get away with murder and taking your property simply because you were a different race or belief.

Along with most violent shoot-outs occurring over race and other such trivial nonsense.

And have enough sense to not turn everything into a "pity these people" or "laugh at these people" kinda approach. If you free slaves, people might hate you for it. If you help the claim jumpers (like a hypocrite), people might hate you. Some people you meet could be runaways, a inter-racial couple trying to escape being chastised, or simply regular folks not looking for trouble.

I'm not doing this only for immersion, I think it could be viewed as something along the lines of "look how far we've come" in terms of society. While still looking and seeing much hasn't changed at all. So yeah, that's pretty much it.

AJ, I have a question, will there be a part were other people can join?

Yeah, if a sibling dies. The group could potentially hire you to join the posse and get revenge. But I'm keeping it to only three people, for the sake of me running this thing.

Offline Jakers

• Survivor
  • Surviving - With Class!
    • View Profile
    • Lone - My illustrated suggestion game.
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »
-snip-

Good to know!

Also, one more question AJ: will there be some sort of HP/Injury count like 'R.LEG: SHOT FOOT, BLEEDING, or will it just be a literal: 'you've been shot in the god-dang foot! Go sort it out!' kind of thing, if that makes any sense.

Vulnus

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:04 PM »
As another note, I need to stop looking at my posts, then editing them because I just realized a better way to word it.

ajwilli1

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:23 PM »
-snip-

Good to know!

Also, one more question AJ: will there be some sort of HP/Injury count like 'R.LEG: SHOT FOOT, BLEEDING, or will it just be a literal: 'you've been shot in the god-dang foot! Go sort it out!' kind of thing, if that makes any sense.

It'll be a mix:

{R. LEG} [Your foot is spitting out blood like a reverse-spittoon in a saloon!]

Cleaning my house, once that's done the thread will be up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:16:27 PM by ajwilli1 »

Offline Furaotic

• Survivor
  • Version 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »
I'm here today! Hah!
#79BAEC
"Elle get under the bed before the Nazis get you."
((YEAH, TEAMWORK, YEEEEEEAAAAAAH [guitar riff]))

ajwilli1

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »
Two votes for the more serious western RP, so we'll go with that. And speaking of which, since Furaotic and most everyone here is ready. We shall begin. Writing up the intro, fetching the foreboding music, and writing up your parental figures.

Offline Dec

• Survivor
  • Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:17 AM »
OVERPROTECTIVE BROTHER LORKNIS GOOOO!
"'Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!'"

Lorknis

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:53 AM »
OVERPROTECTIVE BROTHER LORKNIS GOOOO!
You liked that opener eh? I'm sure it'll only get better from there.

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
  • Waiting for the tide to get low
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »
I'd like to get in on this if possible later. I'll be upfront, I've never RP'd anything and kinda have a habit of getting drunk and forgetting about this sort of stuff. But I'm pretty familiar with the era in question and this is a cool idea!

Edit edit: As an example of kinda drunk, I am so right now and apparently missed the character sheet -copy and pasted someone else's character and edited that. Oops. Will rewrite tomorrow.

Name: Franklin Redarrow
Appearance: Frank is 6" and about 180 LBS - tall and lanky to the point of stereo-typism. Brown hair, green eyes. When he's clean, he looks like he's got a great tan going on. He ain't never clean.

Wearing: Sombrero, Pancho, Old Vest, Worn Pants, Really Worn Boots
Holster: {Horse Scabbard For Rifle}{Hip Pistol}
Weapon: {1848 Walker Revolver} {1876 Winchester Repeating Rifle}
Ammo: {24 .44 cal balls, plus powder, lube, and percussion caps for 24 shots} {15 rounds .45-75}
Inventory: {.44 cal bullet mold}{Flint and Tinder}{Knife}{Powder Horn}{World's Most Ornery Horse}{Enough dough for either another drink or a room for the night}{Acme Brand Grade A Cure All Super Tonic, Now With 10% More Cocaine!}

Skills: {Shootin'}{Smithin'}{Scalpin'}{Ballroom Dancing}
Traits: {Tough}{Mean}{Mercenary}{Mixed Race}{Drinking "Problem" (Old West PTSD)}{Theoretical Knowledge of High Society Manners}{Jaded}{Not A Great Horseman}{Hooked On Tonics!}

Childhood: Grew up in a Cherokee camp till the U.S. cavalry showed up and killed everyone. Killed my pa for bein' a white man with a red wife, killed my ma for bein' red. Took me to the city to live at the orphanage 'cause it weren't my fault I was a bit'a both. Learned some fancy society-type skills till I were old enough to work, then got apprenticed out to the local smithy. Didn't last long, didn't like the rules, an' sure as hell didn't like breakin' my back for no pay. Joined up with Sam Houston's Dragoons, fought the Meskins for a spell durin' that dustup. Been runnin' bounties both white and red since then, till I heard about the gold further out west. I ain't one for scrabblin' in the dirt, but there's gotta be a buck to be made out there for a feller like me.

