Author Topic: [SPOILERS] The Outpost  (Read 16118 times)

Offline stk2008

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] The Outpost
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Has this been added to latest version? if so how would one find it? :)

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
Not yet, I'm waiting to get a decent bit cobbled together so that it is worth building up for the player.

I'm currently looking at getting trade caravan guard missions to work like they do in fallout 2.  No tedium for the player and extremely simple AI.

EDIT:  Hmmm, reversing it to hunt caravans would also work if you joined the bandits...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:34:03 AM by acidia »

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:35 AM »
Re folks not finding the vault, we recently added a few text blurbs about it (including one dead-giveaway note).  Give people a week or so and they ought to start making their way into the Dead Zone.

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »

(It's a slow animation)

This is a debug test for the outpost/colony mission system I'm looking at for the ranch commune at the moment.  Trying to use the existing system is nearly impossible, I don't even know if an NPC can actually handle having two missions at the same time.  I'll give the window merchant in the refugee center a comparable menu so you can transit back without walking.  General idea would be to have the commune missions focus on labor and food production, the refugee center act as a caravan hub, and necropolis (or somewhere else) become a combat mission hub.  Might add a 'Assign Ally to Salvage Mission' that converts houses to looted house on the map in exchange for some profit... but that might fit the atmosphere of a different camp better.  Thoughts?

I also need a better name... [SOMETHING] Commune   

EDIT:  Trying to simulate time quickly without breaching the main game loop... I wonder if I could temporarily teleport the characters to the -10 z level for safe keeping when everyone is on their missions?  It would keep them stationary and allow time to pass properly in the main game loop without having the game lag to hell if you need to pass multiple days 'in mission.'  The only other thing I could think of is creating an empty X/admin dimension but that would be a lot more work.  Hey, it might even be fun... dig down far enough and you'll run into your NPC buddies (or just their corpses) that died on bandit patrol rotting in hell.  This sounds a feature the more I think about it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:31:25 AM by acidia »

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:21 AM »
Supposed to be able to handle multi-missions, but IIRC we've never tested 'em.  Looks impressive, in any event; I'm curious re the field displaying that terrain-looking info (current state of field?) and don't have a great name for the commune.  "Agricultural" doesn't do much, I'm afraid.

Offline Sehn Knight

• Zombie Food
  • Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 05:26:44 AM »
Could the outpost have a personal storage shed where you could drop some of yours or your survivors equipment?

Offline mwswimmer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Name it Woodbury, or Tacoma It has a nice ring to it
Hey guys im on Leave so i can finally contribute more.

Offline Antistar

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 12:41:27 AM »
Maybe it could the same (or similar) random name generation as used in world creation.

Offline vache

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »
Cities have randomly generated names.  You could name it after the nearest city.

Offline KA101

• Administrator
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
Cities have randomly generated names.  You could name it after the nearest city.

This is probably the best way to go: that way people will finally notice the city names pre-mortem.  (We use 'em in the memorial logs.)

Offline Zireael

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »

That's a great idea!

Offline Coyote

• Zombie Food
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »

This is probably the best way to go: that way people will finally notice the city names pre-mortem.  (We use 'em in the memorial logs.)

Off-topic, but it feels stupid to make a thread just for this suggestion:

There could be city limit/mile marker signs on the side of the road. Real fragile, so cars can just flatten 'em without much issue.

Alternately, the city name could spawn on nearby newspapers on the ground.

Offline jokermatt999

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
I seriously can't wait until this gets merged. As for creating another dimension, if there's no current system for it, it'd be nice to have one, but -10 Z is a decent quick fix since that's a project in its own right.

Offline Coolthulhu

• Contributor
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:22 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using -10 z-level as a workaround here. In 2D mode it would work just fine, but in 3D mode it would simulate the alternate dimension every turn. 3D mode isn't yet capable of running 2 z-levels at once, but it is supposed to have that functionality and only in the form of running all z-levels at once.

A better idea would be adding some large number to x and/or y coords. For example, half of the maximum value of 32 bit integer. Anything beyond that would be a special area where mapgen would use special rules. Players could never reach area this far without cheating/debugging/getting a bug. Later on there could be a special fix for cases at "the edge of the world", but that would be a very minor thing - more of a novelty, like Minecraft's Far Lands.

Offline acidia

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 11:03:30 PM »
I'll look into the nearest town name thing... are the town names decent (versus silly) though?

The biggest issue with throwing the npc off to a far corner is that they are stored with a particular map title.  By saving people in "hell" I don't have to create a new list of NPCs to be managed because I always know where they are stored, in the map square -10z from the quest giver.  Creating a single z level shadow world to save everyone and allow for simulating time might be interesting... how difficult will it be to keep separate z levels that will not be simulated in the rest of the world?  Creating an entire region may be unnecessary, having a single 'end of time' location to store people would work but keeping track of who needs to return where would create a lot more info that needs to be stored/loaded.