Personality: While he wouldn't kill you on a whim, he probably would for a silver dollar. Not for lack of morals, but more because he's apathetic to them and more than a little bitter about life, not to mention that a silver dollar ain't no plug nickle. Capable of being polite as an east coast dandy when the situation calls for it. The situation, however, is usually quite a bit simpler to resolve with a little violence. Goes by Redarrow because Franklin is (to him) a sissy's name.

What will your posts be like?: Caught up to the Dennings boys right after the noon sun. I watched them fellers rip up the wagon train for a couple'a hours, killin' anyone fool enough to try and make a break outside the circle. Doin' them a favor, really - all the horses looked long dead, and the desert can kill a man much more slow an' ugly than a .44 ever will. Once the men were all dead, least the ones that weren't too sick to fight, them bastards moved in like a buncha buzzards. Haulin' the womenfolk back to camp, I figured - weren't nothing else worth takin' from these end of the line folks. All the better, they wouldn't be keen to me coming up on them in the dark.

Once they hightailed it, I tracked them back to the river they were set up near. Guess all the killin' musta satisfied their primal needs - didn't have no time for the women, and 'stead got set about getting rip-roarin' drunk. Was only 'bout an hour after dark that the last of them sacked out, most of 'em didn't even bother to make it back to the tents 'for they fell over - guess all that hollerin' and shootin' tires a feller out. Easy pickens. I loaded up my ol' '76, and took up a point on a little ridge 'bout 100 yards back - little risky, but I didn' see no rifles while they were knockin' over the wagons, and it'll be a cold day in hell before some drunk bandito can make that kinda shot with a wheelgun. Got all settled in, then drew a bead on the feller I figured to be the night guard - knackered as the rest, but by my count, he seemed like the only one who'd had the sense of mind to pass out before emptyin' his pistol in the dirt in celebration of the victory 'gainst a bunch of poor, sick pilgrims. Front sight on the center mass - the shot rang around like a thunderclap, and that big ol' .45 slug put him outta service real quick. Followed it up with two more slugs in two more guts right quick, addin' a little lightinin' to the thunder, got myself rewarded with two more dead boys. Musta taken 'bout five minutes for the other three to sober up and get outta their tents, and far less time by my reckonin' to put them back to sleep. Shit, I didn' even have to reload.

Slung the rifle up on Eris*, who fer once stayed put for the whole fight, and pulled my pistol - pistol's only good for when you get foolish and set yer rifle down, but it does swing a little easier in a tight space. After checkin' the caps, I edged my way real slow down to the tents 'less one of these bumpkins managed to smarten up enough to stay inside while the "fight" was happenin'. After pokin' through the first two, I let my guard get easy and straight on walked into the third tent. Got greeted by something real dirty an' hairy comin' at me with a little toothpick of a blade - front sight, center mass put an end to that something fast. Seven for seven, if only I could hold that luck at the poker table. Once I gotta good look at it, I realized it were one of the women - dunno if she was their cooky, or if she'd just been stuck there a while and figured me for a Denning. Well, ain't no time to feel bad - she shoulda known better than to try anything with that little blade anyway, and I was a might kinder to her than these bandit boys woulda been.

Freed up the other women after havin' a drink of cheap liquor - guess them bastards didn't manage to get through it all.

"Thank you kind sir! I don't know what we would have done had you not come along! It seems..."

I cut her short. "Hell, lady, don't thank me. Thank these dead fellers here for pissing someone off enough to put a $100 bounty on their heads, or I'd be back at the saloon." With that, I turned away from them women, and went to work cuttin' hair.

*Frank's horse

Just as a note, I realize that an 1876 rifle was made well after the gold rush era. The logic behind giving this fella a fancy, powerful, anachronistic shooting iron with a somewhat absurd (in RL) magazine capacity for it's time is twofold: ya'll are running pistols that (based on the fact they take cartridges) were also made well after the gold rush era, and the pistol he is equipped with, while powerful, is a relatively period correct cap-and-ball gun that takes about six minutes to load, occasionally jams under recoil, and doesn't always go "bang" when intended if it gets too dirty or rains - kind of a disadvantage should the rifle get away from him, not to mention that being addicted to a bunch of drug-based tonics probably makes it hard to him to aim a pistol anyway. Also, if you haven't ever picked up a walker before, they are about six pounds and about a foot and a half long - I personally can't run with one on my belt, and doubt I could swim either. If this is an issue (or having two guns is against some rule I missed), I can change the armament up to the norm.

I voted "2" for pretty much the above reason^ Period correct everything doesn't seem as fun as general "Wild West" type stuff, though I'd go for one in the case of social issues and setting. Not really offended by slavery and racism taking place in a fictional story set during the times when slavery was taking place and racism was everywhere. To me it would seem a little more immoral to ignore it and pretend it never happened.

edit: Added bold because wall of text. Actual posts will be shorter.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:03:18 AM by ApatheticExcuse »
Sometimes I think I'd have an easier time surviving Cataclysm IRL than in game.

ajwilli1

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 10:47:55 PM »
Sounds good Apathetic, once one of the players die, you'll defiantly be in the RP. But there is one problem though. The RP takes place in the year 1849, and you have a rifle from 1876. Unless you're somehow a time traveling cowboy, no on the rifle partner.

Also I'll be updating this weekend, hopefully everyone will be around by then.

Offline ApatheticExcuse

• Survivor
  • Waiting for the tide to get low
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 04:26:58 AM »
Just as a note, I realize that an 1876 rifle was made well after the gold rush era. The logic behind giving this fella a fancy, powerful, anachronistic shooting iron with a somewhat absurd (in RL) magazine capacity for it's time is twofold: ya'll are running pistols that (based on the fact they take cartridges) were also made well after the gold rush era, and the pistol he is equipped with, while powerful, is a relatively period correct cap-and-ball gun that takes about six minutes to load, occasionally jams under recoil, and doesn't always go "bang" when intended if it gets too dirty or rains - kind of a disadvantage should the rifle get away from him, not to mention that being addicted to a bunch of drug-based tonics probably makes it hard to him to aim a pistol anyway. Also, if you haven't ever picked up a walker before, they are about six pounds and about a foot and a half long - I personally can't run with one on my belt, and doubt I could swim either. If this is an issue (or having two guns is against some rule I missed), I can change the armament up to the norm.

I voted "2" for pretty much the above reason^ Period correct everything doesn't seem as fun as general "Wild West" type stuff, though I'd go for one in the case of social issues and setting. Not really offended by slavery and racism taking place in a fictional story set during the times when slavery was taking place and racism was everywhere. To me it would seem a little more immoral to ignore it and pretend it never happened.

Oh, so I don't need to re-write? Wicked. This should be fun.

I try to justify the rifle at the end of my post above - namely that cartridge pistols weren't invented either(or at least in common north American use) until about 10 years before that rifle was made at the earliest - in fact, in 1849 there were only two revolvers in existance (Patterson Colt and the Walker - only one of which was really suitable as a proper weapon), both cap and ball. See above quote if you missed it in the text-wall there :P. If that reasoning doesn't work or the western equivalent of an assault rifle just doesn't fly because of sheer OP-ness, I have no problems swapping it out - but could I still have a period correct singleshot musket or a really early singleshot cartridge converted rifle, or are we just doing the Cowpoke brand wheelgun for sake of keeping it a little simpler in terms of range and damage maths? Happy with it either way, and not trying to sound know-it-ally (just a gun nut), let me know!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:26:37 AM by ApatheticExcuse »
Sometimes I think I'd have an easier time surviving Cataclysm IRL than in game.

Offline wilson7755

• Survivor
  • Hey nerds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:34 AM »
Are coach guns in the Gold rush era? I'm just makin' sure before I make a sheet for just in case if a sibling dies.
Endlessly causing shenanigans.

ajwilli1

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 03:13:43 AM »
Ehh... you know what. We'll just use fictionalized weapons. I didn't realize we were still using muskets and crap around the gold rush era.

Anything that existed during the Wild West goes. With the exception to semi-automatics or early machine guns. Gattling guns and all that will come later into the RP.

Offline wilson7755

• Survivor
  • Hey nerds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 03:16:55 AM »
Aw sweet, is it fine that I make a character sheet?
Endlessly causing shenanigans.